• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/19/2013: Valpo @ Loyola

Started by ValpoHoops, February 17, 2013, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadersofthelostArc

Dority is hopeless and will never be a point guard.  I hate when a guard only shoots 80% from the floor and has a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio.

agibson

Quote from: HC on February 19, 2013, 07:49:43 PMI really like the play by play guy on HLN tonight

A baker's dozen!

govalpogo

Yes, I too will try to accentuate the positives of this Road W as I am sure the negatives will be sufficiently addressed.  Maybe a BB tuneup is what we need this year!

Hey, an 18 point swing from the last game: Lost by nine at home/won by nine on the road.

Good game from Willbo.  Made some heart attack shots down the stretch.

A balanced attack tonight!  Everyone who played scored at least 6 while four made it to double figures

They survived the run!  I'm sure as much as we felt "oh no, not again" in our stomachs, the players felt it much more and yet they were able to bend...and bend...and bend, but didn't break.  Hey, optimistically, maybe if Detroit's big run and our scoring drought were in the early minutes of the second half the fellas might have had time to pull that one out as well...maybe...

Nice turnout from CrusaderNation tonight, looked like there were just as many Valpo fans as Rambler fans with a modest hyperbole added.  Nevertheless, it's good to know that the events of Saturday haven't scared off the fans. 

Either way, next game is a new game.  For now, they got the W and that's what counts.

talksalot

Phew.   Couple of milestones... we are now 26-26 all time in Regular Season HL games.  (6-1 on the road so far).  Overall, We are 9-5 on the road this year.... and I can't find a season where we have more true road wins.  97-98 we had 9 wins... and we may have to go back to the 1920s to have more... some homework for someone between now and March 2nd at the Resch Center.

We passed the 2,000 point mark for the season (2,004).  We hit the 2,000 mark in 20 of the past 21 years.  We are only 68 points away from 151,000!   

agibson

Interesting to see Ryan attempt some more challenging shots than his usually hyper efficient game.  Some more challenging shots while slashing to the lane, etc.  I think I don't mind it, even if it lowers his FG%, but interesting to think what might be going through his mind, or the coaching staff's. 

His rebounding numbers were a little better, but it really feels like something's changed there too. 

Somehow I can't quite shake it... Maybe a 25-10 performance against YSU would do the trick ;)  (Or even against Eastern Kentucky.)

truth219

"Cool ranch" looked good against "loyola"

SadersofthelostArc

Here we go....despite all the guff you got in the Detroit thread, you're back for me. 

Get him boys.

valpotx

It looked bad in the second half, but Kenney stepped up with some key shots.  He always seems to make them when it matters
"Don't mess with Texas"

letsgovu

Quote from: agibson on February 19, 2013, 09:07:20 PMQuote from: HC on Today at 07:49:43 PM
I really like the play by play guy on HLN tonight

A baker's dozen!

"(insert name here) got hacked going up for the basket.  hacked!"

KL31NY

Quote from: letsgovu on February 19, 2013, 10:12:05 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 19, 2013, 09:07:20 PMQuote from: HC on Today at 07:49:43 PM

A baker's dozen!

He loses points (big points) for never saying Bobby's last name correctly. However, he mostly lost his bonus points from earlier in the game when he used "slalom" as a verb multiple times
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

Quote from: KL31NY on February 19, 2013, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: letsgovu on February 19, 2013, 10:12:05 PM

A baker's dozen!

He loses points (big points) for never saying Bobby's last name correctly. However, he mostly lost his bonus points from earlier in the game when he used "slalom" as a verb multiple times

My favorite line was "loose for the deuce"

DMvalpo18

While I'm no Dority basher, he certainly was making me have second thoughts about what kind of player he is for us. But after tonight, I think I can see that he can be efficient and will be ready to handle the point guard spot for us by next year pretty solidly. This was a much needed win tonight to try to get some wind back in our sails.

nkvu

Quote from: valpotx on February 19, 2013, 10:10:29 PM
It looked bad in the second half, but Kenney stepped up with some key shots.  He always seems to make them when it matters
And Bogan hit some key shots down the stretch as well.  He has really stepped up his game. As long as he doesn't have to be the backup point....

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Don't forget that Buggs was 1-1 from 3 point and 3-4 for free throws.  He shot the ball well. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

There's a lot of red flags going off when a team for the second straight game blows a 15 point lead in the second half (rather quickly at that). Valpo has the talent... KVW is the most physical player in the Horizon and has this weird ability to score under the hoop without even being capable of dunking a tennis ball. Ryan can take over games and can win games both on offense and defense. Buggs has shut down NBA caliber scorers the past couple years in Norris Cole, Isaiah Canaan, and MacCallum. Kenney has played with these guys for 4 years and has stepped in and won games where Broekhoff couldn't.

