• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Western Kentucky 11/15/18 at MB Inv. - 4:00 (CST) ESPNU

Started by bbtds, November 07, 2018, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: bbtds on November 15, 2018, 10:21:15 AMThanks for the WKU team update and welcome to the board. I think you should feel comfortable watching this game because as was mentioned before this Valpo team has a huge problem in the rebounding dept and if your big man has skills in the offensive end he will kill us under the basket. Our bigs just have no tenacity.
Our fanbase is very anxious to gauge the progress that our center trio of Sorolla, McMillan and Smits have made. All have had some struggles with defense and rebounding. The November level of play from our centers should reveal the limits of how good we might be by March. As an outsider you should be forewarned that the VU fans might get excited about only modest improvements in their play. That is because none has consistently lived up to our expectations. Thus a sudden leap up to adequacy would be viewed by me as a giant step forward!  :thumbsup:    WKU by 8????

crusadermoe

Perhaps you will find this board to be well spoken and reasonably fair. 

When I look at other messages boards at times I typically see a lot of name calling and profanity.  That is just a general observation.

mjg100

With the recruiting class plus returning players we have, I have been anxious for basketball season to start for six months. :) Our message board is also pretty civiil. Hope for a good clean game with no injuries. :)

covufan

We need to do better on the defensive boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talksalot

15 POINTS ON THE BOARD... 10 of them are second chance points... Yup... need our 7-footer to matchup with theirs

LOVING the shot selection.

NativeCheesehead

However this game turns out I know one thing.  We are ONE semi competent big away from being a really good team. WHY CANT YOU BE 6'11 KISER?

covufan

We also need to stop giving up the dribble with no plan to shoot or pass. Really hampers the offensive flow.

IrishDawg

I hate these officiating delays - either make the call or don't.

Western Kentucky is not a great passing team.  I'd stay in the zone to hopefully limit their dribble drives.  Valpo's getting beat badly on the glass anyway, so the zone isn't going to negatively impact that.

a3uge

Kiser is killing this team

Edit: deficit ballooned to 9 before he's taken out. He gives nothing offensively and can't rebound.

NativeCheesehead

This whole swing is due to the fact that we have to play two ends of the floor compensating for the fact that Derrik Smits hasn't gotten any better since he set foot on campus.

wh

crusadermoe

He's overmatched.  Not his fault.  Didn't he walk on?   

What would be great is to have a tall guy with a big wing span to stay in the path of Bassey.   Oh wait......   

If this isn't the time to put in our big guy just to take up space, what is?   But I can see why Matt opts not to do it.

NativeCheesehead

Well, hanging with a good team was fun while it lasted.

a3uge

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2018, 04:47:01 PM
He's overmatched.  Not his fault.  Didn't he walk on?   

What would be great is to have a tall guy with a big wing span to stay in the path of Bassey.   Oh wait......   

If this isn't the time to put in our big guy just to take up space, what is?   But I can see why Matt opts not to do it.
I'm not blaming Kiser... I'm blaming the coach who has over played him the past two years.

oklahomamick

How did western Kentucky get all these potential pros?
CRUSADERS!!!

NativeCheesehead

They hired the big guys guardian. Basically what Maravilla pulled with Skara but perfectly legal. Bet he ends up with a "film" job with whatever NBA team drafts him.

crusadermoe

Good question.   Bassey is just turning 18.  Scary.     They will probably be very good this year.   

When it comes to MVC play and any game against length, I am afraid that Cheesehead's comment nails the issue.   I so hate to personalize this. 

I do really like Lavender.  Very reliable with the ball and creates good angles that are pretty hard to find without a big in the middle.

nkvu

Unfortunately, going about the way I was afraid it would.  In it for a while, but giving up so many offensive rebounds and second chance points gets demoralizing. Forced to foul to try to keep WKU off the boards so they get 20 free throws to our 8.

oklahomamick

It's more than just the big guy that is a 4 star recruit potential pro.
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

The stats show we each have 8 offensive rebounds - WKU has 16 second chance points to our 9. Still need to box out better.

We are getting good looks from 3 pt land, need to make a few more the second half. I don't see WKU hitting another 60% from 3 or land in second half.

oklahomamick

Well....only positive I'm taking from the first half is I had western Kentucky -3.....for a couple units.  If I'm going to watch us lose at least I can make money doing it. 
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

Good Grief!   Charlie Brown hit six 3-pointers for St. Joseph to wipe out Wake Forest in game #1.   

NativeCheesehead

Oh I completely separate the personal and what's going on on the floor. I couldn't be more impressed with Derrik as a person and a student. He's incredibly bright and has always been very polite to my daughters who like him because he's so tall. But I am extremely disappointed in his lack of development and lack of defensive aggression. Granted, he's a Bryce Drew Horizon League recruit. But at some point you can't be anything other than disappointed by his strides, or lack there of, on the court.

a3uge

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2018, 05:02:55 PM
Good question.   Bassey is just turning 18.  Scary.     They will probably be very good this year.   

When it comes to MVC play and any game against length, I am afraid that Cheesehead's comment nails the issue.   I so hate to personalize this. 

I do really like Lavender.  Very reliable with the ball and creates good angles that are pretty hard to find without a big in the middle.
Freeman looks promising as well.

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 15, 2018, 05:06:23 PM
It's more than just the big guy that is a 4 star recruit potential pro.

Yeah, it's also having a 7-2 3-Star Red-shirt junior that can't do his job - 2 fouls, 0 points and 0 rebounds, 0 blocks in 2 minutes of playing time - leaving a mismatch for others to contend with.