• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who uses the extra year and comes back?

Started by wh, February 09, 2021, 11:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Curious what everyone thinks will happen next year? Who among Eron, Mileek, Zion and Nick do we think would want to come back? Has the NCAA even discussed details of how this all works logistically with scholarship numbers, roster size, etc?

mj

I think Nick is gone. I'd like to have Eron back but he might be ready to start his career. Mileek would be nice for depth. Same with Zion.
I believe that we will win.

AlaskaCrusader19

To be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone returns. I believe Valpo is at 13 scholarships for next year, so any additional scholarships would be difficult to support financially. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling times aren't any too easy in the athletic office right now.

valpotx

I have to believe that all will graduate.  If any decide to prolong their basketball career by a year, they will do so as a grad transfer, and I would wish them well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuny98

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on February 09, 2021, 06:59:05 PMTo be honest, I'd be surprised if anyone returns. I believe Valpo is at 13 scholarships for next year, so any additional scholarships would be difficult to support financially. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling times aren't any too easy in the athletic office right now.
I don't see the addition of 2 maybe 3 extra scholarships being something that would be difficult to support financially. It's mostly fixed costs for the University, so giving an extra couple scholarships won't impact the overall financial position.
I could see almost everyone using the opportunity to get some free grad school classes. Eron is the only one that I'd really think would be a big contributor from a basketball standpoint (assuming Nick is gone). Mileek and Zion could add depth, but with this years Freshman and next years class, I'd rather they get the minutes.

wh

In trying to get more clarity on how this whole thing will work, I came across this article:

What Does the NCAA Extra Year of Eligibility Mean for Recruiting?

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

It says that every student athlete will receive an extra year of eligibility, but farther down it appears to convey that individual programs/conferences don't have to honor it.

"Of course, not all schools are allowing seniors to return. One caveat to the NCAA's ruling on an extra year of eligibility is that individual schools and conferences have the authority to adopt this rule or not. This means that some schools may allow seniors to return for an extra year of eligibility, while others may choose not to offer this due to program budgets, housing availability, etc. For example, the Ivy League announced that it would not give an extra year of eligibility to student-athletes whose season has been cut short by the coronavirus pandemic."

I think I'm now more confused than ever. Calling on PO to ask ML how Valpo and the MVC have interpreted this ruling and will players in their final year of eligibility be given the choice to return for another year and take us over the standard 13-player limit.

VUGrad1314

I agree that Nick is probably gone. I would love to see Eron Gordon return Zion is a good defender and nice for depth and Mileek would be great for experience and five extra fouls in the frontcourt. That said, the wings are going to be crowded so it's tough to see how the minutes are going to look with Edwards and Barrett (pre-injury) were showing a lot of potential. Next year's class looks really strong too and will prove to need minutes as well. I'd be fine with letting the seniors move on but having the experienced players could be important. I don't know I'm of two minds on this.

vok22

Here is what I was thinking for rosters and rotations next year, assuming nobody transfers and the seniors are gone. I am sure there will be a transfer or two, but hopefully they aren't major. List in order of starting to least minutes.

1- Sackey, Deaverio/Palesse, Siggy
2- Edwards, Palesse, Goodnews
3- Barrett, Woodyard
4- Clay, Young
5- Krikke, JO, Emil

That puts 1 senior, two juniors, and 2 sophomores in the starting lineup. The bench is the interesting part. Our primary bench unit would be 4 freshmen and a sophomore. Goodnews can come in as a 4th year junior and add some seniority, but even then it's a very young lineup. I think the 2 seniors I would really like to see back are Zion and Eron. Zion has proven to be a fantastic defender (albeit he does foul quite a bit). Eron has been a great leader down the stretch and has even gotten his shot to fall a lot more lately. I think those are two guys that could really be a boost, but it would really complicate the lineup. As much as I want to get our freshmen as much playing time as possible next year, it could be rough to have our entire bench unit be freshmen, with a sophomore rounding it out. Nevertheless, it will be fun to watch. This group looks like they are really starting to believe in each other, and I think the freshmen coming in will add to that.

