• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who gets the job if Bryce does leave?

Started by truth219, March 22, 2013, 10:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

If bryce does leave, which isn't out of the question, who would get the job? Personally, I hope it wouldn't be luke gore. Here is my list of a few hopefuls...yes its far fetched but oh well
1. Roger powell jr
2. Bruce pearl lol I know dream on
3. Anyone besides gore

Id like to hear other possibilites

HC

I would think option 1 would be the only option

valpotx

I would think it would be:

1) Roger Powell
2) Greg Tonagel
3) Jake Diebler (long shot)
"Don't mess with Texas"

truth219

If diebler got the job, a few players would jump ship imo

MattCarter

IMO if anyone but Roger Powell (from current staff) or a decent name is brought in we'd lose a lot of that incoming class.

Its fairly obvious he is the reason we got most of em.  Luke and Jake just don't bring "recruiting power" to the table as an HC
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpotx

As much as I think Gore helps our team, he definitely does not have the energy and several other factors needed to be a successful D-1 head coach.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 22, 2013, 12:55:45 PMGreg Tonagel.

Professional or personal opinion?

Obviously there is a succession plan in place, per MLB's statement a year ago.

(hey speaking of a year ago, i joined a year ago today!  huzzah.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Yes ML did say they were interested in a successor plan ala that other nameless school, but, if Bryce leaves don't you think he would take some of his staff with him like Scott took Mark Morefield and others?  I would think he would want Roger Powell and probably others who have worked with him for a long time.  I suspect a national search would be undertaken.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2013, 04:16:22 PMI would think he would want Roger Powell

I would think he would too.  But I would also think that Roger Powell, if he has any aspirations of having his own program, would rather try the now-vacant first chair out than go sit in another second chair, no matter how much nicer it is than that in which he now sits.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

atkins

Roger Powell is a no-brainer.  Valpo would be going backward if the other guys mentioned were hired (except, of course, Truth's fantasy pick).  If the new guys assimilate quickly as a team, I can certainly see Bryce sticking around to see them graduate.  It might well be a special team in a couple of years.  I actually am more worried about losing Roger Powell, whose ceiling may well be higher than Drew because of Powell's outstanding recruiting skills. 

usc4valpo

agibson

Quote from: atkins on March 22, 2013, 08:52:03 PMI actually am more worried about losing Roger Powell, whose ceiling may well be higher than Drew because of Powell's outstanding recruiting skills.

I think there's every chance that Bryce stays longer than Roger.

valpo84

Roger Powell would be my first choice.

Others to interview:

Jeff Battle - Wake Asst and primary recruiter of the top guys since Prosser.
Pat Kelsey - head Coach at Winthrop.
Wes Miller - HC at UNCG
Ivan Vujic
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: valpo84 on March 22, 2013, 11:48:05 PM
Roger Powell would be my first choice.

Others to interview:

Jeff Battle - Wake Asst and primary recruiter of the top guys since Prosser.
Pat Kelsey - head Coach at Winthrop.
Wes Miller - HC at UNCG
Ivan Vujic

Greg Tonagel? Does he qualify as "one to interview?" Or do we ignore the head coach (not an asst) that came from the Valpo family?

FWalum

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 22, 2013, 12:55:45 PM
Greg Tonagel.
Greg is a very good coach, but in my opinion would need to first be an assistant at the D1 level for a little while before taking over a team at Valpo's level. At IPFW you might get away with going straight from NAIA to D1 but not here.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vufan75

I would like to think that Mark would go the national search route. My preference would be an assistant ready to move up and be a head coach, and preferably from a BCS program. Of course that person needs to fit the Valpo profile for coaches that ML feels is important. Valpo should be an attractive job for that sort of candidate. A team with a background of success over the last several decades, a highly respected academic institution, and an institution with a president and AD who are committed to upgrading facilities. I don't see where we have that person on staff right now. Roger Powell has done a great job and is a tremendous recruiter, but, I think he has only been an assistant coach for something like two years at Valpo? If so, is that a long enough period of time for him to learn all the duties, tasks, and responsibilities required of a head coach? Would very much like for him to be retained though if that would be possible in this "Bryce leaving" scenario. Bill Donlon has done well as the Wright State head coach, and if memory serves me correctly he was an assistant at Florida under HC Bill Donovan. I just don't think we should limit ourselves in any search, we should bring in the best coach who is a "fit" at Valpo. Having a succession plan in place is great, but it seems it would work best if you have an assistant who has proved his mettle over some period of time, and with different responsibilities as he grew in his job. Of course salary also would be an issue, and that might work against my suggestion of attracting a BCS level assistant. My guess is they might already be making some good coin where they are, though I have no idea what assistant's earn nor what Valpo would offer.     

