• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/19/2013: Valpo @ Loyola

Started by ValpoHoops, February 17, 2013, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I like Payne being out.  Anything to increase our odds!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

From the Post Tribune 2/18/13:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/18317352-556/mens-basketball-onward-and-upward-for-crusaders.html

Men's basketball: Onward and upward for Crusaders

By Michael Osipoff 648-3137 or mosipoff@post-trib.com February 18, 2013 7:42PM

Updated: February 18, 2013 10:32PM

VALPARAISO — It was talked about in the locker room after the game.

Film was watched during Sunday's practice, and it was discussed a little more. But by the time individual drills rolled around — shooting, ballhandling, moving without the ball, defending — it was purged from the system.

Such was the process for Valparaiso in the aftermath of its Saturday debacle against Detroit, ahead of its game against Loyola on Tuesday night at Gentile Arena.

"We're basically trying to let go and forget about the last game," Will Bogan said on Monday. "Don't let one loss turn into two. Let that one sting for the night, and then forget about it, and yesterday we came out with the mental approach of just preparing to beat Loyola."

Said Ryan Broekhoff: "We went over the Detroit game yesterday, and kind of left it there. We know what we did well, what we didn't do well, and we've kind of moved on from that game. It's over and done with. Whatever's happened happened, and we can't change things now. Let's move on to the next game, and let's start working towards the game on Tuesday, get focused, and get our body and our mind prepared."

The Crusaders (20-7, 10-3 Horizon League) still have the ability to control how the standings shake out. If they win their three remaining league games, they win the regular-season title outright, and host the league tournament. Even if they win two of those games, the worst they could do is tie with Detroit, and they hold the advantage in virtually every tiebreaker.

Naturally, they have every intention of winning out. And the stretch run begins against the Ramblers (14-12, 4-9).

"You don't ever wish that you lose during the season, but when it does happen, it's always a good thing when you have a quick turnaround, when you get to play again a couple days later," Bogan said. "It's just another opportunity to go out and play better than the game you did before, and erase the last one."

In the league opener for both teams, Loyola knocked off Valparaiso 63-54 on Jan. 2 at the ARC. The Crusaders shot 35.7 percent from the field, including 4-of-15 from 3-point range, and the Ramblers shot 46.8 percent.

Not that the Crusaders need any extra incentive or motivation, especially at this stage of the season, but ...

"We haven't forgotten, let's just put it like that," Bogan said. "We still remember that loss. While we're not focusing on it, it'll be in the back of our heads."

Said Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew: "If you're a competitor, any time that someone beats you, you'd like to play them again. Hopefully that will add something to our players. But it was a long time ago, and there were a lot of games in between. A lot's happened for them and us."

Loyola snapped a four-game losing streak with a 69-60 win against UIC on Saturday, doubling its win total from last season (7-23). The Ramblers, who have not won back-to-back games since Jan. 20 and 23 (at Chicago State, at Cleveland State), won despite being without leading scorer (15.6) and rebounder (6.5) Ben Averkamp and point guard Cully Payne (4.2 assists), though Munster graduate Joe Crisman did return after missing five games with a broken finger. The status of Averkamp, who sat out the last three games because of concussion symptoms, was uncertain; and Payne (left thumb) was expected to miss his second straight game.

"We're preparing like they're all going," Drew said. "If we get there and find out otherwise — they play extremely hard and they're executing very well, so regardless, they won last game without them, so they'll be prepared either way. And that's our goal — to prepare our guys either way."

Valparaiso has not lost back-to-back games this season, last losing two straight league games on Feb. 21 and 24, 2011 (at Green Bay, vs. Loyola). The Crusaders have won their last three games at Loyola.

"We never like to lose, and we never like to lose at home," Broekhoff said. "The position we're in right now, we still need to keep winning games. To achieve what we want to achieve, we need to continue to win and it starts on Tuesday."

Smj

Okay - hate saying this because I truly enjoy watching Ryan play.  (I have said before that he is one of my favorite players since watching Bryce.)

however, I want to see a killer instinct from him for the rest of the session.  We have seen him a few times start the game with an immediate 3-pointer.   Later in games he sometimes waits too long for the game to come to him.

How about at least 6 times in this game if Ryan gets the ball on the way up the court he just steps up  behind our screener for a spot up 3 - no passing just take it...