M

I'd be surprised if any of them came back.  I don't think any of them have NBA aspirations. Nick seems done, Mileek seems to have played his way out of the rotation (I admittedly haven't followed much).  Keep those young guys in house and keep getting better.

oklahomamick

Coming back for an extra year?  We can't get players to come back without extra years.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

I do not see Valpo allowing the number of scholarships to go over 13 (due to budget limitations). I could see Morgan or Gordon coming back (but probably not both and it seems questionable that either would take another year with an understanding that they are a role player). If McMillan wants to continue playing college ball, my guess is that he'll try to play elsewhere.

vu84v2

Quote from: vok22 on February 10, 2021, 11:35:20 AM
Here is what I was thinking for rosters and rotations next year, assuming nobody transfers and the seniors are gone. I am sure there will be a transfer or two, but hopefully they aren't major. List in order of starting to least minutes.

3- Barrett, Woodyard
4- Clay, Young
5- Krikke, JO, Emil

This "top minutes" lineup is essentially the same as this year. Do you think that will happen?

After watching the games this past weekend, I had a couple of thoughts on this (and admittedly I know little about the new players coming in).
-JO needs to play significant time at the 4. He is too good of a shooter to be playing behind Krikke (who obviously will play big minutes).
-I also see an issue with Clay and Edwards. Both seem very intent on being the alpha dog on the court (and you need an alpha dog). However, I am not sure how comfortable these two are playing in the same lineup. For this team to improve further, coaches will need to define the roles for these two players and get their buy-in.

vok22

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 10, 2021, 12:01:20 PM

3- Barrett, Woodyard
4- Clay, Young
5- Krikke, JO, Emil

This "top minutes" lineup is essentially the same as this year. Do you think that will happen?

After watching the games this past weekend, I had a couple of thoughts on this (and admittedly I know little about the new players coming in).
-JO needs to play significant time at the 4. He is too good of a shooter to be playing behind Krikke (who obviously will play big minutes).
-I also see an issue with Clay and Edwards. Both seem very intent on being the alpha dog on the court (and you need an alpha dog). However, I am not sure how comfortable these two are playing in the same lineup. For this team to improve further, coaches will need to define the roles for these two players and get their buy-in.

That starting lineup was our original starting lineup this year against Vandy and UIC, so I just assumed with all those players returning and no Eron to take Edwards spot, that will be the starting lineup. That being said I am sure there will be changes and we don't know who is transferring. As for JO, I should've probably put him behind both Clay and Krikke. I can't see him starting, but he will definitely be receiving a lot more minutes next year (and he really should right now, IMO).

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 10, 2021, 11:02:16 AMMileek would be great for experience and five extra fouls in the frontcourt.

What would we do with the other 38 minutes of the game?   ;D

oklahomamick

Watching the Bradley game and we are in the second half and he hasn't checked in yet. 
CRUSADERS!!!

IndyEIT777

Quote from: vok22 on February 10, 2021, 12:14:12 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on February 10, 2021, 12:01:20 PM

3- Barrett, Woodyard
4- Clay, Young
5- Krikke, JO, Emil

That starting lineup was our original starting lineup this year against Vandy and UIC, so I just assumed with all those players returning and no Eron to take Edwards spot, that will be the starting lineup. That being said I am sure there will be changes and we don't know who is transferring. As for JO, I should've probably put him behind both Clay and Krikke. I can't see him starting, but he will definitely be receiving a lot more minutes next year (and he really should right now, IMO).

I actually haven't really seen Clay play this year with that Alpha mentality. I think next year Krikke and Edwards are going to be our top 2. Edwards looks far more assertive than Clay. I get that Clay has gotten far more attention from opponents, but how can he be the guy if he can't put up double digit points more games than not.

While I may not think Krikke has that "alpha" instinct either, he at least has produced consistently and has done significant scoring for us. I would like to see him rebound more however, that's one area I do like Donovan over Krikke.

As for seniors coming back, frankly Eron is the only one that I would be happy with as a role player for next year's team. I would want Zion back if Sackey were to leave. I don't see Sackey leaving though so he's going to take minutes and I want to see a freshman point guard taking minutes behind him developing.

nkvu

I'm kind of wondering if it might not be good thing if Mileek decided to take advantage of the COVID exception and came back next year. He hasn't played much for what appears to be physical reasons this year but he hasn't totally sucked in the minutes he's been getting lately.  Unless Emile has been in the ice and emerges next year as Captain America, we are going to be short on big men. That will limit the time Krikke and Jacob can play together, and  we will be seriously undersized and under bulked in the paint when they are both out. Mileek, who has seemed to me to have learned (finally) to defend without fouling constantly could play valuable minutes giving the other two bigs a breather. Don't know if we have a scholarship or if he has the desire, but he could be a valuable contributor next year.

