• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/5, 7:05: IPFW @ Valpo Game Thread

Started by truth219, December 04, 2012, 12:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on December 05, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
This should be a win for VU, but this game can not be taken lightly.  IPFW has found a more balanced attack over the last 3 games because they have not been able to rely on Gaines as he as been going through some personal issues.  He should be back and mentally prepared for this game.  IPFW views this as a statement game for them and their athletic program, easily their biggest non conference game of the year.  They need to validate that they can hang with HL teams and their success against us has given them the confidence to make this a very close game.  Without that confidence this is a blow out when just comparing talent.  Will be making my first trip to the ARC this year and will probably be sitting near the IPFW media crew.  Just look for the guy with the Concordia Cadets (Concordia Lutheran High School) black sweater.

Therein lies the problem of why we play so poorly against them.  We are their marquee opponent each year, whereas we view them as someone we should stomp.  They get up to play us, while we play down to their level each time recently...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Hopefully, we won't have any taunting technicals leading to a total implosion, as happened in 2009:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/article_cc0ec7f6-4423-54eb-8660-e4060ccc197e.html

valpotx

Crap, forgot how frustrated I was at Bwood/Cory after that game.  Memories....
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2012, 12:37:23 PM
Quote from: FWalum on December 05, 2012, 10:54:28 AM
This should be a win for VU, but this game can not be taken lightly.  IPFW has found a more balanced attack over the last 3 games because they have not been able to rely on Gaines as he as been going through some personal issues.  He should be back and mentally prepared for this game.  IPFW views this as a statement game for them and their athletic program, easily their biggest non conference game of the year.  They need to validate that they can hang with HL teams and their success against us has given them the confidence to make this a very close game.  Without that confidence this is a blow out when just comparing talent.  Will be making my first trip to the ARC this year and will probably be sitting near the IPFW media crew.  Just look for the guy with the Concordia Cadets (Concordia Lutheran High School) black sweater.

Therein lies the problem of why we play so poorly against them.  We are their marquee opponent each year, whereas we view them as someone we should stomp.  They get up to play us, while we play down to their level each time recently...
If this turns out to be a trap game -- again -- this year, the coaching staff should be seriously questioned.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

valporun

Based on the comments from Homer in the 2009 article, it reminded me of the classic blowup by Dennis Green after the Bears came back to beat Arizona on Monday Night Football in Arizona..."They are who we thought they were, and we let 'em off the hook." "If you wanna crown 'em, THEN CROWN THEIR A$&".

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpotx on December 05, 2012, 12:56:06 PM
Crap, forgot how frustrated I was at Bwood/Cory after that game.  Memories....

seconded... that was not a particularly pleasant night...

78crusader

OK, so Capobianco may not be fully recovered from his surgery.  And Dority is not playing yet.  And Rowdy has been sick (I agree our players get sick all _ the _ time, it seems).  But so what?  Are we going to crank up the excuse machine yet again?  Truth is, if we lose to these guys then our team is in serious trouble and a disappointing season of epic proportions can be seen warming up in the bullpen. 

We need this game badly.  Hope the players realize it.

VU 70
IPFW 66

Paul

valpo04

Just a reminder, if you want to chat and watch the game on this site, you can click on the "Game Day" link in the menu bar.

MattCarter

Quote from: valpopal on December 04, 2012, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 04, 2012, 08:26:38 PM
Quote from: HC on December 04, 2012, 08:24:35 PMI think he was sick. Seems like our players get sick an awful lot?
Wondering that myself.  And at crucial times.
There has been some sort of nasty virus going around campus the last few weeks, and I think about half the team has had it at one point. I have had it myself, and I can't believe Kevin, Ryan, and others have played in that condition.
Apparently Rowdy has had mono for at least a couple weeks now.  Found out last Tuesday. 
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

truth219

EddieCabot

Quote from: truth219 on December 05, 2012, 10:05:26 PM
I wonder why vashil only got 6 mins.

He's playing behind a first team all-league player and a BCS transfer/stud in Capobianco ... he's going to have to earn his PT.

valporun

He's still a bit raw too. I see his minutes dwindling more soon.

