• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who gets the job if Bryce does leave?

Started by truth219, March 22, 2013, 10:57:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 10:01:50 PMNow UCLA and USC are looking for new coaches.  I wonder if the Beach and Loyola Marymount are next....

They can bring in Phil Jackson, Will Ferrell
Will Ferrell! Why didn't I think of that? He has all of the qualifications. Media and news connections? He used to be an "anchorman". Basketball experience? He was a "semi-pro" player, coach, and general manager.

A guy like that might actually try to bring Northwest Indiana into the ARC and expand VUs now limited and quite narrow fan base.

Valpo89

How about this scenario: Stevens goes to UCLA, Bryce takes over Butler. :)

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 25, 2013, 01:52:39 PM

Not funny.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Quote from: vu72 on March 25, 2013, 01:57:23 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on March 25, 2013, 01:52:39 PM

Not funny.

Oh come on, 72. I know you at least grinned.

usc4valpo

usc4valpo

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 25, 2013, 01:59:02 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on March 25, 2013, 01:52:39 PMHow about this scenario: Stevens goes to UCLA, Bryce takes over Butler. :)
Not funny.
Bryce is not goig anywhere.

But perhaps he does pursue Northwestern or another school.  Could it be to try to get more power or clout from the VU administration?  Could VU counteroffer with a higher salary?  Could VU counteroffer with assurance of improved facilities, better travel budget, nicer office desk, daily steak and eggs for breakfast, etc.?

milanmiracle

Minnesota is now open too...I am sure there are plenty more to follow...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2013, 02:27:29 PMBut perhaps he does pursue Northwestern or another school.  Could it be to try to get more power or clout from the VU administration?

Many people think that's what Mississippi State was last year...can't go to that well every spring.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on March 25, 2013, 01:52:39 PMHow about this scenario: Stevens goes to UCLA, Bryce takes over Butler. :)
Not funny.
Bryce is not goig anywhere.

But perhaps he does pursue Northwestern or another school.  Could it be to try to get more power or clout from the VU administration?  Could VU counteroffer with a higher salary?  Could VU counteroffer with assurance of improved facilities, better travel budget, nicer office desk, daily steak and eggs for breakfast, etc.?

Speaking of improved facilities, here we are well into 2013 and still waiting for a specific ARC improvement/enhancement initiative to be announced.  I have said this numerous times - the VU men's basketball program is living on borrowed time.  Homer and Scott were successful in spite of a complete lack of support to improve facilities by the former VU administration (both Harre and Steinbrecher).  They turned a deaf ear to repeated pleas by Homer to do something.  I know this for a fact. 

The current administration - well, they have talked a good game since day-1, but the reality is they completely ignored the ARC situation for the first 5 years in favor of other "more pressing" facility issues around campus.  More recently, we have learned that there is some sort of nebulous plan to maybe do something sometime.  No specifics, no timeline, no fundraising initiative - nothing that would indicate that ARC improvements are anywhere in the immediate future. The university continues to have its cake and eat it too relative to a successful men's bb program, but if Bryce leaves and his replacement doesn't have the reputation and standing that the Drews have built over time to be able to overcome the "facilities disadvantage," this basketball program is in danger of falling right off the table into mediocrity.  If that happens, it could take years to recover, if ever.   

lowposter

I would be concerned about Roger Powell moving on.  His recruiting ability in the Illinois is already very good and will only improve.  He is bringing in some serious talent next season....and might have had a hand in Dority transfering in. 

This spring will be an interesting one for VU.  If Bryce is going to leave, it will be this year or it will be down the road a few years.  He maximized this year's talent for a HL championship and while VU didnt advance in the NCAA, he carries a great reputation and would be considered at higher levels.  If he is still here May 15th, count on him being here a few years.

