• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2011-12 Men's Home Schedule (tentative)

Started by wh, August 09, 2011, 08:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Revenge for the men's soccer loss to Duquesne this season?

But, I guess Akron and Duquesne will probably be no slouches.  Akron coming of a 23 win season and a #15 seed.  Duquesne coming off a fourth place A10 finish (the best A10 team not to dance?).

If the Valpo team is what we hope, these should be very good games.  But, do we know that they're coming to Valpo?  Or just that they're taking part in the larger, overall event?

letsgovu

hopefully this is not too off-topic but does anyone know if there will be another hoopsmania night this year and if so when it will be?

I went last year and it was fun to see the personality of the players before things get too serious.

wh

Quote from: letsgovu on September 18, 2011, 01:51:24 PM
hopefully this is not too off-topic but does anyone know if there will be another hoopsmania night this year and if so when it will be?

I went last year and it was fun to see the personality of the players before things get too serious.

College bb practice officially commences on Oct. 14th - less than 4 weeks away.  Every year it seems that this event is announced and profiled at the last minute - as if it's an afterthought.   It always has the appearance that someone is questioning whether they really want to do it, whether they want to put in the effort to pull a program together, or whatever.  The rule of thumb for lead time for sending out invitations to an event that you're truly interested in people showing is 6 weeks.  "Save the Date" announcements should go out a minimum of 4 weeks prior to that.  This is event planning 101.

valpomarketingguy

There will not be a Hoops Mania this year. It was a unanimous decision made by the administration and coaching staff after recognizing the event has lost steam year after year and was pretty disappointing last year. 

rlh

A lot of school's have had the same experience and have quit doing it....not a big surprise

wh

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on September 18, 2011, 04:30:40 PM

There will not be a Hoops Mania this year. It was a unanimous decision made by the administration and coaching staff after recognizing the event has lost steam year after year and was pretty disappointing last year.  

A serious decline in student attendance last year.  Now we scrap Hoops Mania.  What's next in our journey toward institutional apathy?  Hopefully, our players (and our potential recruits) won't take their cues from the lack of enthusiasm being demonstrated by their on-campus support system.  

rlh

valpotx

I remember that event as being packed when I was in school.  I guess it helped that we were making the tournament every year.  Almost every game was packed too, sad to see that change.
"Don't mess with Texas"

PatVU07

Quite disappointed to find out there is no "midnight" practice this year.  Some awesome times there when I was in school.  Seems to me like a lack of interest probably comes from a lack of planning and organization on the part of the administration.  Hope to see this come back in future years. 

vu72

Actually, practice has already started--in a limited manner.  I think the team can practice together for two hours a week.  Anybody stopped by the ARC to see some action?  Any reports?  Anything??   :popcorn:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

I was considering going this year - could have been a fun event.

But, midnight is past my bedtime!

I wonder if there will be some other "kick-off" event in its place?  Either for the start of practices, or the start of games, etc.?

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on September 19, 2011, 09:47:21 AM
I was considering going this year - could have been a fun event.

But, midnight is past my bedtime!

I wonder if there will be some other "kick-off" event in its place?  Either for the start of practices, or the start of games, etc.?

I think the university might have had a kick-off event that was centered around the theme of "Welcome Coach Bryce Drew," and while introducing the new players, they also could have invited folks from Bryce's history in the Valpo community and Valpo high school basketball, beginning the season with some outreach to the local fans that would set a tone for the rest of the season.

FWalum

QuoteI think the university might have had a kick-off event that was centered around the theme of "Welcome Coach Bryce Drew," and while introducing the new players, they also could have invited folks from Bryce's history in the Valpo community and Valpo high school basketball, beginning the season with some outreach to the local fans that would set a tone for the rest of the season.
Pretty surprised that in Bryce's initial year this type of kick-off event was not planned.  Isn't that called sports marketing? Don't we have someone to do that sort of thing?   ???
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

I happened across at least one mini-kickoff event in the church bulletin Sunday.  The new director of basketball operations (they called him a new assistant coach) will give a talk to a group of area seniors (as in senior citizens) discussing the upcoming season.

So, there's a certain amount of outreach going on.

Perhaps something bigger is also in the works.

valporun

While Hoops Mania/Midnight Madness programs can be fun and entertaining, for many coaches, they want to do away with the glorified light shows and dunk contests of the first practice, and just get to practicing. A lot of coaches have said that one of the problems they have with the public practice to open the season is that it is just basically setup as a street ball session to excite potential fans or season ticket holders, instead of letting this kind of event happen a few days after the season has started. It proves ineffective for some coaches to have to open up their season with a stage show/circus for fans and season ticket holders, instead of just getting the practice unis and shoes on and getting down to the nitty-gritty.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on September 19, 2011, 02:24:19 PM
While Hoops Mania/Midnight Madness programs can be fun and entertaining, for many coaches, they want to do away with the glorified light shows and dunk contests of the first practice, and just get to practicing. A lot of coaches have said that one of the problems they have with the public practice to open the season is that it is just basically setup as a street ball session to excite potential fans or season ticket holders, instead of letting this kind of event happen a few days after the season has started. It proves ineffective for some coaches to have to open up their season with a stage show/circus for fans and season ticket holders, instead of just getting the practice unis and shoes on and getting down to the nitty-gritty.

well said valporun.  We open the season pretty quickly and with all the new faces on the roster wasting one practice on a dunk contest seems nonproductive.  Granted, it may help with student interest and season ticket sales but a quality win will go as far or maybe farther.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on September 19, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

well said valporun.  We open the season pretty quickly and with all the new faces on the roster wasting one practice on a dunk contest seems nonproductive.  Granted, it may help with student interest and season ticket sales but a quality win will go as far or maybe farther.

We're not talking about a losing program that needs to give people a reason to show up.  We had 23 wins last year, we were 12-6 in conference, we were vieing for the conference championship right up until the last week of the season, we had exciting all-conference players, and yet we had dreadful student turnouts at several home games - what clearly seemed to be the worst since before the Bryce Drew era.  There were games when school was in session where there were not more than 25-50 students in the student section, depending on the opponent.  I don't know what the answer is, but I have a hard time understanding how eliminating the Hoops Mania event fits this scenario.  It would seem that logic would dictate that you eliminate it when you no longer need it to generate enthusiasm, not when you do. 

valpomarketingguy

Quote from: wh on September 19, 2011, 05:33:02 PM

We're not talking about a losing program that needs to give people a reason to show up.  We had 23 wins last year, we were 12-6 in conference, we were vieing for the conference championship right up until the last week of the season, we had exciting all-conference players, and yet we had dreadful student turnouts at several home games - what clearly seemed to be the worst since before the Bryce Drew era.  There were games when school was in session where there were not more than 25-50 students in the student section, depending on the opponent.  I don't know what the answer is, but I have a hard time understanding how eliminating the Hoops Mania event fits this scenario.  It would seem that logic would dictate that you eliminate it when you no longer need it to generate enthusiasm, not when you do. 

WH-

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your critique of the decision.  What I failed to mention before is that the traditional Hoops Mania event is being replaced with a different event geared directly towards our student body, with the goal of engaging them on a new level and getting them excited about the upcoming year.  We are also planning a separate replacement event that caters to our season ticket holders, recognizing they are another key group who has traditionally attended the Hoops Mania event and would likely appreciate a season ticket holder only version of it.  We may not always get things right, but you can be sure there is a ton of thought and hard work being put in to marketing our teams.  I hope this clarifies things.  More information will be available shortly.

wh

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on September 19, 2011, 06:39:13 PM
Quote from: wh on September 19, 2011, 05:33:02 PM

WH-

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your critique of the decision.  What I failed to mention before is that the traditional Hoops Mania event is being replaced with a different event geared directly towards our student body, with the goal of engaging them on a new level and getting them excited about the upcoming year.  We are also planning a separate replacement event that caters to our season ticket holders, recognizing they are another key group who has traditionally attended the Hoops Mania event and would likely appreciate a season ticket holder only version of it.  We may not always get things right, but you can be sure there is a ton of thought and hard work being put in to marketing our teams.  I hope this clarifies things.  More information will be available shortly.

I suddenly feel WAY better!  Thanks for the clarification.

valpopal

[We are also planning a separate replacement event that caters to our season ticket holders, recognizing they are another key group who has traditionally attended the Hoops Mania event and would likely appreciate a season ticket holder only version of it.

Just received the invitation to season ticket holders for an open practice and light dinner provided by Blackbird Cafe on October 15. I assume this is what Valpomarketingguy is referencing. Sounds like a good event, and I'm looking forward to it.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on September 27, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
[We are also planning a separate replacement event that caters to our season ticket holders, recognizing they are another key group who has traditionally attended the Hoops Mania event and would likely appreciate a season ticket holder only version of it.

Just received the invitation to season ticket holders for an open practice and light dinner provided by Blackbird Cafe on October 15. I assume this is what Valpomarketingguy is referencing. Sounds like a good event, and I'm looking forward to it.

Me too!

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on September 09, 2011, 12:33:37 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on September 01, 2011, 08:58:17 PM
Akron and Duquesne are 2 of the teams in the tourney for sure...the other team has not yet been determined

Rumor I hear is that the third team might be Eastern Kentucky.

Eastern Kentucky just released their schedule, and apparently they are not the third team.

agibson

As per the other thread, Akron and Duquesne are confirmed.  And IU Kokomo, a first year team, club this year, NAIA next year, is the third.  The other team that will play in the ARC (but not against Valpo) is D2 University of DC.

vu72

So I'm thinking our non-conference schedule is pretty good and better than last year.

Using the final Sagarin rankings from last year, we play teams ranked 1,16,58,72,122,133,174,235,282 and 335.  This is not counting anyone non-D1.

Last year we played teams ranked 2,13,58,130,146,155,174,302,312 and 333.
These ranking do not include the Bracket Buster or Post Season play.

So we play four teams in the top 100 vs. 3, 7 teams in the top 200 vs. 7 last year, but only 1 ranked in the 300's vs. 3 last year.

By the way, we finished ranked 94, our best finish since 07-08 when we also were ranked 94, but before that you have to go back to 02-03 when we finished ranked 93.  Our highest finish was in 01-02 when we were ranked 62, other than our top 25 finish in 97-98.