• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/13/2013 Wednesday--Valpo at Illinois--6:30 p.m. CST--Game Thread

Started by bbtds, November 11, 2013, 01:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Um.......I really......um.......think......um.......we should start......um......a game......um......thread.......um...for the Illinois.....um.....game.

Maybe Mizzzz Tainot's speech class would change Bryce's life.

Chairback

Speaking of starting, I think Vashil should be starting over Moussa.  He is bringing more productivity and energy and we need a good start against Illinois.  We cannot get ourselves into a hole early.

classof2014

I think it will be a good game, I give a 30% chance of winning it. I think our size will help us in a game like this. Won't be an easy task at all but it's not like going up against a top 5 team, Illinois is good not great and definitely a beatable team. I will be surprised if it's a complete blowout. I'm gonna say Illinois 75 to Valpo 68. Should be a good game and we will know quite a bit after this game.

bw12

Although I believe Illinois will win this game, I do not want to count out our chances completely. On paper we are a bigger team than them, which is interesting to say in comparison to a BIG 10 team. Also, they do not have a ton of experience. There roster consists of 5 freshmen and 2 seniors. It will be interesting to see how our new recruits match up against theirs.

It will also be interesting to see how we play on the road since this will also be the first time the team has traveled together. I like that we are going to a tough arena, but don't have to fly to get there. It's time for a true test Wednesday.

historyman

I agree that it will be close.

OTH, Bertrand and Rice are better athletes than anyone Valpo has currently and Abrams and Tate sure do make a great second core for the Illini. There will also probably be a bench player who steps up and makes a name for himself in this game.

Egwu, their center is probably no better or worse than Fernandez but I have a feeling Vashil will get the gitters and Moussa will step up in this game. I think Gueye already has the confidence to handle Egwu, who comes from Chicago.

Rayvonte Rice transferred from Drake and Jon Ekey transfered from IL St. Valpo has guys from IU, Alabama, Hawaii and South Florida. How do these coaches recruit so wrong?

The big key is the great freshman class that Valpo has put together. Will they step up and make their mark or will they be somewhat awed by their surroundings. I'm pretty sure Peters has played at the State Farm Center (former Assembly Hall) so that in itself could be a deciding factor for Valpo.

Valpo  71
Illinois 74

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu84v2

I cannot say that I am very familiar with this Illinois team, but I think that unlike previous games against big conference opponents the issue will be guard matchups (instead of Valpo's size not matching up).  Dority has to play a solid and consistent game and not go 3-14 from the floor.  You could argue that Valpo has no experienced point guards (is Dority really a point guard), so pressure defense and depth could really be issues (especially if we get another game with lots of foul calls).  For Valpo to win, they will need three reliable scorers (as well as solid defense and not getting outrebounded).  The likely three scorers would need to come from Coleman, Dority, Capobianco and Peters.  All possible, but none a guarantee.

Would love to see a win since it really would build initial confidence for this new group.  However, I see about a 10% chance of winning and a 74-59 final score.

valpotx

I just can't see us beating Illinois after losing at Nebraska last year with a more veteran team.  Our first road game may be an ugly one, but hopefully our guys surprise me!

Illinois 78
Valpo 63
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2013, 09:51:13 AM
I just can't see us beating Illinois after losing at Nebraska last year with a more veteran team.  Our first road game may be an ugly one, but hopefully our guys surprise me!

Illinois 78
Valpo 63

Don't see how you can see we will lose this year cause last year we lost to Nebraska. Completely different team this year, both sides don't have a lot of experience and hopefully the innocence of the freshmen help us in a game like this. Like others have said Dority cannot go 3 of 14 or whatever he was from the floor and we need to be 75+% from the free throw line if we wanna win. I think we have a legitimate shot at winning, this team is capable of pulling off the upset.

chipper955

Anyone know if this game is going to be tv? I was hoping it might be on the Big Ten Network.

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on November 11, 2013, 10:17:40 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2013, 09:51:13 AM

Illinois 78
Valpo 63

Don't see how you can see we will lose this year cause last year we lost to Nebraska. Completely different team this year, both sides don't have a lot of experience and hopefully the innocence of the freshmen help us in a game like this. Like others have said Dority cannot go 3 of 14 or whatever he was from the floor and we need to be 75+% from the free throw line if we wanna win. I think we have a legitimate shot at winning, this team is capable of pulling off the upset.

Agree that this is an entirely different team then the one that faced Nebraska.

Here's the box score:

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/986001.pdf?SPSID=20&SPID=24&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10.

Notice a couple of things:  First, the lack of depth in scoring.  Ryan was off that night and other than Kevin, nobody stepped up.  Also, no Dority of Capo in that game.

This team has depth and options.  Last year Kevin was usually shut down versus big name programs and if the 3 wasn't falling  (2 for 15 against Nebraska) we were done.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: chipper955 on November 11, 2013, 10:31:16 AM
Anyone know if this game is going to be tv? I was hoping it might be on the Big Ten Network.

I'm fairly certain the B1G Network streams stuff online for free, don't quote me though.

valpotx

The point wasn't that we have the same or similar team, or any comment in general about talent.  It was the fact that we never step up in away games against even middling BCS programs over the last decade.  An away game in a big arena intimidates our basketball programs for some reason.  Do we have the talent to win the game, yes.  But do we have that killer mentality to get it done on the road in a big game against a traditional power?  I just can't see it this early on in their career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

I think having the freshmen might help us in a game like this. It might sound crazy but they don't know any better and what more would they like than knock off a big time program like Illinois. I think having Moussa in a game like this will help us a lot, he's used to playing against teams like this. This team isn't like past teams, they don't rely on the 3 anymore and have the athleticism that can match up against Illinois. This is our first true test. The freshmen always seem to be excited to get out there and show us what they've got and they haven't shied away from the moment either.

Like I've said before this group of freshmen is capable of doing something special. It has to start somewhere so why not now? This could be the year we finally get over the hump of beating a B1G caliber school.

Chairback

I think we are getting too caught up with being so young.  We start four 5th year seniors and not many teams can say that.  These guys have been around and are not new to college basketball.

sliman

This is a reminder that we're a work in progress and playing a quicker, more athletic team:  Illinois 84, Valpo 65.

Kyle321n

Quote from: classof2014 on November 11, 2013, 10:40:00 AM
Quote from: chipper955 on November 11, 2013, 10:31:16 AMAnyone know if this game is going to be tv? I was hoping it might be on the Big Ten Network.
I'm fairly certain the B1G Network streams stuff online for free, don't quote me though.

http://btn.com/shows/

If you go to Wednesday, they show that the game will be on BTN. That's good news for us!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: Kyle321n on November 11, 2013, 11:26:33 AM
Quote from: chipper955 on November 11, 2013, 10:31:16 AMAnyone know if this game is going to be tv? I was hoping it might be on the Big Ten Network.

http://btn.com/shows/

If you go to Wednesday, they show that the game will be on BTN. That's good news for us!

I think it says that it will be on the internet (BTN/BTNTOGO)  I think Purdue or Penn State will get the TV nod.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Chairback on November 11, 2013, 06:38:06 AM[Vashil] is bringing more productivity and energy and we need a good start against Illinois.
I think, though, that that is actually EXACTLY what you want in your second unit.

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2013, 10:33:04 AMDon't see how you can see we will lose this year cause last year we lost to Nebraska. Completely different team this year, both sides don't have a lot of experience and hopefully the innocence of the freshmen help us in a game like this. Like others have said Dority cannot go 3 of 14 or whatever he was from the floor and we need to be 75+% from the free throw line if we wanna win. I think we have a legitimate shot at winning, this team is capable of pulling off the upset.

Agree that this is an entirely different team then the one that faced Nebraska.
But that's exactly the point:  if last year's team, loaded and experienced, couldn't pull off a road win at a terrible B1G team, why should this year's model, without the experience, pull off a road win at a decent (mid-tier) B1G team?

