• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classof2014

Apparently Walker was ranked as one of the top 10 Canadian basketball players. I know it is Canada but let us not forget Anthony Bennett was the first pick in the NBA draft and he too is a Canadian.

There's a chance he's gonna be the top recruit in the 2014 class.

Here's the link by the way

http://northpolehoops.com/2013/10/01/nph-2014-top-10-national-player-rankings/

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on October 21, 2013, 05:17:01 PM
Apparently Walker was ranked as one of the top 10 Canadian basketball players. I know it is Canada but let us not forget Anthony Bennett was the first pick in the NBA draft and he too is a Canadian.

There's a chance he's gonna be the top recruit in the 2014 class.

Here's the link by the way

http://northpolehoops.com/2013/10/01/nph-2014-top-10-national-player-rankings/

I can believe it after watching this video (from nearly 2 years ago):

Tevonn Walker (montreal) , st.laurent-1/1

And the hits just keep on coming...

EddieCabot

Valpo looks to be set at the point guard spot for the '14-'15 and '15-'16 seasons with Carter, Williams, Joseph and Walker.  I would think Bryce might be looking for some height with the last two class of '14 spots.

covufan

Quote from: EddieCabot on October 22, 2013, 02:29:27 PMI would think Bryce might be looking for some height with the last two class of '14 spots.
I'm thinking this as well, or Bryce is waiting to see who is transferring from Big State U in the spring.

I believe Matt Holba and Aaron Brennan will be teammates this year.  Maybe we should be looking at Brennan for 2014:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/aaron-brennan

EddieCabot

Quote from: covufan on October 30, 2013, 06:05:45 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on October 22, 2013, 02:29:27 PMI would think Bryce might be looking for some height with the last two class of '14 spots.
I'm thinking this as well, or Bryce is waiting to see who is transferring from Big State U in the spring.

I believe Matt Holba and Aaron Brennan will be teammates this year.  Maybe we should be looking at Brennan for 2014:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/aaron-brennan

Not sure if Valpo had any interest in Brennan, but he committed to IUPUI over the weekend.  http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/archives/4342

valpotx

I completely forgot about IUPUI moving to that Fairgrounds place.  It looks like a really nice gym, and will help them a lot in recruiting...though the students still won't care.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

IPFW moved their home games off campus to the Coliseum for a few years, a large venue that they "regularly packed" with about 1,000 fans or less.  It was a joke and it has done nothing for recruiting as far as I can tell.  This year they are back on campus.  Such excitement to hear a few hundred fans including a few students in an arena that seats somewhere around 8,000 (even with an end curtained off).  I can't believe that moving to the Fairgrounds will help IUPUI very much.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 04, 2013, 09:53:13 AMIPFW moved their home games off campus to the Coliseum for a few years, a large venue that they "regularly packed" with about 1,000 fans or less. It was a joke and it has done nothing for recruiting as far as I can tell. This year they are back on campus. Such excitement to hear a few hundred fans including a few students in an arena that seats somewhere around 8,000 (even with an end curtained off). I can't believe that moving to the Fairgrounds will help IUPUI very much.

I think it depends on what kind of facility you have on your campus. In IUPUI's case they are moving from an 1,800 seat gym, which, like many high schools, has no room behind the baskets for seating. The Jaguars are moving to a revamped Pepsi Coliseum on the Indiana State Fairgrounds, which at one time in the '60's was used for a Beatles concert. The Pepsi Coliseum has been the home of the ABA Pacers and lower level pro basketball teams, several minor league hockey teams, one of which, the Indianapolis Racers, had Wayne Gretzky on it's team. There is a lot of history at the Pepsi Coliseum and people, I believe, will be attracted to seeing the old place spruced up and that the team George Hill of the Pacers used to play for in college might be a team to follow if IUPUI starts to win. It's too late to see the old Ron Hunter show on the sideline because he went on to Georgia State in Atlanta but I think the IU administration saw why Hunter left and knew they had to make some kind of arrangement for a change in venue.

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on November 04, 2013, 02:01:55 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on November 04, 2013, 09:53:13 AMIPFW moved their home games off campus to the Coliseum for a few years, a large venue that they "regularly packed" with about 1,000 fans or less. It was a joke and it has done nothing for recruiting as far as I can tell. This year they are back on campus. Such excitement to hear a few hundred fans including a few students in an arena that seats somewhere around 8,000 (even with an end curtained off). I can't believe that moving to the Fairgrounds will help IUPUI very much.

I think it depends on what kind of facility you have on your campus. In IUPUI's case they are moving from an 1,800 seat gym, which, like many high schools, has no room behind the baskets for seating. The Jaguars are moving to a revamped Pepsi Coliseum on the Indiana State Fairgrounds, which at one time in the '60's was used for a Beatles concert. The Pepsi Coliseum has been the home of the ABA Pacers and lower level pro basketball teams, several minor league hockey teams, one of which, the Indianapolis Racers, had Wayne Gretzky on it's team. There is a lot of history at the Pepsi Coliseum and people, I believe, will be attracted to seeing the old place spruced up and that the team George Hill of the Pacers used to play for in college might be a team to follow if IUPUI starts to win. It's too late to see the old Ron Hunter show on the sideline because he went on to Georgia State in Atlanta but I think the IU administration saw why Hunter left and knew they had to make some kind of arrangement for a change in venue.
I for one am excited for the Jags. I have been to the Jungle many times and it stinks. I look forward to seeing the renovated Coliseum. Will it help attendance or recruiting...I do not know.

I have to correct one thing, the  Racers and Gretsky never played there. They were always in MSA which was a great hockey venue.

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 04, 2013, 07:15:01 PMI have to correct one thing, the  Racers and Gretsky never played there. They were always in MSA which was a great hockey venue.

I honestly didn't remember that the Indianapolis Racers were actually a major league team in the old World Hockey Association. Gretzky signed with the Racers when he was 17 years old because the NHL didn't allow any players under 20 to play in their league. The expansion Racers entered the WHA at the end of the WHA's existence and the owner knew there was going to be a merger between the two leagues. His objective was to get as many NHL valued players who he could sell to NHL clubs when the merger happened. The Racers owner knew his team would not be accepted into the NHL because the Racers weren't getting the attendance required by the NHL to enter their league. I just assumed since the pictures in the Pepsi Coliseum showed Gretzky as a 17 year old that it was during his minor league days. The pictures of Gretzky in the old Market Square Arena were moved to the Pepsi Coliseum when that building was torn down after the RCA/Hoosier Dome was built for the Colts.

Wouldn't you have thought this guy was on a minor league team too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_Racers

talksalot

Don't knock the Jungle.  I went to some of our better games there... including the MidCon Clincher years ago with a fanVan loaded with Valpo folks... it was certainly a home game for us as our fans outnumbered OoeyPooey fans by 4 to 1.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

soooooo....yesterday was early signing day, and looks like no news.

Looking for Max Joseph and Tevonn Walker, but it looks like nothing so far.

Went over to verbalcommits, and they are still listed as verbal (something about typing that sentence makes it seem tautological...hmmm...)
http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

but Walker is listed as a Soph / JUCO player?  What gives?

No twitter activity for Walker of late...anyone know or follow Joseph?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2013, 10:10:25 AMbut Walker is listed as a Soph / JUCO player?  What gives?
I sent verbalcommits a note on that a few weeks ago.  They replied they know about the problem, and that his profile has been doing some weird things.  Has not been fixed, though.

covufan

I don't recall seeing this player before, but verbalcommits has VU offering him recently:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/nemanja-zarkovic

We may need to throw a few more 'ehs at the end of our sentences.  Does anyone have the video of Don Nelson and Steve Nash?  Bryce might need a Canadian English translator next year!

LaPorteAveApostle

vufan75

Nice video of the signing and interviews with the two Canadian players signing with Valpo that are part of valpotx's post and link reporting the NLI signing. Here is the link again separate from the Valpo Athletics press release.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1542320

LaPorteAveApostle

oh good!  thanks tx.

would have been nice if they had shown them making some shots!  way to undercut your story, canadian newstypes.

Now the pep band will have to learn BLAME CANADA O Canada

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 14, 2013, 10:10:25 AMtautological

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautological_(disambiguation)

QuoteTautological
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Tautological (disambiguation))
   Look up tautological in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
In mathematics, tautological may refer to:
Logic:
Tautological consequence
Geometry, where it is used as an alternative to canonical:

QuoteTautology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
   Look up tautology in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Tautology may refer to:
Tautology (rhetoric), a self-reinforcing pretense of significant truth
Tautology (grammar), the use of redundant words
Tautology (logic), a universal truth in formal logic
Tautology (rule of inference), a rule of replacement for logical expressions
Tautonym, a species name where both parts are identical

I knew you were dying to know.

LaPorteAveApostle

your posting the definitions for tautological creates kind of a Moebius Strip of tautology.

room...spinning...need to sit down

vu72

Thanks boys, now back to the subject at hand!

So I was just thinking (dangerous I know) about these two Canadian kids. And here's what I'm thinking: Bryce, Roger et al, have how many quality guards in Indiana/Illinois/the rest of the United States/the rest of the World, and we take two Canadians from the same high school?

What I'm really thinking is that our coaches just pulled a very fast one on the rest of D1 and grabbed a couple of kids that, if better known, might be sought after by high D1's.  Not the first time a Drew has gone off the beaten path to find talent.  My guess is that we are in for something pretty special.  Time will tell!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

I know I mentioned this before somewhere, too lazy to find out where but Tevonn Walker is ranked as one of the top 10 Canadian high school basketball players, I believe he and Joseph are good friends as well. I think we got a huge steal in Walker, since the first round pick in the NBA draft was a Canadian, in Anthony Bennett. So bravo to the coaching staff on that one. I would love to see a big in this recruiting class as well.

Perhaps Coach Powell learned some French while in Europe?

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on November 14, 2013, 04:39:14 PMI know I mentioned this before somewhere, too lazy to find out where but Tevonn Walker is ranked as one of the top 10 Canadian high school basketball players, I believe he and Joseph are good friends as well. I think we got a huge steal in Walker, since the first round pick in the NBA draft was a Canadian, in Anthony Bennett. So bravo to the coaching staff on that one. I would love to see a big in this recruiting class as well.

Probably not a good time to name drop Anthony Bennett...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bennean01/gamelog/2014/

valpotx

Canada has been producing some young basketball talent recently as evidenced by international tournaments and NBA draft prospects.  It says that Tevonn Walker is in the top 10 for the country, and Joseph is #22, I believe.
"Don't mess with Texas"