• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/4 Valpo v Ball State (6pm cst). -- game thread

Started by Smj, December 03, 2013, 07:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

valpotx

I see our first road win in this game.  Ball State lost by 1 to Butler at home, but just got whooped at Cleveland State by 23!  It will be close, but I see us getting this important milestone for the season out of the way tomorrow.

Valpo 78
Ball State 69
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

I think this is the game we get the ball rolling on the road (Pun intended).

Valpo 85

Ball St 71

talksalot

Yes... we can munsee how our team is doing away from the friendly confines...

VU 82  Them 68... Gotta control #55 from the boards ( love the name:  Majok Majok ) and hope 5-9" Zavier Turner doesn't get hot from downtown... be fun to watch Lexus guard him without putting him at the FT line (95%).

valpotx

They always have such small guards at Ball State!  There is a guy at my gym that played at Ball State a few years ago, and is also 5'8"-5'9".  Roster below:

http://ballstatesports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_LANG=C&&DB_OEM_ID=14200&SPID=6786&SPSID=62160
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on December 03, 2013, 10:15:33 AMRoster below:
...experience?  "1L, 2L, 3L"?  what, are we playing their law school??!?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on December 03, 2013, 07:35:08 AM
https://www.nmnathletics.com/PremiumVideo.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200

Looks like the game will be streaming here for just under 10 bucks....

QuoteThe game will be televised by Ball State Sports Link and will air throughout the state on Comcast Indiana 81. Additionally, Comcast 61 in Muncie will air the game, and the broadcast will be streamed live for free on ballstatesports.com.

Live Coverage
• Radio (Flagship): Ball State Radio Network (104.1 FM WLBC); Joel Godett (play-by-play); David Eha (Analyst)
• Radio (Student): Sports Link Radio (91.3 FM WCRD); Luke Martin (play-by-play), Sean Stewart (analyst) & Petar Hood (sidelines)
• Television: Ball State Sports Link (Comcast Indiana 81); Tyler Bradfield (play-by-play), Dillon Welch (analyst) & Ryan Bickford (sidelines)
• Internet: Ball State Sports Link streaming video (free) and live audio available through the Ball State All Access package at ballstatesports.com; Live stats also available at ballstatesports.com.

http://www.ihigh.com/hoosiersports365/article_186192.html

It will be the same link https://www.nmnathletics.com/PremiumVideo.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200 but it will be free. I believe BSU charges for football games but men's basketball games are free.

Pre-Valpo game press conference with Ball State head coach James Whitford
http://ballstatesports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14200&id=3125923

It was nice of him to think Valpo lost to Detroit in the HL championship game in 2011-12 in the last second.  ;)

BTW, I think we get the ball rolling by making a statement in this game with our first win on the road.

covufan

We need a good defensive game and limit our turnovers.

Valpo  -  77
Ball St -  69

valporun

In terms of video streaming, check at this site: http://www.mac-sports.com/Schools/BallState/LiveStreaming.aspx at game time. Usually, the MAC has free streaming thru their website. It beats the other links or the PPV stuff on the Ball State site.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Valpo by 3.6 points.  (62% chance of winning tonight, says Sagarin)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 03, 2013, 02:15:39 PM

I think we have a 0% chance of winning tonight.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 03, 2013, 02:30:26 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 03, 2013, 02:15:39 PM

I think we have a 0% chance of winning tonight.

I can picture LAA bouncing his forehead off a wall saying "I can't believe I made a mistake like that. I'm the one who catches those kind of mistakes."  I hope you're not disappointed tonight, Apostle, when the Valpo/BSU game is not on.  ;D

LaPorteAveApostle

What?  I'm watching it right now!

wait a second

THIS ISN'T THE MAC-NETWORK

THIS IS MAC-CLASSIC!!

well that explains why Tracy Gipson is suited up.

MattCarter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 03, 2013, 03:32:21 PMWhat?  I'm watching it right now! ... wait a second THIS ISN'T THE MAC-NETWORK THIS IS MAC-CLASSIC!! well that explains why Tracy Gipson is suited up.
Jim Ford for THREE!
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valpo84

It was a cold and gray December day 1991. My 4 year old son and I drove up from Cincinnati on a Saturday before Christmas to watch us get pummeled 67-46. On the way home, we caught a broadcast of Dr Demento's Christmas Show playing lots of crazy Christmas songs. Oh the days before internet and satellite radio....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

sliman

crusadermoe

Yeah.....I grew up watching 3 TV channels before these new-fangled cable lines started springing up.   

Valpo     74
BSU       69

EddieCabot

Quote from: talksalot on December 03, 2013, 09:41:12 AM
Yes... we can munsee how our team is doing away from the friendly confines...

VU 82  Them 68... Gotta control #55 from the boards ( love the name:  Majok Majok ) and hope 5-9" Zavier Turner doesn't get hot from downtown... be fun to watch Lexus guard him without putting him at the FT line (95%).

Majok Majok was the key player in BSU's near-win over Butler as their post players couldn't guard him one on one.  I don't think he'll be a huge factor given the size that Valpo has ... Crusaders by 6.

wh

Ball State basketball making moderate gains (Muncie Star Press)

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/20131204/SPORTS20/312040023/Ball-State-basketball-making-moderate-gains

Don't miss the Scouting Report inset.  Interesting comments about our offensive sets and zone.

valpo95

I just was thinking that about 20 years ago, Valpo beat Ball State and there were t-shirts available in the bookstore commemorating the victory.  Whatever we think about our team this year (and the exciting young players in particular), consider how far Valpo basketball has come that it is a slight favorite against Ball State.  20 years ago, Ball State was clearly the more well-known national brand, but the records and profiles since then have gone in different directions. 

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on December 04, 2013, 08:13:16 AM
I just was thinking that about 20 years ago, Valpo beat Ball State and there were t-shirts available in the bookstore commemorating the victory
.  Whatever we think about our team this year (and the exciting young players in particular), consider how far Valpo basketball has come that it is a slight favorite against Ball State.  20 years ago, Ball State was clearly the more well-known national brand, but the records and profiles since then have gone in different directions. 

You may be thinking about Valpo's win over Notre Dame in 1993, which came after beating them in Homer's first year.  I actually had one of those tee shirts.  Valpo's history with Ball State goes back to the 20's and for many years they were part of our conference (the ICC).  Our record against them is a very respectable 28-31, hardly the thing that would relate to a tee shirt memorializing a win!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015