• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

How does this affect HLN, I wonder?

Started by StlVUFan, July 12, 2011, 11:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

I hope IMG paid a pretty penny for these rights.

vu72

Interesting that Valpo had signed on with these guys before the conference.  A "ground breaker" once again!!  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

How does it affect HLN?

Maybe it will only affect advertisements during the broadcasts?

Looks like they have the right to sell public address advertisements, too?

valporun

I hope it means a better quality product for video. I'm guessing we'll start seeing a situation where we'll have to pay to view Valpo sports and HL games, which if the video quality is good, I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks to watch my alma mater.

humbleopinion

In the best of all worlds, the quality of the broadcast improves, and the service is still free.  There will just be ads during the time outs and half time.
Beamin' Beacons

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on July 13, 2011, 02:04:31 PM
I hope it means a better quality product for video. I'm guessing we'll start seeing a situation where we'll have to pay to view Valpo sports and HL games, which if the video quality is good, I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks to watch my alma mater.

That's kind of the direction I was thinking about.  For a reasonable price, I'd be willing to pay too.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: humbleopinion on July 13, 2011, 04:00:59 PM
In the best of all worlds, the quality of the broadcast improves, and the service is still free.  There will just be ads during the time outs and half time.

ideally that would be fantastic. i would have no problem with that.

rlh

Unless I misread the release, this is only for tournament games....right?

valporun

Quote from: rlh on July 14, 2011, 10:42:17 AM
Unless I misread the release, this is only for tournament games....right?

It reads, to me, that IMG has the next five seasons of regular season and championship tournament/conference day video coverage. They basically have full control of all broadcasting of any sports each of the HL schools covers, or that the HL wants to broadcast.

rlh

Here's what it says......I don't see anything about the regular season games.....

"Under the terms of the agreement, IMG College will manage and market all rights associated with advertising and sponsorship inventory including title sponsorship, temporary venue signage, game programs, event promotions, and hospitality at Horizon League championship events."

What am I missing?

agibson

Criminally vague punctuation!

I'd read it more like "'all rights associated with advertising" (for all games, potentially) "including.... hospitality at HL championship events".  But wasn't really sure.

It could easily (probably more sensibly?) mean "all rights associated with A, B, C, D, at Horizon League championship events."