• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Repeats as HL Softball Champions!

Started by valpopal, May 11, 2013, 03:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomdad

Quote from: jetz on May 13, 2013, 12:06:07 PM
I had the chance to sneak over to the UIC softball field in the middle of the baseball game last weekend to catch the last few outs of the championship softball game.  I really enjoyed watching this faster paced game.  Here's a link to a few pictures I took and put into a Google + album.  They are uncropped and unedited, but anyone can download and do what they like with them.  Boomdad, can you pass these on to the other softball folks, and let me know if you are able to download, please?  Congrats on a great season!  While I am a Michigan man from '85, I hope the Crusader ladies can shock 'em in the Regional.  GO VALPO!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/107694216823525506352/albums/5877492231921532913

Great pics yes was able to down load, will pass along the info thanks for taking them

LaPorteAveApostle

Interesting write-up on our regional from MGoBlog:
http://mgoblog.com/content/preview-ncaa-ann-arbor-softball-regional

here's our bit:
VALPARAISO

Record: 34-25 overall, 11-9 Horizon (that's bad)
Rankings: #186 RPI
Previous meeting: none
Good wins: ??? (win over Iowa State is only major conference victory, beat also-bad Youngstown State for tourney title)
Bad losses: Detroit (five wins this year, tied for second-least in NCAA)

Their lineup is pretty straightforward, with three girls to look out for and one that possibly might be an issue. Their top batter is Brittany Duncan (.349/.478/.514), who I'm told the key against is to go low—she's a big girl that can go long on anything up high, so anything other than a well-executed rise would be ill advised (Wagner seems to be known more for that type of pitch than Driesenga).

The next two to worry about are Janelle Bouchard (.333/.376/.548) and Kaitlyn Ranieri (.322/.429/.399), but they're both freshman and aren't anything [redacted source] has seen in person or on film. My recollection from seeing a game in person is that Amanda Korb (.387/.406/.613) is capable of hitting well, and more or less abused the freshman version of a good pitcher throwing mostly rise and curveballs, but she's only been at the plate 31 times, which makes a current injury or injury from earlier in the year possible. [ED-Ace: I can't find anything to indicate an injury, so I think Korb is just a potentially underutilized pinch-hitter.]

Expect them to start pitcher Taylor Weissenhofer (20-11, 2.29 ERA), who is also a freshman, and is "not fast but spinny with back door curve. [Throws] a lot of curves and off speed pitches," according to my source.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

As usual, no respect because of our conference.  They should note our NCAA games from last year before they disrespect us.  Our softball team is not afraid of any program, which is different than most of our other teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valposter

The more-frequently a mid-major gets to the big stage, the better it is equipped to perform well on said stage.  Last year's expererience should serve this year's softball team well. 

Good luck to Valpo Softball in the Regional!!!
Valpo Baseball:  2012 Horizon League Regular Season Champion!  2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back Horizon League Tournament Champions! 2012 and 2013 Back-To-Back NCAA Tournament Regional Appearances!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 17, 2013, 11:09:25 AMThey should note our NCAA games from last year before they disrespect us. 
Um...good news, they did!

Bad news:  they think we beat Louisville last year...read the penultimate pgh or so :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 17, 2013, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: valpotx on May 17, 2013, 11:09:25 AMThey should note our NCAA games from last year before they disrespect us. 
Um...good news, they did!

Bad news:  they think we beat Louisville last year...read the penultimate pgh or so :/

Well we did beat them until we didn't.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

that...didn't go so well.

at least we didn't get no-hit, and in the last inning and a half, we outhit them 2-nil, and Norway made a nice catch.

I view this as payback for new2ff saying UM was overrated :/

Let's win tomorrow, ladies!

new2ff

I said Michigan was overrated [ RPI & nfca poll ], I didn't say they were a bad team. They are probably a top 11-12 team in my opine [ & that's all it is, an opinion]. They have some great players & will probably be better next year than this.{ But so will the BIG10}
Valpo played a respectful game against them. In order for Valpo to have a chance against a team like Michigan is to increase their strength of schedule. I think Valpo has a shot at winning the Horizon the next 2-3 years & can do it with a .500 or even losing record in pre-conference, so go for a tougher schedule & give the 2 young pitchers the experience.
Go get CMU tomorrow.

valpotx

We have our first realistic chance to get an NCAA victory against CMU, since our win against FSU in the Sweet 16 year.  Get the W!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

Not having Duncan in the lineup really hurts, especially against pitching like we saw yesterday.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman

What time does the Valpo/Cali game start? I assume they give them an hour off. ESPN 3 had it listed as 5:00 p.m. ET / 4:00 p.m. CT.  It's site 5, game 5.

EDIT: The pre-game has started already as of 4:30 p.m. CT.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

mvandersee

During the game vs CMU they said half hour after the conclusion of that game

valpotx

Good NCAA win for the first time since 1998 for a VU sport!  Congrats ladies!  The Cal game is not going well, but we can hold our heads high
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, interesting.

As opposed to last year, when we had two hard-fought losses...this year we had two blowout losses, including getting no-hit, but... we won a game! 

I suppose it's a good trade--especially considering that we weren't supposed to do as much this year, and ended up doing more.

Cheers to the ladies!  You make us proud.

(btw, what happened to Duncan?)

Dave_2010

The Michigan and Cal games were ugly, but well for the trade for a win. It was fun to hear CMU fans talking about how there was no way they would lose to Valpo and then watch them squirm in their seats the whole game as their team went down.

With most of the key contributors coming back next year, this team should be the clear favorite for a Horizon League three-peat in 2014. Here's hoping the baseball team can match the ladies' success next weekend in Youngstown.

valpotx

Funny.  I thought that there would be no way that CMU would beat us as well  :).  I love the overconfidence of some fans/players.  Great season ladies, and I look forward to next year, as we bring back a lot of talent!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 18, 2013, 10:26:50 PMIt was fun to hear CMU fans talking about how there was no way they would lose to Valpo and then watch them squirm in their seats the whole game as their team went down.
That...is classic.  Awesome, classic, awesomely classic.

Congrats, ladies!

boomdad

Not having Duncan in the lineup really hurts, especially against pitching like we saw yesterday.

Well, interesting.

As opposed to last year, when we had two hard-fought losses...this year we had two blowout losses, including getting no-hit, but... we won a game!

I suppose it's a good trade--especially considering that we weren't supposed to do as much this year, and ended up doing more.

Cheers to the ladies!  You make us proud.

(btw, what happened to Duncan?)

My comment to this is to ask the coach.... she was given the green light by the trainer and suited up and ready to go. Im still scratching my head over it.

LaPorteAveApostle

well, if he was experimenting, he picked a hell of a game. 

in the two losses, 14 innings...2 hits.  That was hard to watch.

Like the pre-Prince Tigers sitting Cabrera...whiskey tango FOXtrot?!?

valpotx

Why did we go with Pico in that last game?  Even the announcers were curious about that decision, given how well Taylor has pitched against better competition. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on May 20, 2013, 01:50:31 AMWhy did we go with Pico in that last game?
I assume because she'd just thrown 7 innings--118 pitches.  Probably could have asked her for a couple more. 

Easy to second guess, but I would have pulled her after 4 or 5 with a 3 run lead, trusted it to Pico to finish off the MAC, and saved Taylor for the next one.

Classic baseball "what-if: save your starter" issue.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 20, 2013, 07:00:29 AM
Quote from: valpotx on May 20, 2013, 01:50:31 AMWhy did we go with Pico in that last game?
I assume because she'd just thrown 7 innings--118 pitches.  Probably could have asked her for a couple more. 

Easy to second guess, but I would have pulled her after 4 or 5 with a 3 run lead, trusted it to Pico to finish off the MAC, and saved Taylor for the next one.

Classic baseball "what-if: save your starter" issue.

Watching the Central Michigan game I was wondering about pitch count as well.  The CMU pitcher threw 38 pitches in just the first inning and I was wondering at what point typically would a coach pull a pitcher.  I haven't ever played fast pitch so have no idea about such things.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Typically, pitch count doesn't matter as much in softball, as it is a more natural motion than baseball pitching.  This is why you see a lot of top pitchers throwing both games of a doubleheader.
"Don't mess with Texas"