• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Something that we knew before now but the import of which is immediately noticed in the sheet: Walker adds to the junior class, making the classes more evenly balanced (2-3-5-3).  Obviously adding a senior only helps one year, and we have plenty of sophomores, so ... there's that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

If this is the final look of the roster for the upcoming year and there are no last minute changes, then one word comes to my mind: "confidence"— the coaching staff must have 1) confidence that Fernandez and Adekoya will give many quality minutes inside; 2) confidence that Nickerson and Chadwick will be healthy and able to contribute; 3) confidence that Skara can add strength inside; 4) confidence D. Walker will have a significant impact; 5) confidence that Peters will supply substantial rebounding from the 3 spot; 6) confidence we will recruit a couple of good big men next year to replace the graduating Fernandez and Chadwick.

LaPorteAveApostle

so he's been here a day and you've already made him as a "confidence man"? ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

At this point in time I have no idea what any of our newcomers might be able to contribute and only the foggiest notion of what our overall team best case upside might be. But--- Its way too early to panic and upside surprises are always better than not meeting large expectations. I would think that cautious optimism is about as far out on a limb as I am currently prepared to go.  :)

One safe bet for the season is that with this many guards at least one will redshirt. Way too early to start speculation on that.

a3uge

Good to get size at SG, and this allows us to go 3 deep at guard (which will be inevitable) with Peters playing a 4 and Jubril or someone else a 5.

Part of the problem last year was the amount of turnovers from the oversized lineup. Putting 3 guards in helps eliminate some of the problems with bringing the ball up court and sloppy, slow offensive sets. Spacing seemed to be a huge issue and with a PF that couldn't shoot, the offense stuttered. I'm happy with some 3 guard sets as that's what really worked in 2011-2012.

SanityLost17

Seems like have a lot of unproven talent.   A junior college guy still available in Mid-June, a potential backup Center who played sparingly last year, We have never seen Nickerson play, we don't know a whole lot about either Canadian or Skara at the D1 level, and we are not yet sure how Yeo will respond to playing a lot more minutes.   

So, Position guesses anybody? 
5 - Vashil / Adekoya
4 - Nickerson / Skara
3 - Peters / D. Walker
2 - Yeo / T. Walker
1 - Williams / Carter 
Bench: Chadwick, Joseph, Davidson   

Hopefully, Peters, Skara, and Nickerson can all rotate comfortably between the 3 and 4, Yeo, T. Walker and D. Walker can all rotate comfortably between the 2 and 3, and Carter or Williams can occasionally rotate to the 2 so that we have them on the floor at the same time.     

a3uge

I think by the end of the year, Carter will be the starter and the best player on the team. His defense is too impressive to leave off the court.

valpotx

I'm impressed that it appears everyone will be back!
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on June 19, 2014, 02:15:14 PMGood to get size at SG, and this allows us to go 3 deep at guard (which will be inevitable) with Peters playing a 4 and Jubril or someone else a 5. Part of the problem last year was the amount of turnovers from the oversized lineup. Putting 3 guards in helps eliminate some of the problems with bringing the ball up court and sloppy, slow offensive sets. Spacing seemed to be a huge issue and with a PF that couldn't shoot, the offense stuttered. I'm happy with some 3 guard sets as that's what really worked in 2011-2012.

Unfortunately it wasn't just Fernandez and Gueye committing all the turnovers, although they had a large number of them. It was also Peters, Jubril and others that helped Valpo become a team with a turnover problem. In general, slow offensive sets don't cause turnover issues. I don't feel the turnovers will be gone with the departure of Gueye. It's going to take a concentrated team effort starting with the first day of practice to eliminate this problem.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Quote from: historyman on June 20, 2014, 11:06:05 AMUnfortunately it wasn't just Fernandez and Gueye committing all the turnovers, although they had a large number of them. It was also Peters, Jubril and others that helped Valpo become a team with a turnover problem. In general, slow offensive sets don't cause turnover issues. I don't feel the turnovers will be gone with the departure of Gueye. It's going to take a concentrated team effort starting with the first day of practice to eliminate this problem.
I tend to agree.  For a team with  +4.6 scoring margin and +4.2 rebounding margin, having a -4.0 TO margin really took posessions away from ourselves, especially in close games and at key times during games. 

Chairback

I wonder what our odds are with us being in the "mix".

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/report-providence-transfer-josh-fortune-visits-lsu-colorado-minnesota-in-the-mix/

Doesn't look like playing time was an issue as he was playing 33 mins a game. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Good find.

I would say our odds are not great unless he's paying his own way next year.

historyman

I'm not sure Valpo will be "Fortune"ate enough to land Josh.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on June 28, 2014, 10:16:01 PM
I'm not sure Valpo will be "Fortune"ate enough to land Josh.

Unfortunately, Josh Fortune has chosen Colorado.

valpopal

The July 'live period' of recruiting begins today. I didn't want to start a separate thread for this, but the following article contains some interesting views about how social media, especially Twitter, influences recruiting nowadays. I think this is crucial for coaches and students to consider. I know Oren teaches a popular course concerning this at the university that a number of athletes attend, and I think he also addresses various teams to caution them about the impact of social media. Perhaps he could add more to this conversation about social media and recuiting.

"Through social media, false interest is being created and stirred to ignite a players' recruitment based on lies, miscommunication and the lack of firsthand sources monitoring each situation. As the July Live Period begins on Wednesday, players can make themselves or break themselves on the court, as well as off it through social media....

"As the July live period begins Wednesday in Philadelphia, Indianapolis, Washington DC, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Reading and other spots around the country, many players will excel on the court. Many influential people will have their say on where those players' recruitments can go. Twitter will factor into their performance and final evaluation.

"'If kids aren't careful and act out on Twitter, especially guys who are competing with many other similar guys at their position for scholarships, they will lose out on opportunities," Bossi said. "If you act like a fool for the world to see, you probably won't be helping your chances. How these guys portray themselves on social media can make a huge difference.'"

https://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1657539

LaPorteAveApostle

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

"I think it's pretty messed up and it put me a (little) behind, but I wish I had the chance to play in the SEC, which is a big-time conference," McKnight told the Knoxville News Sentinel via text message.

It's your own fault, a$$ clown...

"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, but at this late date we can't be choosy.  Otherwise, we should probably just bank the scholarship for next year.  Although we haven't heard as much with that class yet.

There would thus be 3 slots open next year (plus one for the inevitable attrition, eh? ; )

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on July 16, 2014, 01:09:12 AM
"I think it's pretty messed up and it put me a (little) behind, but I wish I had the chance to play in the SEC, which is a big-time conference," McKnight told the Knoxville News Sentinel via text message.

It's your own fault, a$$ clown...

Agree. 

However, when did the SEC find the morality clause in these transfers? 

LaPorteAveApostle

Does VerbalCommits know something we don't yet?

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

Today they posted an update that Dequon Miller (JUCO PG, same grad class as Lexus) updated his interest to "Medium", but looks even stranger because he is placed in the depth chart with everyone...plus as 'Pal already said he's a 2015, probably--but doesn't necessarily HAVE to go back to Juco this year.  He just got an offer from Tennessee, though, and since they have all that morality fest going on now...who knows?

EDIT UT offered him as a 2015.  I should move this.

LaPorteAveApostle

Reviewing this thread, I found this.  Presented without comment

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 20, 2013, 07:18:56 PMOther things I learned from this excursion:  Clay Yeo's GF hates watching basketball.
[tweet]317426965332238336[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 16, 2014, 01:34:20 PM
Does VerbalCommits know something we don't yet?

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso
Are you referring to Joseph and Walker showing as juniors?  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

That too!  Yikes...well, you read up and see how many of us were confused by "Vanier College" :)