EddieCabot

I also noticed that Capobianco lost one of his Iverson-arm sleeves ... I think it helped his shooting a little bit.  If he heals some more, maybe he can get rid of the other one too.

FWalum

Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:42:42 PM
Quote from: valpopal on December 04, 2012, 08:47:02 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on December 04, 2012, 08:26:38 PM
Quote from: HC on December 04, 2012, 08:24:35 PMI think he was sick. Seems like our players get sick an awful lot?
Wondering that myself.  And at crucial times.
There has been some sort of nasty virus going around campus the last few weeks, and I think about half the team has had it at one point. I have had it myself, and I can't believe Kevin, Ryan, and others have played in that condition.
Apparently Rowdy has had mono for at least a couple weeks now.  Found out last Tuesday. 
In talking to some people around the team they said it was "mono like". If he had had mono he would have missed some time. Was with the team during the "mono Mid-Con tournament" and there was no way the doctors let Stovall play.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

This was another game where if Valpo had played a team who had an any offensive firepower in the 2nd half would have beaten the Crusaders. Again Valpo was sloppy on  offense and missed a bunch of shots under the basket that should have gone in. Thank God Ft Wayne missed a bunch of under the basket shots also. The Mastodons only scored 20 points in the 2nd half. If Gaines had stayed hot this game would have been easily a Ft Wayne victory.

wh

No doubt we did a bad job of finishing on the offensive end.  That said I thought we played intense, lockdown defense, especially in the 2nd half.  Their 20 points was no accident.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2012, 11:01:08 PM
No doubt we did a bad job of finishing on the offensive end.  That said I thought we played intense, lockdown defense, especially in the 2nd half.  Their 20 points was no accident.

So Valpo scored 28 in the 2nd half and that had nothing to do with Ft Wayne? Was that an accident? You can't have it both ways.

Valpo2010

Player of the game in my mind was Boggs...he played lock down defense on Gaines in the 2nd half and shut him down...if I recall correctly his only points in the second half came at the free throw line

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 05, 2012, 11:22:57 PM
Quote from: wh on December 05, 2012, 11:01:08 PM

So Valpo scored 28 in the 2nd half and that had nothing to do with Ft Wayne? Was that an accident? You can't have it both ways.

I'm not sure what you want me to say. I think we all agree that we're still a work in progress and need to continue to improve.  How's that?

milanmiracle

It's a win. We'll start with that. That said, they still have a long way to go to being a good team. Too many 8th grade mistakes being made...like not being aware of your surroundings and stepping out of bounds, or getting a rebound and throwing the outlet pass to the bench because the guy you were throwing the ball to wasn't paying attention and just started running up the court, or jumping in the air and not knowing where you are going with the ball, or picking up your dribble with minimal or no pressure and then getting pressured because you stopped dribbling.

*can somebody tell the bigs you don't have to wait for your defender to get position before you try to score. Valpo gives up so many free points because they either aren't aware or just are instructed to catch....wait....start your move...and put up a contested shot. This isn't a new issue, it goes all the way back to U. It's okay to catch, drop step and lay it in all in one motion. I promise. You might even catch your defender out of position more often if you do.

I watched Ft. Wayne go over the top on a pick and roll with Buggs...haha

If the oposing team is going to play man, there's absolutely no reason Valpo can't run sets to get Ryan open. I know they're generally against running an offense for one person, but it's something that will serve them well in the future. At least Ryan appeared to be willing to shoot Ft. Wayne out of the zone. Good for him! If he misses a couple, that's okay, as I can live with him gunning away from deep. The percentages work in Valpo's favor.

As for Capo...I'll reserve judgement until somebody tells me he's healthy.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Smj

1. If this is how Ryan plays when he is sick - he should try to stay sick...
2. It was a win but I guess I was hoping we could make a statement and run away with it
3. When teams put so much defensive pressure on Ryan we need someone else to make them pay for it.
4. Only 9 days til Dority (it will be nice to have one more scoring option.)
5. NEED to hit our short shots - against a "good" team that would have been a death sentence
6. Yes we looked good on defense - but we should have looked good against them.... (No disrespect to IPFW)
7. Keep Bobby in the paint and he should become a pretty good addition (short shots missed though - but super impressed that he is as healthy as he seems already.  I've had my share of surgeries and I can't believe he is as healthy as he seems already.)