I don't understand how this core can be so out of sync, make so many stupid mistakes, and turn the ball over so often. Last year Valpo turned the ball over 14.1 times per game, which was bad. This year they're even worse at 14.7. How can a team with this much experience and chemistry turn the ball over THAT much and go into these horrible slumps where we can't even get a decent shot off? Tonight Valpo only committed 10 turnovers compared to Loyola's 9, but 8 or 9 of Valpo's turnovers came in the second half. There were some pretty pathetic turnovers too, like Kenney's travel, the pass to Bryce, and the moving screen. I'm okay with turnovers that are caused by forcing in a pass to KWV, but not a flipping moving screen or a Cory Johnson-style travel. Be somewhere in the range of the Grinnell College system and Bo Ryan's boring Wisconsin offense.

Some positives to keep me off the ledge...

I thought Bogan had a great game. Capo played better than KWV down the stretch. He's been a great addition this year. Dority played infinitely better than he has the past couple games. He only forced one NBA-style pullup shot from the free throw line. Overall the team shot very well. Buggs made a dagger three. The game was essentially over right there, but the game ended up closer due to the never-ending stream of tick-tack fouls under the basket. I know I complained about turnovers, but if you take away the time Broekhoff got mugged going to the basket which was ruled out of bounds, 9-10 turnovers isn't that bad.

valpocleveland

Dority with 22 min playing time and a solid game. Bryce knows that he needs a backup point guard if we are going to make a run so glad to see he gave him the minutes. Where was Coleman? Another game where he did not sniff the court.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpocleveland on February 20, 2013, 05:54:11 AMWhere was Coleman? Another game where he did not sniff the court.

It seems to be a disciplinary-type issue, and this is simply how Bryce is choosing to handle it.  We'll see how it plays out (or doesn't play, given the circumstance)...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

It seemed like we had so many more turnovers than 10.  I guess that is because it was just about all during the stretch in the second half.  We have quite a few positive assist to turnover games since HL play started
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

On a few occasions Broekhoff drove to the basket and put up a shot that didn't come close, except to the front of the rim but no where near going in the basket. Those kind of disturbed me a bit. I realize on a few of those shots it certainly looked like Ryan was fouled but on others he wasn't fouled at all. Was Rowdy just not measuring his distance to the basket correctly?

What is happening to our POY?

It almost seems as if he is ill.

historyman

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 19, 2013, 06:46:20 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 19, 2013, 06:34:19 PMpayne and averkamp both sitting tonight, according to osipoff on twitter.
We need to blow them out early and not let the other kids think they have a chance for the upset.

Well, Valpo did blow them out, somewhat, early but of course the Crusaders now have a knack for letting the opposing team get back in the game in the 2nd half. It sure gives me high blood pressure until the game is decided.   
                                                                                                                               ::)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

So I listened to the first half and started to watch the Blackhawks game after we went into the half with a 15 point lead.  I followed the game on twitter until I saw it was tied.  Started listening to the game again and they went on their run to raise the lead back up to 12.  Looking at the PBP it appears that we only allowed 2 points off TOs in the second half and that was after we had built the lead back up to 10. It's concerning that its happened twice in a row, but I'm hoping it's more of a fluke than a trend.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

KL31NY

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 02:13:53 PM
So I listened to the first half and started to watch the Blackhawks game after we went into the half with a 15 point lead.  I followed the game on twitter until I saw it was tied.  Started listening to the game again and they went on their run to raise the lead back up to 12.  Looking at the PBP it appears that we only allowed 2 points off TOs in the second half and that was after we had built the lead back up to 10. It's concerning that its happened twice in a row, but I'm hoping it's more of a fluke than a trend.
Against Loyola, it was basically trading the mythical "hot hand;" They erased a 15-point deficit in first 9 minutes of the 2nd half because they could score and we did not (Valpo made one basket during that string). Then we scored on 11 straight possessions, got the lead back in double figures, and it was pretty safe the rest of the way.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 02:13:53 PM

you are officially required to listen to every game from here on out. no more jinxing by changing the channel for you! ;)

Kyle321n

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 20, 2013, 03:47:41 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 20, 2013, 02:13:53 PMSo I listened to the first half and started to watch the Blackhawks game after we went into the half with a 15 point lead.  I followed the game on twitter until I saw it was tied.  Started listening to the game again and they went on their run to raise the lead back up to 12.  Looking at the PBP it appears that we only allowed 2 points off TOs in the second half and that was after we had built the lead back up to 10. It's concerning that its happened twice in a row, but I'm hoping it's more of a fluke than a trend.
you are officially required to listen to every game from here on out. no more jinxing by changing the channel for you! ;)

Even the home games? Because I'm already at those... but I guess I could stream WAKE in the ARC!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer