• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2013

Started by boomdad, August 22, 2012, 11:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

I just checked the live stats for the softball game against #7/9 Tennessee, and we're losing to the Vols, 5-0, in the 6th inning. I haven't looked into the full details, but glad to see we're putting up some fight against a ranked opponent. Not scared off by the numbers in front of "Tennessee".

valporun

Softball loses this morning's game to #7/9 Tennessee, 5-0. They return to the field at 2PM against host Charleston Southern.

valporun

After splitting yesterday's action, winning against host Charleston Southern, Valpo opens today's action against host Charleston Southern. In the first inning, Joy doubled down the left field line, and eventually scored on Bouchard's single to center. Ashlyn Michalak is on the bump for today's game. She's starting out with a 1-0 lead.

valporun

Michalak, in the bottom of the 1st, gave up 4 runs, two home runs consecutively, a 3-run shot by Christian to left-center, then a solo HR by Matthews, also to left-center. After that, we've gone scoreless. In the 3rd inning, currently trailing 4-1, with Taylor Weissenhofer in the circle.

valporun

In the top of the 4th, the Crusaders pick up a run on a McShane double, and Marinec single. On Marinec's single, there was a throwing error that scored McShane, and moved Marinec to second. We now trail 4-2 in the bottom of the 4th at CSU.

valporun

Moving on to the 6th inning, no significant scoring changes. Still 4-2 CSU.

valporun

A lot of action in the top of the 6th for Valpo. McShane had a SAC fly that scored Bridwell, who pinch running for Duncan. Marinec then reached on an error by the 2B, then reached 3rd on an error by the catcher, then the CF added to the error total, in which Marinec was able to score. On this play, Wisniewski and Bouchard scored as well. We've retaken the lead. Now it's 6-4 Valpo in the bottom of the 6th. (Phew!! Did I miss anything?)

valporun

Final score from CSU...Valpo 6, Charleston Southern 5. CSU scored another run on a sac fly in the bottom of the 7th, but didn't do enough to fully comeback. Taylor Weissenhofer gets the win to move to 4-2 on the season. The Crusaders record evens out at 6-6. Good win, ladies!!

valpotx

I see good things for this team again this year!  It looks like we have replaced our pitching, and our hitters are VERY good.  Duncan is very impressive in the early part of the season.  I especially like her 7 BB/2 SO ratio.
"Don't mess with Texas"

boomdad

We have some impressive numbers early in the season, Our pitchers sticks and defense will only get better. If you look at how young we are and look at what we lead in individual and team stats. It becomes even more impressive.

Individual Leaders.

BA-First
RBI - First
HR - Tied for second
Runs _First
Pitching wins- First
Pitching strikeouts- Second

Team Stats

Fielding % - First
HR -Second
RBI- First
Runs -First
Hits - Second

The 2 freshman in the lineup are making an immediate impact. Bouchard already gets my vote as new comer of the year. she has the confidence and moxy of an upper classman. Defense and offense both are spot on.
Kat Raniere in the lead off is a great fit. Number 2 in over all BA. She sets the table very well.

We have 6 hitters over 300 and I really dont believe we have hit our stride yet. Look for much better numbers by Conference play

Nice job ladies keep banging away

new2ff

I'm happy for the Crusaders & the pitchers are looking good & hitters great.
Don't think I'd get too carrried away with comparing to others in conference quite yet. I have seen UWGB play this year & they have a very nice team. They always get started late, but note that Alabama,UNI, Illinois & a very good Drake team were 4 of first games.
Wright State has played UCLA, TX A&M, Mcnesse State, ARk., UNI  & 2-3 other very good teams [ maybe a top 25 RPI schedule.
UIC has played Nebraska 3x [ many say after wins over Ok. & Ok State they could win Big 10], Mi State 2x,AZ State,Il State & USF.
Loyola not quite as tough, but have lost 3 to a very good Coastal Carolina team & FGCU.
Could be that the above might have a lot to do with others stats.
Hope the Crusaders continue to play well, but me & my superstitions,don't want to see them Jinxed.

VULB#62

The ladies took two at Deland today.  FDU and Colgate bite the dust.  Both shutouts.  Speaks to good pitching,  FDU was a one-zip game. Good to beat those NY/NJ teams.

valpotx

Impressive to see Taylor's 17 k's in game 2, for a total of 20 k's in 8 innings!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Impressive to see 17 K's out of 27 batters faced! Great work, Taylor! She had a 3:1 strikeout-walk-ratio, which is incredible, throwing 130 pitches with 78 being for strikes. Great numbers so far for a freshman hurler. I also noticed that one of our assistant coaches, Lauren Ebstein, had some inside information on Colgate, as she came to us after a couple of seasons coaching at Colgate. Can't wait to see more of what this team brings to the table, and helps to save some of our veteran pitching for when conference season comes along.

talksalot

Split today at FGCU's beautiful campus.... 3-0 and now Maine is 1-21 on the season... I tell you... it was the GO VALPO poster... or possibly the good hitting...   Tough loss in the nightcap tonight... scoring a bundle in the T7 for a 10-7 lead... and losing on a walk-off single 11-10...  Good luck in Clearwater this weekend... The games are at the Eddie C Moore field part of the clearwater parks department, NOT USF-softball complex (from what the coach told me last week)

vusupporter

Great job by Amanda Bolton yesterday, throwing a no-hitter against Temple!! Then the Crusaders made it two in a row at this tournament this morning with a win over Big 12 foe Iowa State - taking on Maryland later!

valpotx

Seems like another good team!
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

We did lose to Md 4-0 in the night cap... wrapping up the Florida swing at 10:45 Central this morning against the Big Red of Cornell on Field #9 of the Eddie C Moore Complex.  Cornell will play a triple header on the day, hosting Quinnipiac at 8:30, Valpo at 11:45 and then traveling to the visiting dugout to play Boston College as the capstone game of the tournament at 1:45.  They split yesterday with Radford (L) and Robert Morris (W)

The team will be driving to Orlando after today's game for a late-night flight back to Chicago...which should be ahead of tomorrow's projected snow storm.

valpopal

I had an opportunity to attend the first game of today's doubleheader, and I thought the women looked pretty good. They won the first game 11-3 and the nightcap 5-2 in nine innings on a walk-off 3-run homer by Brittany. They seem like they will be a fun team to watch again this year.

Though temperatures were only in the fifties, I wore a sweatshirt and no jacket, and it was a comfortable afternoon to watch the game. I took some photos during the time I was there, including the following few: 1) Lindsey's follow-through on her home run swing; 2) Lindsey greeted at home by the team; 3) Angie sliding into second (unfortunately, she was out).

new2ff

valpotx

She is a solid hitter.  I love the 2 BB/1 K ratio she has going, and the high average doesn't hurt.  We are winning 5-0 against WSU in the later innings now
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Watched some of the doubleheader against Wright State this afternoon. Though a bit chilly, the sunshine felt good, and the team looked fine again, winning both games: 8-5, 6-2. Jesse was terrific at the plate, batting 6-7 on the day, but she also made a fine defensive play, a sliding catch along the right field line, which I caught in my photo below.

valpotx

Great start to the conference season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

new2ff

Middle of Crusader lineup, Ichiyama, Duncan & Marnic are on fire, what a combo :thumbsup: