• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Possibly" emerged as Tulsa candidate

Started by Chairback, April 12, 2014, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Sounds like there were a lot of media people out there looking to get a career at Fox News.

Valpo is very fortunate that Bryce Drew has a genuine passion for his alma mater.  He should have some decent team in the next couple of years as the recruits have serious potential. 

Also, family to him is more important than moving up in the coaching ranks, which I have to respect.  In addition, there will be "step-up" coaching opportunities for him in the upcoming years, so rest assured that these coaching candidate posts are not ending.

ARCInsider

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 15, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/bryce-drew-to-remain-with-crusaders-putting-to-rest-interview/article_5dae86a6-db2c-5613-a93c-c7593770d42a.html

End of thread.
Good job Paul Oren.

If it wasn't Bryce saying it, I would just assume the quotes were typical coach-speak.  He never flat out says, "I'm not leaving."

(I doubt he's leaving.)

usc4valpo

I doubt Bryce Drew will pull a Nick Saban though!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Or a Lou Saban, for those a little older...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 15, 2014, 10:52:33 AM
Sounds like there were a lot of media people out there looking to get a career at Fox News.

wh

Bryce could have put this Tulsa rumor to bed on the first day it surfaced, but for whatever reason he chose not to. Reportedly, the Times and PT left phone and text messages over multiple days, yet for some reason Bryce chose not to respond to them.  Finally, he made a statement today (one clearly open to interpretation), but only after being directly confronted by Oren at an early morning workout at the ARC. 

IMO this is a strange sequence of events for a guy who supposedly isn't interested in going anywhere, especially considering that we are in the midst of a critical recruiting period in which we are looking for key additions to the program.  I know that if it were me and I was totally committed to staying where I was, I would be in touch with our beat reporters about 30 seconds after learning of the rumor to squelch it.  And yet, Bryce chose not to.

Does this leave anyone besides me wondering what Bryce's true intentions are? 

a3uge

Quote from: wh on April 15, 2014, 05:16:53 PM
Bryce could have put this Tulsa rumor to bed on the first day it surfaced, but for whatever reason he chose not to. Reportedly, the Times and PT left phone and text messages over multiple days, yet for some reason Bryce chose not to respond to them.  Finally, he made a statement today (one clearly open to interpretation), but only after being directly confronted by Oren at an early morning workout at the ARC. 

IMO this is a strange sequence of events for a guy who supposedly isn't interested in going anywhere, especially considering that we are in the midst of a critical recruiting period in which we are looking for key additions to the program.  I know that if it were me and I was totally committed to staying where I was, I would be in touch with our beat reporters about 30 seconds after learning of the rumor to squelch it.  And yet, Bryce chose not to.

Does this leave anyone besides me wondering what Bryce's true intentions are?

Because everyone has a price. Even Shaka Smart. He responded the way every coach would, and responded the same way Shaka Smart did with both the UCLA and Marquette job rumors. Bryce could be using these other jobs as leverage for Valpo to up his salary, to invest more in the program, or for future jobs down the road. I don't think anyone would say that Shaka isn't completely invested in VCU, and I personally think Bryce is still 100% committed to Valpo. At least for now.

I'm not going to hold much stock in Bryce not texting back Gorches or someone like that, but I don't blame him for seeing what's out there.

valpopal

Not sure how reliable the sources are for this, but report is that Bryce turned down an offer from Tulsa.

[tweet]456229926640037888[/tweet]

wh

If true, it says he has had at least 2 direct conversations with Tulsa representatives - 1 to receive the offer and a 2nd to reject it.

HC

At least you all can rest easy until next year around this time.

wh

Everything you ever wanted to know about Bryce and Tulsa, interviews in Chicago, the whole 9 yards
By Paul Oren

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/inside-the-tulsa-tip/article_06260df6-c4df-11e3-884a-0019bb2963f4.html

Till next time...

wh

For those of us who have been hoping that what Bryce said after he signed a new 10 year contract about wanting to stay at Valpo for the long haul was more than just standard "coach speak," I think we have have our answer.  After serious looks at Mississippi State and Tulsa 2 years ago and now Tulsa again, it seems abundantly clear that Bryce leaving is just a matter of time.  Not there's anything wrong with that.  Most of us spend our entire careers chasing fame and fortune at some level. I guess I just naively thought that Bryce may somehow be different - a romanticist, a chip off the old Homer block, or something like that. Oh well, time to get back to the real world.     

usc4valpo

wh - I liked your comments and I learned much from Paul's article.  The issue today, not just in sports but in business at a broader perspective, is there is a lack of dedication and loyalty between the employee and the company. 

In the 60's and early 70's, for the most part there was genuine committment and strong working relationships between the employer and employee.  The employer would take care of its employees and vice-versa.  Layoffs and short-term profits were not the priority.  Employees were not jumping from company to company.  When times were a little rough or sales were a little down, the company would not get rid of employees.

Today it is the opposite.  There is less true committment between the company and its employees. There is less patience for positive results and profits.  Very rarely do you see an employee stay with the same company for the entire career.  If profits are not high, either reduce workforce and compensate them low.  Make sure the CEO salaries escalate.

Now to relate to sports:  few schools and professional teams have a long patience level.  Valpo is the exception to this, not the rule (sometimes they are too patient - look at Tom Smith for 8 years and how they handled the Dale Carlson football situation).  At football powerhouses like Alabama or Tennessee, a couple of 8-4 seasons will get you out the door.  For basketball at USC, where they have not had great success, they will give Andy Enfield 3 years, and if they are not competitive or in the tournament, he and his trophy model wife will be gone.  Also, if a coach turns around a program from the dumpster, the school and its supporters will expect more, and if more is not met within a certain time, then his job is in jeopardy.

IMO, Bryce will leave Valpo and find a higher profile job and the right place at the right time.  And he would not be a traitor - that's how the American work experince is today.  I think if all  of us saw a better opportunity that would improve our quality of life, we would at least have to consider it.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2014, 08:15:41 AM
wh - I liked your comments and I learned much from Paul's article.  ................. [Me too]
IMO, Bryce will leave Valpo and find a higher profile job and the right place at the right time.  And he would not be a traitor - that's how the American work experience is today.  I think if all  of us saw a better opportunity that would improve our quality of life, we would at least have to consider it.

Agree on all accounts.  But improved quality of life may not be synonymous with moving up the corporate or athletic ladder or exponential salary increases.  Sometimes less is more.  It depends on the individual.  I see in this Bryce scenario a great deal of care being taken by him to make sure his next move is an improvement in all phases of his and his family's life -- not just chasing the glitter of a high profile coaching position.

usc4valpo

Yes indeed - quality of life is measured by individual ctiteria and importance.  Some folks like moving up the corporate ladder.  Some pursue money.  Some pursue power.  Some pursue enjoying what you do. Some pursue work-life balance.

classof2014

The one thing I'd hate to see happen to a guy like Bryce is if he were to jump to a bigger program in the B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, etc.. and the team is unsuccessful in his first 3 to 4 seasons and Bryce is subsequently fired. Chances are he'll end back in a Mid-Major program, perhaps a program that is not at the same quality as Valpo. Obviously if he's successful at the next level, it'll do great things for him but the next level is extremely competitive when it comes to coaches and patience is no longer a virtue up their.

So let's look at the positives at staying at Valpo

- Job is secure
- He has been successful
- He is a beloved figure in town
- He has strong roots in Valpo
- Much of his family lives in the area
- Quality Mid-Major prgram

Negative at staying at Valpo

- No matter what we do we will never be consistently at the level of the Kansas's, Kentucky's, Ohio State's, etc...
- If the basketball program takes a turn for the worse his chances of moving up decrease drastically
- Less money
- Mid-major program

Positives of going to a bigger program

- More money
- Better opportunity to win a national championship
- Much more recognizable
- If successful perhaps he can get into the NBA as a coach
- Top-tier recruits
- Better facilities

Negatives of going to a bigger program

- Less secure
- More likely to get fired
- Perhaps end up at a lower level mid-major program
- Media coverage
- Harsh world

Staying at Valpo has its positives and negatives and so does going to a bigger program. If he waits perhaps that door will close if Valpo doesn't get back to the form it was in 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. As many know those big programs are high risk high reward, if he's successful he can truly become a basketball god but if not they'll leave him on the side of the road and move on. I'm glad he's at least staying around for another year and who knows perhaps he does stay here for the full 10 years of his contract. It can't hurt to shop around as you never know when that perfect opportunity will present itself and it's obvious that Bryce isn't leaving unless it's a perfect opportunity. Since he has had a chance to go to bigger programs and has chosen to stay at Valpo.

Dave_2010

I will say that it's nice to see Valpo coaches with aspirations beyond just being the head coach at VU. A desire for career advancement motivates coaches to perform at their absolute peak. What drives Bryce right now is the same thing that drove Tracy Woodson to resurrect a baseball program long left for dead. I presume the same is true for Jordan Stevens and the softball program, and I'm hoping Brian Schmack and Dave Cecchini fall in to the same boat as well (no reason to believe they don't as of yet).

Contrast this to our previous two head football coaches. For both Adams and Carlson, Valpo seemed like the reward a career of hard work. Being content in the position you have is the easiest way to kill professional development and the development of your program.

As for Bryce, opportunities to move will always be on the table. His basketball teams will continue to meet and exceed expectations because his is driven and a damn good basketball coach. I'm sure he has a short-list of qualities for his ideal job that (for reasons enumerated earlier in this thread and others) Tulsa clearly didn't meet.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 16, 2014, 11:46:20 AMFor both Adams and Carlson, Valpo seemed like the reward a career of hard work. Being content in the position you have is the easiest way to kill professional development and the development of your program.
First, I agree with the thoughts you have shared, with one exception, excerpted here: I don't think your second sentence necessarily follows your first.  I would think getting the job you've always wanted would inspire you to work to keep it, because if you screw this one chance up, it's back to the salt mines.  At least, that's my take on human nature.

Further, although I know neither Adams nor Carlson, my perspective is certainly not that they sat back contentedly rubbing their bellies instead of working at getting better.  I mean, obviously they failed; I'm not sure that was the reason.

And, 2014, good analysis--Todd Lickliter comes to mind immediately as someone who jumped at the wrong opportunity.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 16, 2014, 08:15:41 AM
wh - I liked your comments and I learned much from Paul's article.  The issue today, not just in sports but in business at a broader perspective, is there is a lack of dedication and loyalty between the employee and the company. 

In the 60's and early 70's, for the most part there was genuine committment and strong working relationships between the employer and employee.  The employer would take care of its employees and vice-versa.  Layoffs and short-term profits were not the priority.  Employees were not jumping from company to company.  When times were a little rough or sales were a little down, the company would not get rid of employees.

Today it is the opposite.  There is less true committment between the company and its employees. There is less patience for positive results and profits.  Very rarely do you see an employee stay with the same company for the entire career.  If profits are not high, either reduce workforce and compensate them low.  Make sure the CEO salaries escalate.

Now to relate to sports:  few schools and professional teams have a long patience level.  Valpo is the exception to this, not the rule (sometimes they are too patient - look at Tom Smith for 8 years and how they handled the Dale Carlson football situation).  At football powerhouses like Alabama or Tennessee, a couple of 8-4 seasons will get you out the door.  For basketball at USC, where they have not had great success, they will give Andy Enfield 3 years, and if they are not competitive or in the tournament, he and his trophy model wife will be gone.  Also, if a coach turns around a program from the dumpster, the school and its supporters will expect more, and if more is not met within a certain time, then his job is in jeopardy.

IMO, Bryce will leave Valpo and find a higher profile job and the right place at the right time.  And he would not be a traitor - that's how the American work experince is today.  I think if all  of us saw a better opportunity that would improve our quality of life, we would at least have to consider it.

I think that Bryce won't leave until he is offered a higher profile position at a school where he is comfortable sharing his faith with the fans and players.  That means the state school jobs are probably out.  Scott has said publicly that he would feel that he had hurt his players if he didn't make sure they knew about Jesus and what that can mean in their lives and beyond.

I guess that leaves lots of religious schools as options but would also think that Catholic schools (no offense intended Apostle) might not be a good fit either as the approach and teachings might not fit with a Bible Christian, which I believe Bryce might be.  So, as valpotx pointed out, TCU might fit or perhaps a private, non-religious school who wouldn't find his faith and sharing to be an issue--maybe a Wake Forest, who knows.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2014, 12:21:40 PMI guess that leaves lots of religious schools as options but would also think that Catholic schools (no offense intended Apostle) might not be a good fit either as the approach and teachings might not fit with a Bible Christian
right, because why would the people that actually WROTE and PRESERVED the Bible know anything about it?

wh

My advice to Bryce on how to freely live his Christian faith AND have long term success as a college basketball coach:
1. Shy away from liberal, government-funded institutions of higher learning
2. Focus on opportunities in the Bible Belt
3. NEVER take a job anywhere in Michigan, especially the Detroit metroplex or anywhere else where CAIR bullies cowardice infidels.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 16, 2014, 01:09:06 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2014, 12:21:40 PMI guess that leaves lots of religious schools as options but would also think that Catholic schools (no offense intended Apostle) might not be a good fit either as the approach and teachings might not fit with a Bible Christian
right, because why would the people that actually WROTE and PRESERVED the Bible know anything about it?

Wow!  Good point.  I had no idea Moses was a Catholic!!   ;)

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

I think Bryce's stock rose after this season when he should he could win with a roster playing four freshmen a majority of the minutes in the season, even if our conference played some lackluster basketball all season. I mean we were predicted to finish sixth, and we actually finished fourth with our roster. I see Bryce going at some point, just not interested in speculating where he'll go.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2014, 02:17:59 PMI had no idea Moses was a Catholic!
Jesus converted him on Mount Tabor, obviously

usc4valpo

If you go by history, I think Chris Collins going to Northwestern is a bad decision.  Any coach going to DePaul would also be a bad decision.