• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Possibly" emerged as Tulsa candidate

Started by Chairback, April 12, 2014, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

72 - USC used to be a Methodist school - would that count as a potential school Bryce could go?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2014, 04:36:14 PMIf you go by history, I think Chris Collins going to Northwestern is a bad decision. 

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2014, 04:38:21 PM72 - USC used to be a Methodist school - would that count as a potential school Bryce could go?
Yeah, for that matter one of the HS students my mother was recruiting to VU said "oh, no, I'm going to a *CHRISTIAN* school."

So good luck with that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Chairback

One comment that always sticks in my head was ML's about their being a succession plan in place.  I think the comment was made after Bryce's 1st year as coach.  After that public comment that ensured me that he isn't here for 10 years.  But this program is Homer's baby and I have to assume that this comes into play more than you think.

The biggest threat to our basketball program is our current facilities.  If you had to search for a coach the lack of commitment on facilities will hurt us big time.  It is a major recruiting tool we need for future coaches and players.

Dave_2010

Quote from: Chairback on April 16, 2014, 08:44:14 PMThe biggest threat to our basketball program is our current facilities.  If you had to search for a coach the lack of commitment on facilities will hurt us big time.  It is a major recruiting tool we need for future coaches and players.

There it is...I, for one, am shocked that it took until the 5th page of the thread to show up.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2014, 04:38:21 PM
72 - USC used to be a Methodist school - would that count as a potential school Bryce could go?

Probably not.  In the same way that SMU used to be Methodist, Wagner used to be Lutheran or Harvard used to be Presbyterian, the current state is what will be important to Coach Drew.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 16, 2014, 08:57:34 PM
Quote from: Chairback on April 16, 2014, 08:44:14 PMThe biggest threat to our basketball program is our current facilities.  If you had to search for a coach the lack of commitment on facilities will hurt us big time.  It is a major recruiting tool we need for future coaches and players.

There it is...I, for one, am shocked that it took until the 5th page of the thread to show up.

Let me see if I can make up for lost time...

I cannot imagine Bryce making a decade long commitment of pouring his heart and soul into men's basketball at Valparaiso University and taking the program to the next level without specific assurances from the administration (at least verbal) that the university will do its part by either significantly upgrading the ARC or building a new facility within a reasonable timeframe. If Dr. Heckler doesn't announce something within the next 12-24 months, Bryce will recognize he is being strung along and will go somewhere where he doesn't have to recruit with one hand tied behind his back.

At the moment that happens, Valparaiso University men's basketball will go into free fall - a parade of coaches without Bryce's standing and the Drew name trying to do the impossible and failing, crowds in the triple digits, wins in the single digits.  Out of desperation, plans will be developed to rebuild the ARC, miraculously funds will be found that could never be found when Homer and Bryce were here, and we'll start from scratch.  Somewhere about the same time Bryce's original 10-year contract was due to expire, we might see our next winning season, or at least hopes of one. 

That IS our future if this administration doesn't step up and do what they know full well must be done to remain competitive - and do it soon.  Just can't do it, some say, because we need this or that more important dorm or academic building followed by this or that more important dorm or academic building followed by this or that more important dorm or academic building?  No problem, so long as everyone understands and is willing to accept that you can't have it both ways.  The same logic that says you can't attract science students without competitive science facilities applies exactly for trying to attract quality basketball players without competitive basketball facilities. It will not happen. 

The clocking is ticking...

wh

Interesting Tulsa wrap-up story from the PT, including quotes from ml and encouraging comments from Bryce about how returning players are progressing:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/26889019-556/mens-basketball-bryce-drew-downplays-tulsa-speculation.html#.U09jK17Nqag

valpotx

Valpo won't go into a free fall without Bryce.  We will be fine with or without him in the future.  We have a long history of being a winning program, and a place good coaches can go to in order to build up their resume for bigger jobs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: wh on April 17, 2014, 12:23:32 AM
Interesting Tulsa wrap-up story from the PT, including quotes from ml and encouraging comments from Bryce about how returning players are progressing:

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/26889019-556/mens-basketball-bryce-drew-downplays-tulsa-speculation.html#.U09jK17Nqag

Unfortunately, the notes on Nickerson and Chadwick were not as encouraging.

LaPorteAveApostle

MLB:
QuoteAs we continue to do well, I anticipate this is going to be something that comes up all the time. I feel like I have more of an issue if people lose interest in him, because that means we're not doing well.
The man has a keen grasp.

Bryce:
QuoteHopefully our players keep playing well. If your name's ever brought up in speculation again, it means that the players are playing well.
And you could say the same about BDrew (not just doing well, but 'keen grasp'), but then again, how many coaches are as unwilling to take credit, or conversely, to reflect the glory on the people that got them there? 

QuoteWe're recruiting some players heavily right now, and hopefully we'll be able to add a couple of pieces that can help our team for this year and the following years
You could read this as maybe no grad-year-transfers, or maybe one and a 'normal' transfer.

Does Bryce have a twitter?  Seems like (assistant) coach twitter feeds might be good indications of transfer interest (recall last year when Brian Greene Jr. tweeted "Bryce Drew and Roger Powell are some good dudes", for instance.  of course, then he signed with FGCU.)

*BONUS TO THE DISCURSUS  Joe Dooley recently said this about him at FGCU's end-of-year banquet down here, probably in jest:
Quote"He'll be eligible for us next year," Dooley said of Auburn transfer guard Brian Greene, also a practice player this season. "Hopefully by then he learns how to reverse the ball. I think he's going to really help our perimeter if he can figure out how to get the ball to the other side of the floor."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

usc4valpo

72 - I was kidding about USC being a Christian school.  Bryce will certainly be a bad fit there.

usc4valpo

wh brings up some excellent points on recruiting.  How strapped for cash is Valpo?

78crusader

So, instead of having the best game day atmosphere in the Horizon League -- at least on those nights when the ARC is reasonably full, which unfortunately is not very often -- VU should commit huge amounts of money to a new and larger arena, which will sure look pretty but will also look (and sound) pretty empty on most nights?  All for what?  To impress some 17 year old kid on a recruiting visit?  I'd rather have 3300 in a 5000 seat ARC, than, say, 3800 in a 7500 seat new arena. This is a university, not some training ground for future players in some goofy European basketball league.  Does the university find ways to fund a new dorm or science building or library?  Yep.  Should those projects be given priority over a new basketball arena?  Yep.

By the way, the University of Tulsa arena seats 8.355.  According to the June 2012 issue of AthleticBusiness, "the arena was more than half empty for most games last season."  (This was part of an article on declining attendance at many college programs.) 

Paul 

valpo04

Quote from: 78crusader on April 17, 2014, 07:39:11 AM
So, instead of having the best game day atmosphere in the Horizon League -- at least on those nights when the ARC is reasonably full, which unfortunately is not very often -- VU should commit huge amounts of money to a new and larger arena, which will sure look pretty but will also look (and sound) pretty empty on most nights?  All for what?  To impress some 17 year old kid on a recruiting visit?  I'd rather have 3300 in a 5000 seat ARC, than, say, 3800 in a 7500 seat new arena. This is a university, not some training ground for future players in some goofy European basketball league.  Does the university find ways to fund a new dorm or science building or library?  Yep.  Should those projects be given priority over a new basketball arena?  Yep.

By the way, the University of Tulsa arena seats 8.355.  According to the June 2012 issue of AthleticBusiness, "the arena was more than half empty for most games last season."  (This was part of an article on declining attendance at many college programs.) 

Paul 

I'm looking through this thread for the counterpoint that you are arguing. I can't seem to find anyone discussing the need to increase the capacity of the ARC or build a bigger arena. Upgraded facilities does not necessarily mean increased capacity.

No one can honestly think that the ARC, in it's current state, is perfectly suitable let alone a selling point for a D1 basketball program or it's "in demand" coaches.

crusaderjoe

Paul

I know it is hard for many of you on this board to set aside your D-III athletic level thinking, but lets set it aside anyway and think outside of the box for a moment.  Here is the event list for the Nutter Center from now until the end of the year:

http://www.nuttercenter.com/events.aspx

Ohio One Stop Shop Hop   Apr 25, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Oct 3, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Oct 4, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM      
Jake Owen's Days of Gold Tour with Parmalee and special guest The Cadillac Three   Apr 25, 2014    
USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition   Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 AM      
USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition   Apr 27, 2014 (Sun) 8:00 AM      
Wright State University Commencement   May 3, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM      
Time Warp Prom featuring Stranger   May 3, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM   Purchase your tickets today!   
Battle for Life   May 9, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
First Annual Amigos Latinos Alumni Gala   May 10, 2014 (Sat) 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM   Register online   
Miami Valley Career Technology Center Senior Recognition Ceremony   May 16, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Greene County Career Center Senior Recognition Ceremony   May 21, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM      
Fairmont High School Graduation   May 22, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM      
Fairborn High School Graduation   May 23, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Centerville High School Graduation   May 24, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM      
Northmont High School Graduation   May 25, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Little Miami High School Graduation   May 27, 2014 (Tue) 7:00 PM      
Xenia High School Graduation   May 28, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM      
Stebbins High School Graduation   May 29, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM      
Franklin High School Graduation   May 30, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Beavercreek High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM      
Miamisburg High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 2:00 PM      
Lebanon High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM      
Wayne High School Graduation   Jun 1, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Springboro High School Graduation   Jun 7, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM      
Tecumseh High School Graduation   Jun 8, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus presents BUILT TO AMAZE!   
Monster Jam 2015   

Lookie there...no WSU basketball.

vu72

I think the capacity and amenities of the ARC (bathrooms, locker rooms, concessions etc) have more to do with other options (like outside events--as crusaderjoe has pointed out) It will make for a better experience for the fans and perhaps draw bigger crowds.  I'm still confused as to how a redesigned ARC will help attract better players.

Are the basketball facilities behind other similar institutions?  We redid Hilltop to have a dedicated practice facility, we have a dedicated training facility for basketball, a new floor etc.

What improvements will draw better players to Valpo.  Not trying to be difficult, but I'm wondering whether or not we are confusing fan comfort and experience with player needs.  Valpo will still be located in Valpo, not Chicago.  It will still snow--a lot.  It will still be a small school and religious.  These are the things--together with the coaches, that players look at when deciding where they want to play, not the comfort of the fans.  What am I missing??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on April 17, 2014, 09:34:58 AM
I think the capacity and amenities of the ARC (bathrooms, locker rooms, concessions etc) have more to do with other options (like outside events--as crusaderjoe has pointed out) It will make for a better experience for the fans and perhaps draw bigger crowds.  I'm still confused as to how a redesigned ARC will help attract better players.

It may be that, along with a more attractive fan experience (and, hopefully, an increase in attendance),  upgraded facilities (not a new arena) will be the tipping point in getting better players.  When a recruit visits Resch, Nutter, UIC's Pavilion, even Loyola's Gentile Arena, he can visualize himself playing in those D-I environments. It's somewhat superficial, but if I was being recruited to play D-I BB, I'd want my surroundings to constantly reaffirm to me that this is, indeed, real D-I.   Bryce has been very good at overcoming the ARC's recruiting liabilities.  Imagine if that liability could be turned into an asset. The other thing that could weigh in is that a first rate ARC (not a palace) could persuade some higher profile, nationally known teams to visit instead of Valpo having to go on the road to play them.  An attractive home schedule is also a recruiting inducement (especially for the mom's and dad's of local talent -- which it seems Bryce is going after).

oklahomamick

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 17, 2014, 09:23:36 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on April 17, 2014, 07:39:11 AMSo, instead of having the best game day atmosphere in the Horizon League -- at least on those nights when the ARC is reasonably full, which unfortunately is not very often -- VU should commit huge amounts of money to a new and larger arena, which will sure look pretty but will also look (and sound) pretty empty on most nights? All for what? To impress some 17 year old kid on a recruiting visit? I'd rather have 3300 in a 5000 seat ARC, than, say, 3800 in a 7500 seat new arena. This is a university, not some training ground for future players in some goofy European basketball league. Does the university find ways to fund a new dorm or science building or library? Yep. Should those projects be given priority over a new basketball arena? Yep. By the way, the University of Tulsa arena seats 8.355. According to the June 2012 issue of AthleticBusiness, "the arena was more than half empty for most games last season." (This was part of an article on declining attendance at many college programs.) Paul
I know it is hard for many of you on this board to set aside your D-III athletic level thinking, but lets set it aside anyway and think outside of the box for a moment. Here is the event list for the Nutter Center from now until the end of the year: http://www.nuttercenter.com/events.aspx Ohio One Stop Shop Hop Apr 25, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Oct 3, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Oct 4, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Jake Owen's Days of Gold Tour with Parmalee and special guest The Cadillac Three Apr 25, 2014 USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 AM USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition Apr 27, 2014 (Sun) 8:00 AM Wright State University Commencement May 3, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM Time Warp Prom featuring Stranger May 3, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM Purchase your tickets today! Battle for Life May 9, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM First Annual Amigos Latinos Alumni Gala May 10, 2014 (Sat) 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM Register online Miami Valley Career Technology Center Senior Recognition Ceremony May 16, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM Greene County Career Center Senior Recognition Ceremony May 21, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM Fairmont High School Graduation May 22, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM Fairborn High School Graduation May 23, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM Centerville High School Graduation May 24, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM Northmont High School Graduation May 25, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM Little Miami High School Graduation May 27, 2014 (Tue) 7:00 PM Xenia High School Graduation May 28, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM Stebbins High School Graduation May 29, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM Franklin High School Graduation May 30, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM Beavercreek High School Graduation May 31, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM Miamisburg High School Graduation May 31, 2014 (Sat) 2:00 PM Lebanon High School Graduation May 31, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM Wayne High School Graduation Jun 1, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM Springboro High School Graduation Jun 7, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM Tecumseh High School Graduation Jun 8, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus presents BUILT TO AMAZE! Monster Jam 2015 Lookie there...no WSU basketball.

Tulsa Public Schools hold their graduations at the Maybee Center on the campus of Oral Roberts University.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

When I heard the rumors of TU going after Bryce, I texted Shea Seals who is on staff and the all-time leading scorer in TU history.  He confirmed that Bryce was safe at Valpo.  TU has been a stepping stone for coaching as most mid-majors are.  TU needs to hire a TU guy just like Valpo did.  I hope my friend Shea will become head coach one day at TU and if he does, he will be like Bryce and turn down other jobs in order to work at his alma matta.  TU needs a hometown ledgend like Valpo to avoid the coaches who are 3 years and move to a better job. 

Are we amune to it just because Bryce is a home town legend?  Will he be like his father and coach 15 + years at Valpo and retire at Valpo?  Brad Stevens left his mid-major, Scott Drew left his mid-major and the story goes on.  Will Bryce follow the majority or be like his father?  Time will tell.  But if theres an increased committment to b'ball and its facilities, Bryce stays and retires like his father.  Can Valpo invest and get the ROI as Butler or Creighton?  Why not?   
CRUSADERS!!!

valporun

mick, in terms of college, Scott didn't bleed brown and gold. He was a Butler grad, and a good recruiter of the foreign pipeline. His going to Baylor was a good move for him to create his own program from a program that needed a rebirth after a tragedy. I could see Bruce being at VU to stay.

In terms of the ARC, it needs upgrades to parts of the facility, but I see that happening after the fieldhouse has been built and the non-football, basketball, and volleyball teams have moved their training and locker rooms there. After this is done, I could see the equipment room being moved to the fieldhouse, and that space becomes a new, bigger concession stand, and then have a couple of restrooms created on the parking lot side of the ARC. I don't care if the bleachers become chairbacks, just that the necessary amenities are taken care of first.

VULB#62

Run, if that sequence happens as I also think it will, then the ARC becomes essentailly a BB, VB and FB facility.  So that means the potential to (1) build a lower bowl of permanent chairback seats and (2) popping out the north wall for added bleacher seating to compensate for the reduction of seating below (while adding additional basement and ground floor space).  Capacity would remain about what it is now or maybe increase 500 or so.  That, to me, would evoke a true D-I look and feel (with the associated ammenities improvements, of course).

