• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Illinois State Game Thread, Sat., Feb. 15th, 2020, 6:00p CT

Started by wh, February 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Valpo Seeks Season Sweep of Illinois State

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2019-20/19701/valpo-seeks-season-sweep-of-illinois-state/

Television – MVC TV Network (FOX Sports Midwest, NBC Sports Chicago, FOX Sports Indiana) – Mitch Holthus (play-by-play) and Rich Zvosec (analyst)

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AMValpo Seeks Season Sweep of Illinois State http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2019-20/19701/valpo-seeks-season-sweep-of-illinois-state/ Television – MVC TV Network (FOX Sports Midwest, NBC Sports Chicago, FOX Sports Indiana) – Mitch Holthus (play-by-play) and Rich Zvosec (analyst)

That read just like War and Peace.

VUGrad1314

This game is essential. We cannot get caught looking ahead to our game with Drake in Des Moines. We have to get back to .500 and complete step two of the path to avoiding Thursday. Illinois State is an aggressive team but they foul a lot so we should be able to take advantage of that. They prefer playing faster it seems and they like to shoot. If the shots are falling they're really tough (and they tend to be pretty good at home). We definitely need to come out and play well to win this one. I'll probably have to watch this one on the computer though because I definitely don't want to miss UNI @Loyola on ESPN2. That game should be amazing.

SanityLost17

Of our 3 remaining road games this one is actually the least important.  Winning either of the other 2 would be better than winning this one, but since those 2 will be hard to win I suppose this one is the most important. 

I guess it just depends on how you look at it. 

VUGrad1314

A big part of getting into the top 6 of a conference is beating the teams behind you in the standings. If you're trying to not be a bottom rung team you have to beat the teams behind you in the conference. It's a simple as that. Does it have as much obvious and overt meaning to the seeding and Valpo's fortunes vis a vis Thursday night? No but a loss here is absolutely devastating to those hopes when you realize that we have to play Drake and Indiana State on the road where they've been terrific defending home court, and a surging Missouri State team finally starting to live up to its talent as well as a healthy and very strong Bradley team. There's no other way of looking at it. We need this game. This team in the position they are in cannot get caught looking ahead at any point. The next game on the schedule is the most important game until it's over and then the next one takes its place. That must be the mindset of this team going forward if they are to finish in the top six. Lock in, focus, and play well. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

Just Sayin

Valpo's defense has improved both for the season and more so within the conference. From this point on, if they play good defense, they could beat anyone on the rest of the schedule. Assuming they don't throw up air balls every game.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Valpo seems to be playing better and ISU is awful. If Valpo plays their game, it will be a decisive win.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AM

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2019-20/19701/valpo-seeks-season-sweep-of-illinois-state/

Television – MVC TV Network (FOX Sports Midwest, NBC Sports Chicago, FOX Sports Indiana) – Mitch Holthus (play-by-play) and Rich Zvosec (analyst)

This has to be sort of underwhelming for Mitch Holthus (a very good play-by-play announcer). He is the radio play-by-play guy for the Kansas City Chiefs. Going from the Super Bowl to an MVC game in Normal, IL in two weeks is a pretty big change.

4throwfan

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 15, 2020, 10:01:40 AM
Quote from: wh on February 14, 2020, 08:03:50 AM

This has to be sort of underwhelming for Mitch Holthus (a very good play-by-play announcer). He is the radio play-by-play guy for the Kansas City Chiefs. Going from the Super Bowl to an MVC game in Normal, IL in two weeks is a pretty big change.

Ideally, VU puts on such an incredible display that it is actually a huge step up in excitement for him.

VUGrad1314

Obligatory thread bump so that tonight's game thread doesn't get lost in the shuffle this close to game time. Let's get this win and complete this sweep! We need it! Lock in focus and let's get it done! One game at a time! Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

NativeCheesehead

Will be watching on a couple hour delay tonight. If we lose I'm blaming all of you crazy people.

GoldenCrusader87

Perfect opportunity to break the pattern by winning 2 straight

nkvu

valpotx

Sackey just had one of the worst back-to-back plays I have seen in a long time.  A lazy ass pass, and then didn't hustle back on defense, until it was too late.

It kills me how many times we make lazy passes, assuming that the defenders will just stand still.  Clay just did the same thing on that last second basket.  Pathetic and lazy ass passing.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

many
frustrated
noises

Getting close to losing interest in watching this trash.

VUSL98

That wasn't pretty.  Poor passing leading to turnovers.  No strength to the basket.  Apparently, getting to the game site early means nothing.

valpotx

From down 7 with around 1 minute left, to down 17.  That was the worst stretch of basketball I have ever seen.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

nkvu

Correction. We stunk it up early, and we stunk it up late making the entire first half stink. Man, we just cannot play decent in consecutive games. We lose our "glue guy" and the team just falls completely apart. We don't play defense, we don't have an offense. Maybe we'll get it together and play an outstanding second half and only lose by ten. Pitiful performance, just pitiful. 

Thankfully I don't have a tv feed here so I don't have to see this performance. It was way painful listening it.