• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Something lighthearted for a change

Started by wh, April 28, 2020, 09:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Funny story about Dwyane Wade betting (and losing) his Porsche to former Cleveland State great Norris Cole:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/dwyane-wade-norris-cole-recall-porsche-bet

It got me to thinking about some of the funny stories I've heard over the years from friends and relatives who got in over their heads in bets or card games (usually in their younger days and usually with alcohol involved).

Does anyone have a good story to share?

vu84v2

OK, I will tell one related to very minimal gambling - but more Valpo related.

I was at the Valpo-Arizona game in Tucson in 2001 (the game decided by Jason Gardner's four point play). Great game, nip and tuck all the way.

I am sitting around some really nice Arizona fans and we are having good conversations before and during the game. At some point in the game, Antti Nikkila gets fouled and goes to the line to shoot free throws. I tell the Arizona fans that I would bet anyone a dollar that an Arizona player was going to commit a lane violation on the free throw. One guy immediately takes that bet. Then, in Antti's patented form he "pump fakes" his free throw and two or three Arizona players fall into the lane. Antti then misses the free throw. The Arizona fans laughed so hard and the guy paid me my dollar on the spot.

Chairback

My fun story. Going into the sweet 16 game at St Louis and at the entrance door I was waiting in line to get in.  I turned around and Jerry Krause was inches behind me also waiting to get in.  He was with another guy I did not recognize. I said hello to him and asked him if he was a Valpo fan.  He said he was a fan of Bryce Drew.   

78crusader

This isn't necessarily a short story that falls into the "lighthearted" column but I'll share it anyway.  I grew up in Valpo and both my parents attended and then worked for VU for a long time before retiring in 1988.  When I was 10 my dad took me to a coaches' clinic at Valpo, hosted by Coach Gene Bartow (he and my dad were friends).  John Wooden from UCLA was there, believe it or not (this was pre-Lew Alcindor and Walton but I think he had already won 2 NCAA titles in '64 and '65) and gave a great talk.  The room, as you might imagine, was mesmerized by his presence and his words, all of which were instructive, uplifting and encouraging.  Keep in mind I'm only 10 years old but I knew who he was and remember a lot of what he said that day.  After the talk Coach Wooden left to go downstairs to the old dressing room at Hilltop to change out of his workout gear.  (I remember thinking the locker room was not nice enough for such a basketball legend.)  My dad took me down there and introduced me to him.  Even though he was scheduled to leave and catch a flight out of O'Hare, he stopped what he was doing and talked to us for what seemed like a long time.  He asked my dad and me several questions and listened to us.  He was kind and thoughtful and respectful.  Looking back I can understand how just one visit from him to a potential recruit would be all that he needed to get a commitment.  He gave me his autograph and wished me and my dad the best.  I remember that day like it just happened.

Paul

bbtds

Quote from: 78crusader on April 29, 2020, 02:45:10 PM
This isn't necessarily a short story that falls into the "lighthearted" column but I'll share it anyway.  I grew up in Valpo and both my parents attended and then worked for VU for a long time before retiring in 1988.  When I was 10 my dad took me to a coaches' clinic at Valpo, hosted by Coach Gene Bartow (he and my dad were friends).  John Wooden from UCLA was there, believe it or not (this was pre-Lew Alcindor and Walton but I think he had already won 2 NCAA titles in '64 and '65) and gave a great talk.  The room, as you might imagine, was mesmerized by his presence and his words, all of which were instructive, uplifting and encouraging.  Keep in mind I'm only 10 years old but I knew who he was and remember a lot of what he said that day.  After the talk Coach Wooden left to go downstairs to the old dressing room at Hilltop to change out of his workout gear.  (I remember thinking the locker room was not nice enough for such a basketball legend.)  My dad took me down there and introduced me to him.  Even though he was scheduled to leave and catch a flight out of O'Hare, he stopped what he was doing and talked to us for what seemed like a long time.  He asked my dad and me several questions and listened to us.  He was kind and thoughtful and respectful.  Looking back I can understand how just one visit from him to a potential recruit would be all that he needed to get a commitment.  He gave me his autograph and wished me and my dad the best.  I remember that day like it just happened.

Paul

John Wooden may have been coaching at UCLA but I bet he was excited to be back in Indiana where he grew up and life was so much simpler without all the Hollywood/L.A. hoopla. And that was Hilltop Gym. Remember, here is where Wooden went to high school in Martinsville:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/John+R.+Wooden+Middle+School/@39.4191696,-86.4271899,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMnUqe2Ze1lHaXIdroVYpxAbCcMlJehBasByXjw!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMnUqe2Ze1lHaXIdroVYpxAbCcMlJehBasByXjw%3Dw152-h86-k-no!7i4320!8i2432!4m5!3m4!1s0x886c8ff04c2e2f7b:0x1ee4bf1628e8c19d!8m2!3d39.4191607!4d-86.4271695

Yes, it's now a middle school with his name on it but it wasn't all that fancy.

KL31NY

I saw Ray Meyer's name mentioned in another part of the forum, and he has a funny story about basketball and religion within this documentary. The whole thing is good if you have the time to watch it all, but the Meyer story starts at 13:17 in case the time-key setup doesn't work properly.

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176