• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Kansas, Brent Musburger Make News at Iowa State

Started by KL31NY, February 25, 2013, 10:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

First the game. #6 Kansas defeated Iowa State 108-96 @ Hilton Coliseum in Ames in overtime in another failed upset bid for ISU against KU. The loss breaks a 22-game home win streak for the Cyclones. The game did feature some controversy, including a questionable foul call that gave the Jayhawks game-tying FTs near the end of regulation and a Ray McCallum-esque dunk in the final seconds of OT from Elijah Johnson when the game was easily over.

But before the game, an Iowa State student got this photo with Brent Musburger, adding a little more intrigue to the seemingly never-ending Katherine Webb saga
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/february/brent-musburger-signed-a-giant-photo-of-katherine-webb-at-iowa-state-tonight.html I actually know this student. He is a graduate of my high school. I even was a classmate of his older sister.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

IndyValpo

ISU was robbed. Seldom do I think that the officials decide a game but last night there was no question they decided it.  There was a phantom foul leading to a 3 point play, an obvious charge that the ref swallowed his whistle on then called a foul on ISU seconds later as 2 players were laying on the ground.  Oh and a fifth foul on Whitey that that incorrectly charged to #40 who was 3 feet from the play.....all in the last 2+ minutes of regulation.

Kyle321n

Musburger is awesome.  I didn't watch the game and I heard ISU got screwed but the important thing in this story is the awesomeness of Brent Musburger.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

I am very much on the other side in regards to Brent Musburger.  He is a creepy old guy oggling younger women that want nothing to do with him, other than the fact that her career has taken off because of his gross comments.  99% of women don't like what he is doing, especially on national TV.  My fiancee has to deal with this from guys she wants nothing to do with on a daily basis because she is very good looking, and is an Attorney.  If you know Attorneys, there a lot of guys in that profession that are sexist and think they are everything of awesome.  Maybe that is just the HR Manager in me, but it's disgusting.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I honestly have to agree with Valpotx here. Who was Katherine Webb before the National Championship game? Brent Musburger needs to retire, but as most "way past his prime" broadcasters, they are whores in the industry. They keep getting work because of their name, not because they do a good job or not. I mean there are so many broadcasters, play-by-play or color, that no longer interest me. Especially if they work for ESPN in an "at-will/as needed" basis.

vuweathernerd

He's still a decent announcer - far better than the crusty old windbag analyst and Notre Dame worshipper.

Kyle321n

Quote from: valporun on February 26, 2013, 10:06:25 AMI honestly have to agree with Valpotx here. Who was Katherine Webb before the National Championship game? Brent Musburger needs to retire, but as most "way past his prime" broadcasters, they are whores in the industry. They keep getting work because of their name, not because they do a good job or not. I mean there are so many broadcasters, play-by-play or color, that no longer interest me. Especially if they work for ESPN in an "at-will/as needed" basis.

She's a model. She's been in pageants where she is judged solely on her beauty. She was a model before the NCG.  What he was doing is what she gets on a daily basis because that's her career.

Now on the flip side Valpotx's fiance shouldn't have to deal with that because she choose not to use her looks to make money.  But when you are employed solely on your looks you should expect people to look at you and say things like what he said.  And really what he said wasn't that out of line, it was a 60 second throw away line.  You didn't hear things like "We know what AJ's going to be doing after the game" or other innocuously lewd comments.

valporun

Kyle, in terms of Webb, I wasn't asking for an answer to who she is. It was more a throwaway "Who Cares" kind of thing. Her looks and career interest didn't help me care in anyway about the national championship game. It just made for a reason to get Brent Musburger to retire. He might still be better than some college football broadcasters, but he could stand to ride off into the sunset.

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

Kyle321n

Quote from: valporun on February 26, 2013, 10:29:51 AMKyle, in terms of Webb, I wasn't asking for an answer to who she is. It was more a throwaway "Who Cares" kind of thing. Her looks and career interest didn't help me care in anyway about the national championship game. It just made for a reason to get Brent Musburger to retire. He might still be better than some college football broadcasters, but he could stand to ride off into the sunset.

Well it's not really his call on what they do and don't show during the downtime of the game so griping about him talking about her should be aimed at the producer of game and not the announcer.

LaPorteAveApostle

Let's not forget where the real blame lies here:  ND FOOTBALL.

if they didn't blow so hard, he could have been talking about football.

I blame Lennay Kekua.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 26, 2013, 11:57:43 AM
Let's not forget where the real blame lies here:  ND FOOTBALL.

if they didn't blow so hard, he could have been talking about football.

I blame Lennay Kekua.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 26, 2013, 11:57:43 AMLet's not forget where the real blame lies here:  ND FOOTBALL. if they didn't blow so hard, he could have been talking about football. I blame Lennay Kekua.

I had heard that the producers were scanning the crowd for Te'o's girlfriend too but they couldn't find her for some reason.

Imagine what Musburger would have said about her. "She doesn't look 'real' happy in the stands watching Te'o and the Irish fall apart against the Tide."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

KL31NY

It sounds like the Big 12 is admitting mistakes were made but is pretty mum about what mistakes and what punishments may be doled out.

While everyone's making a big deal about the no call on the block/charge play followed with a hold foul called, not as many people are talking about KU's Jeff Withey. He had four fouls late and fouled Korie Lucious at :23 to stop the clock and put ISU on the line. However, Kevin Young is close to the play and raises his hand to get the official's attention and get the foul called on him (old school move). That keeps Withey in the game, and on the controversial play near the end, he gets to the boards on the shot after the block/charge no call, the ball tips off Withey to Johnson, and that's when Johnson's fouled. He then goes to the line, ties the game, and KU wins in OT. Makes that final series even more ridiculous to analyze the refs' impact

Here's a still of that play with Withey and Young that I stumbled across on Twitter. Not even that close.