• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Crusaders at UNI, Sunday, 2/14/21, 6p CT

Started by wh, February 14, 2021, 05:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

The spread for Saturday's game was UNI -7. Following  the Crusader's 13 point victory tonight's game is rated even.

The Crusaders have scored at least 70 points in 3 of our last 4 games. All 3 were victories.

justducky

Jacobson is the more experienced coach and likely will make better game to game adjustments. No way do we win again by double digits and the edge has to lean slightly toward UNI.

Anybody hear anything about Connor Barrett? Did he make the trip or is an injured player required to stay home (Covid)?

bbtds

Wasn't it a leg injury during the Drake game that knocked Connor out of action? I believe I saw that happen during one of the Drake games.

wh

I think I saw somewhere (PO?) that Connor is out for the remainder of the season.

VUGrad1314

Sweeping a team in a back to back Or even beating them twice within the same week is really hard to do:

See: Drake UNI last year End of season\MVC Tournament

See also: Drake Loyola this weekend

wh

Good news for the Crusaders. Both Evansville and Bradley lost this afternoon. Another win over UNI today will tie us for 5th place with Evansville and put us ahead of 7th place Bradley by 3 games in the loss column.

vu72

Drake beat Loyola without Tank Hemphill, a guy who scored 30 points against us over the 2 games. He broke a foot and is out for the season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Sackey has an amazing ability to drive into a bunch of defenders and then turn the ball over. He is taking us out of this game all by himself.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on February 14, 2021, 05:37:41 PMDrake beat Loyola without Tank Hemphill, a guy who scored 30 points against us over the 2 games. He broke a foot and is out for the season.

There is hope that they might get him back for the NCAA Tournament if they should make it there.

NativeCheesehead

While the freshman still like like freshman at time they are doing a much better job of shot selection. Not firing up crap 3s early in the clock, working through the offense. Still some execution to work on but much better overall.

oklahomamick

Gave up some stupid points at the buzzer again.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 14, 2021, 06:49:15 PM
While the freshman still like like freshman at time they are doing a much better job of shot selection. Not firing up crap 3s early in the clock, working through the offense. Still some execution to work on but much better overall.

Goodnews, Jacob and Sheldon have 21 of our 33 points on 8-13 shooting. If not for them, this would be a UNI blowout. Our guard play overall is terrible. Donovan had a terrible 1st half (3TO's).

valpotx

I will never understand why you feel the need to throw down a monster jam that is more risky, versus a normal dunk or layup.  Wasted attempts...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

UNI is up in our grill defensively, and we look helpless in overcoming it.

wh

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2021, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 14, 2021, 06:49:15 PMWhile the freshman still like like freshman at time they are doing a much better job of shot selection. Not firing up crap 3s early in the clock, working through the offense. Still some execution to work on but much better overall.
Goodnews, Jacob and Sheldon have 21 of our 33 points on 8-13 shooting. If not for them, this would be a UNI blowout. Our guard play overall is terrible. Donovan had a terrible 1st half (3TO's).

Is it reasonable to be concerned given some of the apparent frustration shown by his family with Lottich's coaching style that he might have one foot out of the program already? I really hope not. We're going to need him if we're ever going to truly contend in this league. This team needs to stick together or we'll always be a "young team" with the same stupid tired excuses rinse lather repeat and never getting anywhere. I also hope the name change doesn't piss off any athletes but I suspect it might. It might also attract others who otherwise weren't coming to Valpo but I really hope we don't have to guess as to whether or not that move was a net positive or negative. I find myself becoming concerned (and possibly irrationally so) about the future of the program the department and even perhaps the University itself.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2021, 07:18:28 PMBen being totally outplayed by Carter.

Carter's pretty good. I think this UNI team is going to be really good and finally live up to its promise next year when everyone comes back healthy and if they stay that way. As I said last night the experience of having to play a bunch of games without Green can only help them when he gets back. They will be better in the long run for this.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2021, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 14, 2021, 06:49:15 PM

We are definitely playing more like Etwetritschen and less like Panthers, Bulldogs & Ramblers. We need to go on a crusade.

BTW, Who is G. College? That announcer keeps saying he is G. College.

VUGrad1314

Postgame question for Lottich: How many more years until we finally have a consistent product on the floor that will allow us to know what we're going to get on a regular basis? We're used to that around here nd we haven't had that under you since Peters left... I'm just wondering how much time you need to finally start making it work on a consistent basis. What's the timeline?

nkvu

Not much going our way this game. They're getting every loose ball, lots of offensive rebounds, lots of threes, most of the calls.  Looks like the team just wants to get on the bus and go home. What a difference a day makes.

vok22

Today was filled with self inflicted wounds. It looked like a young team playing. This was very winnable, but we are young so sloppy games are to be expected. As for Clay leaving, it's possible but it wouldn't make me any less hopefully for the future with this group. He's a liability on offense as it stands. Too much of the offense gets run through him when he's in when he simply isn't a good enough scorer or playmaker. Great defender and rebounder, but I wouldn't be too concerned if he left.

bbtds

Quote from: nkvu on February 14, 2021, 07:31:15 PM
Not much going our way this game. They're getting every loose ball, lots of offensive rebounds, lots of threes, most of the calls.  Looks like the team just wants to get on the bus and go home. What a difference a day makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcq_SLOTlYM

I was actually trying to remember this song earlier today. Don't ask why.

oklahomamick

Needed that one for the standings and for my bets.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

Clay is just not the same guy on offense nowadays
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

I mean, seriously, Clay has regressed so much on offense.  I don't hope he leaves after this season, but as another poster mentioned, it would not hurt as much if he left after this season, as I would have thought after last season
"Don't mess with Texas"