AB

He's clearly wasn't 100% healthy this year to start, but showing better fitness of late. Have we already seen his full potential? Good shooter if healthy and has improved post D. Needs work on his post up mid range game and ball handling skills. Not sure how much his basketball IQ could improve? Two promising forwards coming in as Freshman, plus Emile (sp?), Krikke and JO. Crowded position. If he puts in the offseason work, gets his body right and has a really good "5th" year, he improves his stock for making money overseas if he desires. Positives outweigh the negatives to stay. He'd be a good rec league player at the Y if he leaves this year.

nkvu

I actually forgot about Woodyard (haven't seen much about him lately) but Young seems to be referred to as a 2 guard, though he certainly has the height to play the 3 and maybe the 4. But I'm more concerned with having someone to guard and bang with the bigger bodied 5s who seem to do well when guarded by our guys one on one. But like I said, if Emile somehow managed to develop (without playing this year) into someone who could contribute next year, then I agree the 4/5 would be a crowded field if Mileek came back. But there are a few ifs there. If Emile can contribute and if Young and Woodyard have the bodies to play the four. 

vu72

The new guys are basicly 2/3 players.  Great shooters but not bangers. Woodyard is listed at 6'6"-6'7" and Young is 6'8".  They will create some interesting mismatches but again, I don't see them playing on the inside.  Let's hope JO put on 10-15 lbs of muscle.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on February 24, 2021, 08:12:34 AM
The new guys are basicly 2/3 players.  Great shooters but not bangers. Woodyard is listed at 6'6"-6'7" and Young is 6'8".  They will create some interesting mismatches but again, I don't see them playing on the inside.  Let's hope JO put on 10-15 lbs of muscle.

I have become a huge JO fan. Like everyone, I was wondering how effective he would be against skilled D-1 players as big as he is and in most cases more experienced. I think the answer is obvious. He is a load to deal with. It's also interesting that his game has expanded from the outside in, almost something you never see from a big man. Early on, most of his shots were uncontested 3's. He seemed a lot more comfortable out there than banging down low. Now he's a threat outside - and inside. He's not afraid of contact or getting his shot blocked. He seems to have a nose for the ball and has started getting some putback's and other garbage points, and unlike most bigs he's deadly from 3. At the same time, he has become much more physical defensively. Paraphrasing what he said in a recent interview, in high school they simply positioned him in the paint and he intimidated everyone by his presence. Bottom line - he's certainly a player to keep an eye on as we go forward.

justducky

I'd be reluctant to risk turning JO into something he isn't designed to be. Even with 10 extra lbs he would be an undersized inside defender and other aspects of his game might suffer.  While his ball handling continues to rapidly improve I think we should be patient with our future assumptions of how best he can help the team. Once you go that bulk up route it seems to be a one way street.

I could be wrong on this so fire away and try to convince me.  ;)

vu72

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2021, 10:27:27 AM
I'd be reluctant to risk turning JO into something he isn't designed to be. Even with 10 extra lbs he would be an undersized inside defender and other aspects of his game might suffer.  While his ball handling continues to rapidly improve I think we should be patient with our future assumptions of how best he can help the team. Once you go that bulk up route it seems to be a one way street.

I could be wrong on this so fire away and try to convince me.  ;)

Presuming the listed weights are accurate, Ben gained 10 pounds over last year, Emil gained 25 pounds and Donovan stayed the same. Mileek stayed the same but gained 10 pounds from his sophomore year to his junior year. I think given their ages and lifting regimen that they most likely will gain 10 to 15 pounds and may even grow an inch or two.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

I kind of saw Young as having a similar size and skill set as Clay. Given the number of guards we will have next year, I'm looking at them as playing a stretch 4 (maybe some 3 in certain matchups). That leaves Krikke and JO to hold down the 5 and absent another big.  That precludes them from playing together which keeps Krikke from playing much traditional 4 which I think is his best position.  Anyway I think the team will be a matchup problem for teams when they are on offense given our size and the athleticism of our perimeter players, but leaves us vulnerable in the paint on defense. Should be interesting to see who gets minutes at what positions next year. 

vu72

Eron has certainly improved his shooting from the 3 (now at 33.8%) but in general we are graduating three guys who aren't very good shots and bringing three guys who are lights out shooters and bring back a healthy Barrett who was hitting at 40% before his injury.  If Donovan can get his shooting back in order we could be playing a "five out" offense next year.