• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Softball 2013

Started by boomdad, August 22, 2012, 11:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

WTH happened today????  We lost 7-0 and 9-1 to Loyola.  It seems like Loyola mashed the ball over the fence many times, so maybe a wind game played at their place?  Chicago fields tend to lead to more HRs in both baseball and softball.  Really weird to see us beaten like that against a team that was 1-2 in conference so far, even though they have some good players back from last year's runner-up team. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

new2ff

Loyola & UIC are much better teams than records show. They both played very tough schedules & both have 1 pitcher that on a given day could beat many teams in the country.
Versus the past few years the crusader's schedule this year was rather weak & could catch up with them.
They do have some good hitters & could get on a run come Horizon tourney time, but pitching will have to keep them IN the games.
I wish they would run a little more, but I don't know what speed they have.

valpotx

We are currently on a 5 game losing streak.  Not as positive of a direction as we would like.  Luckily, it seems that only Loyola, UIC and Valpo decided to win games this year OOC
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Yikes, softball has now lost 7 in a row heading into the 2 pm game today.  We are 20-19, 5-6, and need to get those bats going again!!!!!
"Don't mess with Texas"

new2ff

They came back in nightcap for 3-1 win. Could have used Duncan over w/e?

boomdad

The trainer shut Duncan down for a few days. Her hamstring has some how been tweaked and she was afraid to let her torq at the plate on it. Hopefully back by Notre Dame. Although that not being a conference game I would park her bottom n a bath tub full of ice until Detroit next weekend.

Nice job ladies way to come back in the second game

new2ff

Happy to see Korb getting a chance to prove herself. Amanda, like her sister Karen was an outstanding High School player [ although they were quite different players, both great ]. She could help the Crusaders in the tourney & be a big plus for next year....way to go Amanda :thumbsup:

valpotx

I always like to see new players step up when they are given a chance when others are struggling.  Let's finish the season strong and pull out a 2 or 3 seed.  Do we know if Loyola loses the chance to compete for championships, now that they have confirmed leaving for the MVC in 1 1/2 months?  I would have to imagine that Loyola will receive the same treatment that Butler would have if they played this year out in the HL...
"Don't mess with Texas"

new2ff

I must have missed that announcement on Loyola. While they can hold their own in softball in MVC, they will have to bring things up a notch or two for basketball & other sports.
It will hurt Horizon softball, they are usually a very good team & carry one of the higher RPIs, due to early schedule. Lost 2 good softball programs with Loyola & Butler :(

new2ff

2 nice wins for lady Crusaders vs WM.
Korb is knocking the cover off the ball, while I don't get why she had hardly played in 2+ years except to pinch run, at least we found out in time to help for Horizon tourney.
She should help.

valpotx

I hate knocking our players, but she definitely seems like an upgrade over Norway.  It seems that we still put Lindsay in for defensive help at the end of the games, but she has been a .200 hitter since she got here, and we needed more offense with Duncan out.  We can only have so many sub-.200 hitters and still win games (Wisniewski, Doerffler, Norway).
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

How about Taylor Weissenhofer breaking the season strikeout record yesterday?  With still a number of games to pitch, and as a freshman, no less! Congratulations Taylor!

boomdad

Quote from: valpotx on May 01, 2013, 02:41:48 AM
I hate knocking our players, but she definitely seems like an upgrade over Norway.  It seems that we still put Lindsay in for defensive help at the end of the games, but she has been a .200 hitter since she got here, and we needed more offense with Duncan out.  We can only have so many sub-.200 hitters and still win games (Wisniewski, Doerffler, Norway).

Im not really sure if Duncan coming back in will help the line up much. Im sure it cant hurt but she has been pitched around all season and has for lack of better words been reduced to a contact hitter at best. Her ba. ob and slug numbers are still respectable but her production numbers are way down. The simple reason is there is no protection in the 5 hole. Last season Rutowski made it almost impossible for that to happen. When your 4 hole leads off between 35 to 40% of the time and no protection behind her you are pretty much setting that 4 hole up to fail. There are batters in the 6 ,7 hole that might have made a difference. Place Bouchard behind Duncan and give the pitching battery something to think about. Joy, Britt and Janelle would make a pretty nice 4,5,6.

I coach myself at the 18 exposure level so I know how it feels to be second guessed all the time. But towards the end of a pretty frustrating season you sometimes set back and think what if..........

valpotx

Quote from: vusupporter on May 01, 2013, 08:03:26 AM
How about Taylor Weissenhofer breaking the season strikeout record yesterday?  With still a number of games to pitch, and as a freshman, no less! Congratulations Taylor!

That was definitely impressive to see.  She should easily hold the career record by the time she is done at VU.  Is it because she throws hard, is a lefty, has nasty offspeed pitches, or a combination of all 3?
"Don't mess with Texas"

new2ff

Quote from: boomdad on May 01, 2013, 10:44:20 AM

Im not really sure if Duncan coming back in will help the line up much. Im sure it cant hurt but she has been pitched around all season and has for lack of better words been reduced to a contact hitter at best. Her ba. ob and slug numbers are still respectable but her production numbers are way down. The simple reason is there is no protection in the 5 hole. Last season Rutowski made it almost impossible for that to happen. When your 4 hole leads off between 35 to 40% of the time and no protection behind her you are pretty much setting that 4 hole up to fail. There are batters in the 6 ,7 hole that might have made a difference. Place Bouchard behind Duncan and give the pitching battery something to think about. Joy, Britt and Janelle would make a pretty nice 4,5,6.

I coach myself at the 18 exposure level so I know how it feels to be second guessed all the time. But towards the end of a pretty frustrating season you sometimes set back and think what if..........

Boomdad- there is no doubt that having someone behind you will make a difference. The loss of Rutkowski, Phalen & the fantastic leadoff,3 slot,2 slot [ where ever you needed her] Strickland hurt. Valpo lost 3 very good pitchers & 3 very good hitters. Having Strickland get on 35-40% of the time ahead of a hitter helps.
It will be interesting what they do next year with the loss of Joy & don't know if Marinic is going to stay for 6th year or not? Hopefully one or two of the incoming Freshmen can add to the mix

In the meantime, I would like to see them give Korb a shot.
But, I'm no coach, so what do I know.

boomdad

Quote from: new2ff on May 02, 2013, 09:44:40 PM
Quote from: boomdad on May 01, 2013, 10:44:20 AM

Boomdad- there is no doubt that having someone behind you will make a difference. The loss of Rutkowski, Phalen & the fantastic leadoff,3 slot,2 slot [ where ever you needed her] Strickland hurt. Valpo lost 3 very good pitchers & 3 very good hitters. Having Strickland get on 35-40% of the time ahead of a hitter helps.
It will be interesting what they do next year with the loss of Joy & don't know if Marinic is going to stay for 6th year or not? Hopefully one or two of the incoming Freshmen can add to the mix
In the meantime, I would like to see them give Korb a shot.
But, I'm no coach, so what do I know.

More food for thought. Joy was having a carrear  high season until britt was injured. With no one to protect Joys back she has dropped from a 350 avg to a 318..... It definalty makes a difference when they start pitching around you

FWalum

Will Duncan be back for the tournament and any thoughts on why Doerffler, who must be putting the ball in play because she has so few strikeouts, can't seem to get a hit?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vusupporter

Looks like the team earned the sweep the hard way today, with a 14-inning second game.  Great job ladies - I believe a win tomorrow guarantees a third-place finish, which all things considered given how much we had to replace from last year's team, is a solid finish and sets up the team well for the tournament.

boomdad

Quote from: FWalum on May 04, 2013, 05:12:55 PM
Will Duncan be back for the tournament and any thoughts on why Doerffler, who must be putting the ball in play because she has so few strikeouts, can't seem to get a hit?

Thats up to the coach and trainer about Duncan

VULB#62

What a day.  :thumbsup:    Our gals fight through extra innings and pull one out and the men come from behind and crush UWM.  This is a very good Saturday.

valpotx

We lose in extra innings today, but are well placed to finish 3rd in the regular season.  I don't think anyone looks forward to playing us in the tournament  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

UIC hosts, so the travel is a "no biggie."

GO VALPO!

valpotx

Gritty comeback today to beat Cleveland State 4-3 in 8 innings!  We were down 3-0 going into the 6th, scored 3, and then won it with one out in the 8th.  We are the highest seed remaining (3rd), but have one loss.  We will play the loser of YSU/WSU in the semi-final, and if we win, will need to win 2 vs the YSU (6th)/WSU (5th) winner for the championship.  Same route as last year hopefully, when we also lost our first game!  It is huge that both Loyola and UIC were 2 and dones!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Another win for Valpo (10-2 over WSU) takes us to the HL championship game/series!  We need to win both games in order to get the NCAA bid, and it is definitely possible.  YSU has been playing above their ability this tourney, so hopefully we slow them down in the first one tomorrow, and whoop them the second!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

I thought Valpo was going in the path that tx hoped for, but after putting up the 9-2 lead, they started to let their guard down. YSU definitely added some drama as the #6 seed, but it was a good reality check, as the girls got themselves under control, and won the game. It was 11-9! Congrats to the ladies for another great run! Let's get a win or two in the NCAA regional round!