• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/15 Valpo at Missouri State

Started by covufan, December 12, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Hooper talk?  Not to make a berdiel out of that, but I think we'd becher keep it to current players or it'll never be oberman.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

I guess a can a Ford to do that. Sometimes I'm just a dumb Bell.

Smj

agibson

Dority started seven games as a sophomore for the Bulls and shot 45.5 percent from the 3-point line.

Well, OK.  While scoring less than 4 points a game he did go 5/11 from the 3PT line.  I guess "45.5%" is one way to describe that.

He definitely did get some minutes against big time teams.  His freshman and sophomore years both.

A nice piece though, as usual.

historyman

Quote from: chef on December 14, 2012, 12:42:12 PM
I guess a can a Ford to do that. Sometimes I'm just a dumb Bell.

If you'll keep this up I have to McIlvain attempt at this humor too.

Crusader
Men's Basketball Record Book

ASSISTS
PLAYER YEARS AST
1. Bryce Drew 1994-98 626
2. John McIlvain 1980-84 582
3. Ali Berdiel 2001-06 507
4. Jarryd Loyd 2004-08 405
5. Todd Smith 1985-89 368
6. Scott Anselm 1985-89 360
Lubos Barton 1998-02 360
8. Jamie Sykes 1993-98 359
9. Rob Cavanaugh 1990-94 329
10. Tracy Gipson 1989-93 316
Brandon McPherson 2005-10 316
12. Erik Buggs 2008-pres. 300
13. Milo Stovall 1998-02 295
14. Jared Nuness 1997-02 290
15. Tim Hostetler 1974-78 284
16. Greg Tonagel 1998-04 280
17. Ron Howard 2003-06 247
18. Matt Kenney 2009-pres. 231
19. Jake Diebler 2005-09 229
20. Mike Jones 1986-90 217
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

At least 45.5% is an accurate stat, even if Mark Twain might classify it as worse than a "damnable lie".  For his USF career he shot 39% from 3s (7 for 18, so slightly larger sample size).  On 2s, though, only 7 for 26, or 27%.

Hate saying this because it'll probably jinx him, but he has never missed a collegiate free throw either:  10 for 10.

The "20 ppg / 6 apg in HS" has simply been repeated often enough that everyone just accepts it, even though I went through his senior year box scores and there's like no way that could be accurate.

One more plug for the Hello post:  http://www.valpofanzone.com/2012/03/23/hello-lavonte-dority/  Money quote in lieu of the above shooting %:
QuoteEither way...given that Buggs is 49 / 24 / 44 for his career, let's hope Dority's a better shooter, and although smaller sample size caveats apply, let me repeat that at USF he shot 23 / 50 / 100 in starter's minutes and 27 / 39 / 100 career.  I know–let's have LaVonte shoot everything from outside the arc and at the stripe, and Erik everything else!
Hey, I love the kid, though, and let's see how does.  Doesn't have to get 20 and 6 a night to make us happy, that's for sure.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

What if any is the story for video tonight.

BTW, Johnny Mac was one the best ball handlers and dime dishers Valpo ever had. Unfortunately, his shotting was so bad he couldn't hit water if you spotted him the H and the O2.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Smj

Quote from: valpo84 on December 15, 2012, 05:58:06 PM
What if any is the story for video tonight.

I signed up for CBSSports.com...   We will see if it works.   So far - no video so I am not sure yet how this will work.   $9.95.

Smj

swiftmutiny

It has always been a sketchy website, so use it or don't. If you run a halfway decent ad-blocker you should be fine. It's working great for me tonight, no skipping or latency issues.

Smj

We are still looking a bit messy...    I sure hope we come out to play in the second half.

hckjag

I would never "download" something from that site to play the video feed. Only use the links that play automatically. I also know there are complaints about the "ads". I use firefox as my browser with the add on called "adblock Plus". I never even see the ads, only the 'x' to close the ad window.

Anyway,

VU needs to play more controlled on offense as the refs have established they are going to call the offensive foul tonight. Dority can make threes though Bogan still can't! :banghead:

FWalum

WAKE is really sketchy tonight. Now the stream is throwing an error. Have not been able to connect since about the 10 min mark of first half.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

You don't need to download a thing.  It's just ads trying to get clicks.

These sites take a bit to figure out how to navigate them, but once you do, you're fine.

Smj

The end of this game is UGLY...   (we did not make it easy on ourselves.)

valpopal

Okay, everybody all together: "Welcome Lavonte Dority!"

vubballfan10

Well, it seems as though Dority took minutes from Will Bogan and Matt Kenney, who each only played 10 minutes tonight, well below their season averages.  However, those guys are team players and are willing to give up PT to help the team, so I don't think that will be an issue.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on December 15, 2012, 09:09:37 PM
Okay, everybody all together: "Welcome Lavonte Dority!"

No kidding!  Wow! that was ugly.  You can start to see the different combos Bryce will have with Lavonte on board. We need to see less Erik, less Will and less Ben.  Even Matt played limited minutes tonight.  Still haven't lost to anybody we shouldn't have, except maybe Nebraska, but all losses have been on the road.

We're getting better--SLOWLY!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

truth219

Bogan boggs and kenney are not good they can't shoot they have no confidence. They have no upside

Smj

Dority sure did start his career at Valpo with a bang........

govalpogo

With this team a win is a win and a ROAD win is a ROAD win.  MoSt really had a streak of making shots at the end of that game and started to foul with 3:15 left which kept it uncomfortable.  I like the tenacity of LvD and his scoring ability, might have to check the fouls though.  I liked the Cap, KVW, Rowdy, LvD, Buggs line.  Where was Kenney tonight?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: truth219 on December 15, 2012, 09:14:57 PM
Bogan boggs and kenney are not good they can't shoot they have no confidence. They have no upside

once again, you provide nothing of value. have you seen kenney play in the past couple years? he does have upside, and anybody who's payed the slightest attention since he has donned the brown and gold has seen it. everybody has off games.

Quote from: valpo84 on December 15, 2012, 05:58:06 PM
Unfortunately, his shotting was so bad he couldn't hit water if you spotted him the H and the O2.

that's not saying much, since water is two atoms of hydrogen and one of oxygen. ;)

Smj

Quote from: govalpogo on December 15, 2012, 09:17:30 PMWith this team a win is a win and a ROAD win is a ROAD win. MoSt really had a streak of making shots at the end of that game and started to foul with 3:15 left which kept it uncomfortable. I like the tenacity of LvD and his scoring ability, might have to check the fouls though. I liked the Cap, KVW, Rowdy, LvD, Buggs line. Where was Kenney tonight?

Loved the lineups tonight...   I think LvD is going to add something quite interesting to the team.   I agree - I did not feel comfortable until probably under 30 seconds.