If that happens, MBB, WBB and VB might even have to vacate for a season and play in an alternative facility (unless temporary bleachers could be set up in the field house  ??? )  Just speculating.

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

I'm more worried about Roger Powell leaving during the summer, than for Bryce to leave this year, as he recruited many of our current players from the Chicagoland area.  I have been hoping that if Bryce leaves, that Roger would take over for a few years, to have some form of continuity. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 17, 2014, 09:23:36 AM

Paul

I know it is hard for many of you on this board to set aside your D-III athletic level thinking, but lets set it aside anyway and think outside of the box for a moment.  Here is the event list for the Nutter Center from now until the end of the year:

http://www.nuttercenter.com/events.aspx

Ohio One Stop Shop Hop   Apr 25, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Oct 3, 2014 (Fri) 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Oct 4, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM      
Jake Owen's Days of Gold Tour with Parmalee and special guest The Cadillac Three   Apr 25, 2014    
USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition   Apr 26, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 AM      
USTA Ohio State Baton Twirling Championships & Open Competition   Apr 27, 2014 (Sun) 8:00 AM      
Wright State University Commencement   May 3, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM      
Time Warp Prom featuring Stranger   May 3, 2014 (Sat) 8:00 PM - 12:00 AM   Purchase your tickets today!   
Battle for Life   May 9, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
First Annual Amigos Latinos Alumni Gala   May 10, 2014 (Sat) 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM   Register online   
Miami Valley Career Technology Center Senior Recognition Ceremony   May 16, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Greene County Career Center Senior Recognition Ceremony   May 21, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM      
Fairmont High School Graduation   May 22, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM      
Fairborn High School Graduation   May 23, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Centerville High School Graduation   May 24, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM      
Northmont High School Graduation   May 25, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Little Miami High School Graduation   May 27, 2014 (Tue) 7:00 PM      
Xenia High School Graduation   May 28, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM      
Stebbins High School Graduation   May 29, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM      
Franklin High School Graduation   May 30, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM      
Beavercreek High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM      
Miamisburg High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 2:00 PM      
Lebanon High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM      
Wayne High School Graduation   Jun 1, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Springboro High School Graduation   Jun 7, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM      
Tecumseh High School Graduation   Jun 8, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM      
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus presents BUILT TO AMAZE!   
Monster Jam 2015   

Lookie there...no WSU basketball.

Valpo could build another billion dollar Barclays Center and it wouldn't get those events. Building a new arena won't attract Jake Owen. Maybe we could attract the Indiana Jr Ribbon Twirling Championship, but because it's Valparaiso, IN, a shiny new multipurpose arena will still yield minimal results.

In terms of a college basketball recruiting standpoint, I'm not sure how big of a role facilities are playing - in 2010 SIU renovated their arena ($30 million!) and their RPI has barely squeaked past 200 since. Green Bay hasn't made the tourney since they've moved in the Resch Center (the leagues best venue). The only people who seem to truly care are conference selection committees.

That's not to say we don't need to do something about the ARC. We do, or at least, we need to actually do some long term planning. We don't have any donors who give a bleep about athletics, but at the same time, it doesn't seem like the university has even tried to raise money for ARC renovations. I don't think we should go overboard with a new arena, but at the very least, we need to spruce up the ARC a bit. I don't think its a lost cause. We could get rid of that stupid track, build out the concourse a bit (by that, I mean actually have a concourse), and add proper bleachers under the home basket. Simple changes that won't cost $30 million for a new arena.

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpotx on April 17, 2014, 11:29:09 AM
I'm more worried about Roger Powell leaving during the summer, than for Bryce to leave this year, as he recruited many of our current players from the Chicagoland area.  I have been hoping that if Bryce leaves, that Roger would take over for a few years, to have some form of continuity.

Bryce Leaves, Roger Leaves. IMO. Roger leaves before bryce though. I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone this offseason.