StlVUFan

Quote from: Smj on February 19, 2013, 10:09:01 AM
Okay - hate saying this because I truly enjoy watching Ryan play.  (I have said before that he is one of my favorite players since watching Bryce.)

however, I want to see a killer instinct from him for the rest of the session.  We have seen him a few times start the game with an immediate 3-pointer.   Later in games he sometimes waits too long for the game to come to him.

How about at least 6 times in this game if Ryan gets the ball on the way up the court he just steps up  behind our screener for a spot up 3 - no passing just take it...
Did you miss the Wright State game in January, or are you only talking about the past few games?

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

According to today's newspaper reports, Erik and the rest of the team have picked themselves up off the floor and are focused on Loyola. Let's hope everyone can move forward with the game tonight and follow the example of the young lady below, so we again find reasons to stand and cheer. In the meantime, if you want a look back at the highlights (and lowlights) against Detroit, I have added about 65 of my new photos from the game to Valpo Basketball Photography, where there are now about 350 pictures: http://photography226.wordpress.com/

StlVUFan

http://photography226.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/erik-rowdy-lavonte.jpg?w=774&h=437

I'm not sure that's LaVonte, is it?  Looks like maybe Keith Carter?

Love your pics, as always.

valpopal

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 19, 2013, 11:46:50 AM
http://photography226.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/erik-rowdy-lavonte.jpg?w=774&h=437

I'm not sure that's LaVonte, is it?  Looks like maybe Keith Carter?

Love your pics, as always.

Thanks, I have corrected that mis-labelled picture. Glad you like the photos!

Kyle321n

Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2013, 12:03:46 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 19, 2013, 11:46:50 AMhttp://photography226.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/erik-rowdy-lavonte.jpg?w=774&h=437 I'm not sure that's LaVonte, is it?  Looks like maybe Keith Carter? Love your pics, as always.
Thanks, I have corrected that mis-labelled picture. Glad you like the photos!

The photos are great and I always play the "Can I find myself in them" game.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 19, 2013, 12:39:04 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 19, 2013, 10:59:17 AM
http://photography226.wordpress.com/

anyone know who Rapture Guy is in the center?  that's...that's epic.

My guess is that he is not truth219, but he sure looks like someone who has just heard The Truth.

vuweathernerd

there were some retweets of stuff the players had tweeted after the game saturday night and sunday, and i've gotta say - i love the mentality. the one i saw about buggs was that he allowed himself until midnight to deal with the detroit game, but at midnight put it aside and started to focus on loyola. hopefully he wasn't the only one.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 19, 2013, 03:29:16 PM
there were some retweets of stuff the players had tweeted after the game saturday night and sunday, and i've gotta say - i love the mentality. the one i saw about buggs was that he allowed himself until midnight to deal with the detroit game, but at midnight put it aside and started to focus on loyola. hopefully he wasn't the only one.
Not sure how I feel about Dority sitting all night long in a dark room, but at least he's got an intelligent assessment of his own play.

vuweathernerd

payne and averkamp both sitting tonight, according to osipoff on twitter.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 19, 2013, 06:34:19 PM
payne and averkamp both sitting tonight, according to osipoff on twitter.

We need to blow them out early and not let the other kids think they have a chance for the upset.

valpotx

wow, that could be crucial for us!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

anyone else drawing a literal blank when trying to get "gameday video and chat" to appear/load?

edit: now NOTHING is working for me...not the HLN ("coming soon!"), CBS gamecast ("grayest of screens!") and now ESPN gamecast is frozen ("Loyola up 2-0 for eternity!")

grr...maybe it's just me.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

No problems here. I'm going through the HL website and HLN.

LaPorteAveApostle

well i tried Chrome and that seems to be working.  Safari wasn't doing this for me.

I've noted that my Mac never embarrasses me until someone else is watching.

SadersofthelostArc

Anyone seen lies219 around here tonight?  I guess he shows up when Cool Ranch is 1-8, but disappears when he is shooting 75%.

HC

That guy standing in the ball cap gives a mean haircut!

I really like the play by play guy on HLN tonight,

oklahomamick

good first half, shooting high percentage from behind 3 point line.  Had several but would like to see more entry passes.  So far Vegas was off with -6 and owes me some money. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Wow, Loyola 8-0 run with the ball
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

I don't like our zone defense, they penetrate the lane too easy. 
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoHoops

Excellent first half, ugly second...a win, road win...11-3