Greg Tonagel has accomplished quite a bit at IWU.  At some point NAIA coaches must decide to roll the dice and advance to the rough and tumble world of D1 with all it's problems or settle in for a 35 year career and 800 career wins.  He has an outstanding recruiting class incoming including 6'6" Nate Bubash of Munster and 6'7" Lane Mahouran of Rockville and despite losing some talented seniors...his cupboard is seldom unstocked.  The Crossroads is probably the best NAIA conference in the country...dont sell him short for only being "NAIA D2", the man can coach.  VU would be very fortunate to have him at the helm.  He is a true gentleman and outstanding coach.

lowposter

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2013, 04:00:55 PMimprove facilities

I hate to turn this into another facilities thread.  But, somehow, I've completely failed to internalize the facilities drum beat that we hear around here.  And, it seems, around much of the college basketball world.

At VU we're talking mostly about the fan experience?  Some kind of an attractive arena, better fan experience, better restrooms, concessions, some skyboxes or similar, that sort of thing?  To attract more, or higher paying fans?  And to look good for recruits at the same time?

Or, are practice facilities, and other athlete and team support facilities, considered inadequate?

milanmiracle

Quote from: agibson on March 25, 2013, 04:44:55 PM
Quote from: wh on March 25, 2013, 04:00:55 PMimprove facilities

I hate to turn this into another facilities thread.  But, somehow, I've completely failed to internalize the facilities drum beat that we hear around here.  And, it seems, around much of the college basketball world.

At VU we're talking mostly about the fan experience?  Some kind of an attractive arena, better fan experience, better restrooms, concessions, some skyboxes or similar, that sort of thing?  To attract more, or higher paying fans?  And to look good for recruits at the same time?

Or, are practice facilities, and other athlete and team support facilities, considered inadequate?

Well, I'll put it this way...without Butler's improvements to Hinkle, Rotnei Clark doesn't transfer. It's not just speculation, it was in an interview with Brad Stevens and Rotnei. How different would Butler look without Clarke?
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

usc4valpo

Question:  If Valpo gets rid of football, will they have more capital to improve facilities and enhance the program?  Or does non-scholarship football bring revenue to the school.  I have to ask.  Can Valpo provide both expensive sports and be at a higher level?

milanmiracle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2013, 06:47:23 PM
Question:  If Valpo gets rid of football, will they have more capital to improve facilities and enhance the program?  Or does non-scholarship football bring revenue to the school.  I have to ask.  Can Valpo provide both expensive sports and be at a higher level?

I suspect that Valpo football brings revenue to the school. Every player is paying their own way...for the experience of D1 football.  ::)

vufan75

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2013, 04:00:55 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2013, 02:27:29 PM
Not funny.
Bryce is not going anywhere.

Speaking of improved facilities, here we are well into 2013 and still waiting for a specific ARC improvement/enhancement initiative to be announced.  I have said this numerous times - the VU men's basketball program is living on borrowed time.  Homer and Scott were successful in spite of a complete lack of support to improve facilities by the former VU administration (both Harre and Steinbrecher).  They turned a deaf ear to repeated pleas by Homer to do something.  I know this for a fact. 

The current administration - well, they have talked a good game since day-1, but the reality is they completely ignored the ARC situation for the first 5 years in favor of other "more pressing" facility issues around campus.  More recently, we have learned that there is some sort of nebulous plan to maybe do something sometime.  No specifics, no timeline, no fundraising initiative - nothing that would indicate that ARC improvements are anywhere in the immediate future. The university continues to have its cake and eat it too relative to a successful men's bb program, but if Bryce leaves and his replacement doesn't have the reputation and standing that the Drews have built over time to be able to overcome the "facilities disadvantage," this basketball program is in danger of falling right off the table into mediocrity.  If that happens, it could take years to recover, if ever.   

Quote from: wh on March 25, 2013, 04:00:55 PMSpeaking of improved facilities, here we are well into 2013 and still waiting for a specific ARC improvement/enhancement initiative to be announced.  I have said this numerous times - the VU men's basketball program is living on borrowed time.  Homer and Scott were successful in spite of a complete lack of support to improve facilities by the former VU administration (both Harre and Steinbrecher).  They turned a deaf ear to repeated pleas by Homer to do something.  I know this for a fact.  The current administration - well, they have talked a good game since day-1, but the reality is they completely ignored the ARC situation for the first 5 years in favor of other "more pressing" facility issues around campus.  More recently, we have learned that there is some sort of nebulous plan to maybe do something sometime.  No specifics, no timeline, no fundraising initiative - nothing that would indicate that ARC improvements are anywhere in the immediate future. The university continues to have its cake and eat it too relative to a successful men's bb program, but if Bryce leaves and his replacement doesn't have the reputation and standing that the Drews have built over time to be able to overcome the "facilities disadvantage," this basketball program is in danger of falling right off the table into mediocrity.  If that happens, it could take years to recover, if ever.   

Interesting quote referencing facilities from the ESPN article on Butler's associate coach Matt Graves in accepting the head coaching job at South Alabama. He apparently agrees that facilities do matter in the world of recruiting.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9096549/butler-bulldogs-matthew-graves-hired-south-alabama-jaguars-report-says

"I didn't know a lot about South Alabama except for that moment before I looked into it," Graves said. "People ask why South Alabama? Why would a Midwest guy want to go to South Alabama. When I came down to look at campus, I was sold right away. I understood there was some history here, good tradition. The Mitchell Center is a phenomenal facility to recruit to."

Sure, Valpo has had much success with the facility we have in the ARC. But I like to imagine what might be if we had enhanced and more state of the art facilities, be it a renovated ARC or ??. I'm with wh on this topic of facilities.   

vuweathernerd

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 24, 2013, 10:01:50 PM
I think UCLA AD Dan Guerrero is targetting Chaka Smart.

Now UCLA and USC are looking for new coaches.  I wonder if the Beach and Loyola Marymount are next....

They can bring in Phil Jackson, Will Ferrell, Ryan Seacrest, Lindsay Lohan, ....

I'm pretty sure shaka smart just signed a long term deal a vcu. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

agibson

Quote from: milanmiracle link=topic=1371.msg30845#msg30845
Well, I'll put it this way...without Butler's improvements to Hinkle, Rotnei Clark doesn't transfer. It's not just speculation, it was in an interview with Brad Stevens and Rotnei. How different would Butler look without Clarke?

Oh, I believe that they matter to recruits.  And, as a sign of the level of commitment, and the nature of that commitment, to athletics they should matter.  Among other factors, of course.

But, I am curious (with, admittedly some bias) for a reminder of what people think is missing at Valpo.

Fan experience?  Bling for players?  Or something more substantive?

zvillehaze

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 25, 2013, 07:12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure shaka smart just signed a long term deal a vcu. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

That has little to do with it.  A coach's contract protects them if they get fired, but if they choose to leave, there's rarely any significant buyout for leaving early.  Even if there is, the hiring school will typically cover that.

Smart is now the hot name at Minnesota since their AD was previously at VCU.

LaPorteAveApostle

eh, his "havoc" got absolutely detonated (was going to say "boom-shaka-laka'd" then thought better of it) on Saturday. Don't think that would work very well in the B1G, other than against Purdue that one time.

UCLA probably thinks they're too good to have to press, too :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Tell that to John Wooden (or were you jesting? )  Yeah, I think you were jesting.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 25, 2013, 08:48:06 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 25, 2013, 07:12:22 PM

That has little to do with it.  A coach's contract protects them if they get fired, but if they choose to leave, there's rarely any significant buyout for leaving early.  Even if there is, the hiring school will typically cover that.

Smart is now the hot name at Minnesota since their AD was previously at VCU.

My point was that he's got a good thing going (minus the Michigan game) in Richmond, and coupled with the raise he got, it wouldn't surprise me if he stays at vcu for at least a few more years.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 25, 2013, 09:04:06 PMYeah, I think you were jesting.

Always a safe bet with me. ...Only kind of.  I feel they haven't pressed--and meant it--in 30+ years.

valpo84

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Hi 84 -- this was posted earlier on a string on Basketball >>The Value of National Exposure [ http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1378.0  ].  You might want to delete it here.