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vufan75 on March 23, 2013, 08:59:52 AMMy preference would be an assistant ready to move up and be a head coach, and preferably from a BCS program.
Indeed--FGCU did that down here with FSU's Andy Enfield, and even though I suspect they hired him for his wife, it's paid off pretty nicely.

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 23, 2013, 10:11:18 AM
Quote from: vufan75 on March 23, 2013, 08:59:52 AMMy preference would be an assistant ready to move up and be a head coach, and preferably from a BCS program.
Indeed--FGCU did that down here with FSU's Andy Enfield, and even though I suspect they hired him for his wife, it's paid off pretty nicely.

Can we schedule FGCU for a visit to the ARC and hope Enfield brings his wife?   ::)  For those who aren't familiar with her, meet Andy's wife:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/know-amanda-marcum-enfield-supermodel-wife-fgcu-coach-031048393--ncaab.html

a3uge

Is Bryce married? Why doesn't he have a super model wife? Gets no respect because of that damn astronaut.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM
Is Bryce married? Why doesn't he have a super model wife? Gets no respect because of that damn astronaut.

Bryce's wife is from Jackson,MS and has one of the most interesting backgrounds for a coach's wife. Mrs. Bryce Drew is the former, Tara Thibodeaux. She was an Atlanta Hawks cheerleader and met Bryce during his time with the Hornets. Her father, Keith Thibodeaux, was the actor who played "Little Ricky" on the "I Love Lucy" TV show with Desi Arnez and Lucille Ball. 

Here's Tara with Bryce in this Drew family picture taken in Bryce's office in the basketball wing of the ARC.

Here is a website dedicated to "Little Ricky" Keith Thibodeaux (then known as Richard Keith):

http://tropicananightclub.tripod.com/littlericky.html

chef

A few thoughts - If I was a gambling man, I'd bet Bryce is back next season. Billy Donlon was never a BCS assistant. Thus he never worked at Florida. He had been an assistant for Brad Brownell at both UNC-Wilmington and Wright State. Greg Tonagel will be a great D-I coach someday.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on March 23, 2013, 03:06:44 PMIf I was a gambling man, I'd bet Bryce is back next season.

best news of the week. huzzah.

milanmiracle

Greg Tonagel.

Choices...

1.Greg Tonagel
2. Other people not named Greg Tonagel

I'd like to get somebody here who values the program and will stick around longer than a year or two. Somebody with no ties to the program is just going to look at Valpo as a stepping stone to a payday. Maybe Greg fits that mold, but I certainly don't get that impression.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

bbtds

Quote from: milanmiracle on March 23, 2013, 05:13:22 PM
Greg Tonagel.

Choices...

1.Greg Tonagel
2. Other people not named Greg Tonagel

I'd like to get somebody here who values the program and will stick around longer than a year or two. Somebody with no ties to the program is just going to look at Valpo as a stepping stone to a payday. Maybe Greg fits that mold, but I certainly don't get that impression.

Coach Tonagel's Indiana Wesleyan team finished 7th in the nation in the NAIA. I think that is pretty darn good. Yes, it is NAIA, but just like the NCAA there are varying levels of play in the NAIA and Greg has brought his Wildcats to the top level of play in that division. That says a lot about Tonagel as a coach. I also agree with milan that Tonagel views Valpo as an ultimate destination, not a stepping stone to a better payday. Greg sees Valpo as a place he would be happy at. I remember seeing him at a game when Valpo played at Ball State a few years back, Marion is not far from Muncie, and you could tell despite being the coach at Indiana Wesleyan Greg was very much into cheering for Valpo, his alma mater.   

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/sport/0/6.php

http://www.iwuwildcats.com/article/3096.php

Tonagel was named the Coach of the Year for the fourth time with the previous times coming in 2006, 2007, and 2011.