Still love Valpo basketball and I think we need to improve if we want to win conference.  I have watched a couple games in our conference and this team has a lot of talent but also has too many weaknesses that "good" teams will be able exploit....

[SMJ STEPS DOWN FROM HIS SOAPBOX]

Smj

Milanmiracle,
Totally agree on plays for Ryan....   On zone make them pay when they double Ryan by somebody else becoming a scorer...   Then on man run a couple plays just to get Ryan open.   (Like your thinking)

Your comment on 8th grade mistakes - hard to believe a team with this many seniors have had as many turnovers as they have.

We usually do not have bigs that do that fluid motion move.    They seem to like to get set and then move.   However, KVW usually moves well with the ball as long as it is only a few steps.   I feel like he gets defenders out of position and attacks the board often?    last night I liked when capo saw two defenders and waited for them to get in position faked and then jumped between them.

:twocents:

agibson

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 06, 2012, 07:00:54 AMAt least Ryan appeared to be willing to shoot Ft. Wayne out of the zone. Good for him! If he misses a couple, that's okay, as I can live with him gunning away from deep. The percentages work in Valpo's favor.

I think that's right.  Sad to see it take him from 3-3 to 4-8.  But, I think we can live with him "merely" shooting 50% from the 3.

agibson

Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:42:42 PMApparently Rowdy has had mono for at least a couple weeks now.  Found out last Tuesday.

Wow!  I was skeptical just reading this on an internet forum.  But, Paul Oren confirms, and it's the title for his recap.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/broekhoff-reveals-mono-after-dominant-performance/article_013b9743-f8de-59f6-981c-6c3b8cd8a282.html

VU's Broekhoff reveals mono after dominant performance

As if to add to his legend, Broekhoff revealed after the game that he was diagnosed with mononucleosis last week and was still feeling the ill effects.

"I still have my ups and downs," Broekhoff said. "I can't really put a percentage (on how I'm feeling). There are a couple days when I'm pretty good and a couple days where I'm pretty lethargic."

It seems like this could be really bad news.  I mean, I guess it's good if he's had it for a few weeks already.  But, mono can really take it out of you for... months?

Googling a bit... Fatigue and flu-like symptoms for... 3-7 weeks?  With the usual recommendation, apparently, that you stay home (from school, from athletic practices) at least until the fever's gone.  First few weeks?

Danger to the spleen is sometimes discussed... but may be overrated?

I'm surprised more hasn't come of this.  I wonder what the repercussions will be?

milanmiracle

Quote from: agibson on December 06, 2012, 09:14:06 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on December 05, 2012, 09:42:42 PMApparently Rowdy has had mono for at least a couple weeks now.  Found out last Tuesday.

Wow!  I was skeptical just reading this on an internet forum.  But, Paul Oren confirms, and it's the title for his recap.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/broekhoff-reveals-mono-after-dominant-performance/article_013b9743-f8de-59f6-981c-6c3b8cd8a282.html

VU's Broekhoff reveals mono after dominant performance

As if to add to his legend, Broekhoff revealed after the game that he was diagnosed with mononucleosis last week and was still feeling the ill effects.

"I still have my ups and downs," Broekhoff said. "I can't really put a percentage (on how I'm feeling). There are a couple days when I'm pretty good and a couple days where I'm pretty lethargic."

It seems like this could be really bad news.  I mean, I guess it's good if he's had it for a few weeks already.  But, mono can really take it out of you for... months?

Googling a bit... Fatigue and flu-like symptoms for... 3-7 weeks?  With the usual recommendation, apparently, that you stay home (from school, from athletic practices) at least until the fever's gone.  First few weeks?

Danger to the spleen is sometimes discussed... but may be overrated?

I'm surprised more hasn't come of this.  I wonder what the repercussions will be?

Then this is simple...sit Ryan until he's healthier. There's nothing to be gained by beating IPFW. Heck, there's not even much to be gained in conference unless you're getting a top 2 seed, which Valpo might get again. This season comes down to the HL tournament, and everybody needs to be healthy when that time comes.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado