• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/29, 2:00 p.m. Valpo @ Murray State Game Thread

Started by DMvalpo18, December 21, 2012, 02:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

I can recognize three of them by character name, but I'm blanking on the fourth, the one on the far right, in the light blue polo.

bbtds

Back row, 2nd from the left is Maris Valainis, Jimmy "I can make it" Chitwood.

Maris' high school coach who cut him from the varsity at Bishop Chatard HS was there the day they filmed the state championship game at Hinkle Fieldhouse. When Maris made the famous shot in the film on one take he turned to the coach and smiled real big.

Back row, 1st from the right is Steve Hollar, Rade Butcher, the character who got pulled of a game for not making four passes before shooting and then when another player fouled out was told by Coach Dale to "sit" when he started to go back in the game which left Hickory with only 4 players at the end of the game.

Steve's 1984 Warsaw Tigers team won the state championship. So when Steve shot the movie in 1985 he was fresh from winning a state championship at Market Square Arena.

Front row, 1st from the left is Wade Schenck, Ollie, who made the two free throws underhanded to win the game.

Wade is the manager of a welding supply store in north Indy and lives in Pittsboro, the same hometown as NASCAR driver, Jeff Gordon

Front row, in the middle is Brad Long, Buddy, who was kicked out of the first practice by Coach Dale and played defense like glue against one opponent that he knew he was chewing Dentyne gum.

vuchicago

mj

Turnovers and missed layups in the first 4 minutes. Typical Valpo basketball these days.
I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

Why didn't Bryce take a timeout with 30 seconds to go when Lovonte was whistled for a 5 second call?????   ??? >:(
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

Why wasn't a hand check called on Canaan? I hope Valpo attacks Daniel right away, and that someone has taught KVW how to set a legal screen at halftime.

Smj

....  The shot ....  Shown 7 minutes into second half.   ;)

valpopal

Okay, there's our big road win! Time to move to conference play. Happy New Year to all!

Smj

:o.  What a big win!!!!!

We really looked good....   I think we played well against Murray and their "home" refs.

DMvalpo18

Finally, we finished off a big game on the road! It's confusing to think we beat Murray State, but lose to Nebraska. I guess it makes more sense if you think about it in terms of being more cohesive at this point of the season. Plus, we also have Dority now.

vu72

I TOLD YOU SO!!! Well, not really  ;) but a very solid effort.  We killed them on the glass, 42-26 or something like that.  The announcers were all about Caanan and a little about Ryan.  To me, Ryan, with 18 and 8 was the POG versus Caanan with 24 and 3.  Ryan shot 50% from the 3 and overall.

Great team win.  The chemistry is starting to mess.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

koala

I am so proud of my son and the team, great win on the road fellas  :thumbsup:

wh

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2012, 04:07:52 PM
I TOLD YOU SO!!! Well, not really  ;) but a very solid effort.  We killed them on the glass, 42-26 or something like that.  The announcers were all about Caanan and a little about Ryan.  To me, Ryan, with 18 and 8 was the POG versus Caanan with 24 and 3. Ryan shot 50% from the 3 and overall.

Great team win.  The chemistry is starting to mess.

Ryan was much more efficient and effective. Caanan was 8-21 overall, 3-9 from 3.  Another example of how anyone can score 20 points if you take enough shots. 

valpotx

A good win after a bad start.  Good to see us come back and hold onto a win after falling behind by double digits, as we haven't done that against good teams in the past.  Now let's start conference out right by beating a surprising Loyola team, and not underestimating a bad CSU team!
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan

swiftmutiny

Fifteen total offensive rebounds... that's amazing.

vu84v2

Good win!   Great rebounding and defensive effort.  Nice to pick up a quality win on the road and still see opportunity for further improvement.

bbtds

I thought that Valpo would lose this game due to turnovers and missed shots. Instead the Crusaders saved several "wanna-be" turnovers from going out of bounds and hit just enough shots to win by 2. There for a moment on one sequence I thought Rowdy was going to finally get a tip-in after Van Wijk's missed lay-up. Ryan ended up tipping it 3 times without the ball falling in. There were some beautiful sequences by Coleman, Boggs, Buggs and Dority that helped the Crusaders stave off a Murray State run that could have put Valpo out of the game. And despite all the defensive hounding that Broekhoff received he found a way to finally break through and score and keep scoring. That was one heck of a great performance by Ryan. That one play where he saved the ball from going out of bounds (a good example of Valpo saving a "wanna-be" turnover) and controlling the pass enough to lift it perfectly to the basket for a lay-up was an incredibly great moment and the real "play-of-the-game."

LaPorteAveApostle

I would just like to point out that among the 11 people that predicted an outcome, only
--humbleopinion
--vuchicago
aaand some guy named
--laporteaveapostle

PREDICTED THE WIN.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

for what it's worth, we just beat Sagarin's #48 team on the road.  We were ranked 106 so coupled with other Horizon League wins, it should assure us of remaining ranked #11 on the conference level.  We'll see where Valpo ends up tomorrow morning...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 29, 2012, 06:51:09 PM I would just like to point out that among the 11 people that predicted an outcome, only --humbleopinion --vuchicago aaand some guy named --laporteaveapostle PREDICTED THE WIN.

And how many times have you predicted a win for Valpo and it didn't happen? What's your actual  prediction winning percentage?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

http://cbbpps.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/valpo-tops-murray-state/

The PPS for the teams and players today.  Daniel scored high but they did a nice job limiting his minutes and how effective he was on the defensive end.  Dority put up one of the highest - scores since he missed so many shots.  Ryan and Kevin were both under their averages, KVW was way off, and Ryan did a nice job despite being hounded defensively all game.

Still don't like our 10 assists vs. 17 turnovers.

Great win, great job on Daniel and Canaan, great way to end the non conference schedule.  This is the type of win that catapults a team into believing they can win against supposedly superior teams on the road.