That's not to say they can't, but if you made me bet two years ago on the outcomes, I'd've gone all in on last year, not this.

Quote from: classof2014 on November 11, 2013, 10:40:00 AMI'm fairly certain the B1G Network streams stuff online for free, don't quote me though.
Only if you have a cable program that includes the BTN.  If not, oh well.  Of course SOMEONE HERE cough will find and post a pirate link, though, should it come to that...

Quote from: Chairback on November 11, 2013, 11:07:09 AMWe start four 5th year seniors and not many teams can say that.
including us!  (it's 2 5th years, Gueye & Capo.  Dority and Coleman are regular seniors.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2013, 11:50:35 AM
Quote from: Kyle321n on November 11, 2013, 11:26:33 AM
http://btn.com/shows/ If you go to Wednesday, they show that the game will be on BTN. That's good news for us!
I think it says that it will be on the internet (BTN/BTNTOGO)  I think Purdue or Penn State will get the TV nod.

http://bigtennetwork.stats.com/cbk/scoreboard.asp?day=20131113&conf=003

According to this it's on TV and the Go App.  Looks like Purdue and PSU won't even be on the net.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vusupporter

From yesterday's game recap on the athletics site:

QuoteValparaiso (2-0) makes its first national television appearance of the season on Wednesday in its road opener, as the Crusaders travel to Champaign, Ill. to take on Big Ten foe Illinois. The 6:30 p.m. tipoff will be televised nationally on the Big Ten Network.

bbtds

I'm not sure where it got in people's heads that Illinois is inexperienced. Their starting line-up against Jacksonville State was 3 juniors and 2 seniors. Yes, 1 senior and 1 junior are new to U of I. They are coming in from Drake and Illinois State. The bench has 5 freshmen and a sophomore. That is pretty much who Valpo will see Wednesday evening in the Illini rotation.

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 11, 2013, 09:51:13 AMOur first road game may be an ugly one, but hopefully our guys surprise me!
The uglier this game gets the better our showing could be.  I just can not see much advantage in running a controlled, finesse, last year style 3 point shooting contest.

On the job I was always told that there is money in confusion so I suggest that we go for the money and create as much confusion as possible . Illinois understands no better than us how the new rules will be called so lets run a test case with aggressive play on offense, and as many different looks on defense as we can put together. Take it to the hole repeatedly, frequently send people to the offensive glass, and if it looks like they are more back on their heels than we are then turn this game into our first war of attrition style effort. I don't care if we finish the game with Chadwick in the post and Davidson at the 2 or 3 as long as we are within striking distance at the end. For added emphasis I think that Bryce should ceremonially burn last years playbook.

That said I would still pick Illinois to win by 5 to 12 points.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on November 11, 2013, 11:50:12 AM
Excellent video on Coach Powell and Illinois/Valparaiso:

Inside Valpo Athletics: Roger Powell Jr. 11|11|13

That is a great video and my respect and admiration for Coach Powell increased 1000% after hearing him talk. He seems to be so down to earth, yet his faith walk is just outstanding and to be admired. God bless him and his family!

In terms of coaching and recruiting, he is the real deal. If he stays awhile at Valpo given his recruiting ability and connections, I think Valpo can get back to a place of prominence nationally. Maybe the 2nd time around game announcers will actually learn how to pronounce Valparaiso correctly more often.  ;) 

agibson

I wasn't able to make it, but Roger spoke at Morning Prayer last Monday, as part of their usual Monday line-up of faculty, staff, and student speakers.

Looks like the recording's up on the web site.

http://www.valpo.edu/chapel/sundayworship/sermons.php
https://soundcloud.com/valpochapel/roger-powell-speaks-at-morning

Seems like the recording cut off the reading.  Not sure if that was appointed for the day, or if he picked it.  Seems to be the Tower of Babel.  Gensis 11.  From the... King James?