• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. WVU 11/24/2018@1pm CST

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 23, 2018, 01:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

WVU isn't as good as the media thought they would be, but I still think they will light us up. Smits will get into foul trouble with Konate down low. Will Sorolla play? I clicked the video link for the game, I wonder if the game will be free to watch tomorrow? Keeping it within single digits could be a "moral victory" but I'm not optimistic that will happen. Maybe someone else has a different opinion??

VU-58
WVU-79

valpotx

I would assume that Jay will play, based on Matt's postgame remarks that he thought he made a mistake in not having him suit up for SIU-E at different points in that game.

WVU 76
Valpo 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Think it's safe to assume we won't be able to compete with Huggins level physicality until we show otherwise.

WVU 78
VU 49

Will be out rebounded by 16.

VUBBFan

Down in Myrtle Beach they looked a little ragged. You could tell they were not in sync. The WVU fans were saying the team had not gelled together yet and were having difficulties playing together as a team. With only playing a couple of games you can tell the players are not used to the system or set plays yet.

crusadermoe

The loud and hungry home court at WVU might well be a factor.  Myrtle Beach was a quiet neutral court.  I'll take 82-63.

valpo64

WVU may lack student support for the game because of the Thanksgiving break.  Will there be any TV?

justducky

We have the players and talent to show up, play all out and compete. We will need the same kind of effort that SIUE demonstrated against us Wed night. Nothing like the Purdue and Northwestern surrenders  :whiteflag: from last year should have any chance of happening. In fact with Jay back maybe we can show an overconfident team some new wrinkles. Somehow I think we keep it close.

oklahomamick

After my Sooners beat the football team tonight, the student body will not show up for the basketball game tomorrow.  That WV crowd is worth 5 points alone.  Luckily they will be demoralized after tonight.  :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

I agree that Valpo will find some way to keep it close despite being out rebounded and out shot. The new wrinkles of Smits being to score down low more often and the athletic ability of Freeman, Sackey and Golder will make it closer than what many are thinking. Hopefully one of our non-shooters, maybe Mileek, Kiser or Bradford will find some way to make an unexpected number of shots.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 23, 2018, 05:27:11 PMWill there be any TV?

According to the West Virginia website the broadcast will be on A.T.&T. SportsNet.

http://www.attsportsnet.com/learn-more/

tiny707

Valpo will win this one. Hugh game by Javon.

wh

nkvu

Quote from: wh on November 23, 2018, 09:18:03 PM
The spread WVA -17

We might cover, but I don't think we have traditionally played very well against Huggins coached teams. Our guards had better be ready to face really tight guarding as Huggins teams usually play smothering defense.  Huggins is really good at intimidating referees, so expect WVU to get away with a lot of non-called fouls. Expect WVU to shoot 20 to 30 foul shots to Valpo's 8 to 12.

wh

Quote from: justducky on November 23, 2018, 05:31:12 PM
...with Jay back maybe we can show an overconfident team some new wrinkles. Somehow I think we keep it close.

We shall see. Matt said in the SIUE postgame that Jay was 100%, yet he decided to hold him out, something that had him 2nd guessing himself the longer the game wore on. Presumably, he wants Jay to be as fresh as possible for tomorrow's game. While I get that, he also passed on an opportunity for Jay to shake off some rust before getting thrown into a big game against top notch competition.   

oklahomamick

Does Valpo score more points than the Sooners?
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

I'm concerned about the ball handling anytime Lavender isn't on the court. He's going to probably rack up close to 32-35 minutes tomorrow, imo. Bakari just isn't a primary ball handler and Micah is hurt. WVU's press is going to give all kinds of problems tomorrow. We need crisp passes and we can't afford to get lax with ball handling. This doesn't seem like a game Sackey will be trusted to play significant minutes unless it's a blow out they just let him do his thing.

I'm wondering if Jay will be on a minutes restriction tomorrow.

justducky

Quote from: wh on November 23, 2018, 09:52:53 PM
Quote from: justducky on November 23, 2018, 05:31:12 PM
...with Jay back maybe we can show an overconfident team some new wrinkles. Somehow I think we keep it close.

We shall see. Matt said in the SIUE postgame that Jay was 100%, yet he decided to hold him out, something that had him 2nd guessing himself the longer the game wore on. Presumably, he wants Jay to be as fresh as possible for tomorrow's game. While I get that, he also passed on an opportunity for Jay to shake off some rust before getting thrown into a big game against top notch competition.   

Let me rephrase my emphasis on our situation.

The team we have today is also next years team. If we expect to challenge for the 2019-20 MVC championship then we have to challenge WVU today at their house, with their crowd, and their coach. Anything less is unacceptable. Matt has to figure out a way for this to happen.

IrishDawg

I think there's a preconceived notion that West Virginia is really hard nosed on the defensive end, but this version of Press Virginia isn't close to previous years. They haven't turned teams over, they foul (a lot), and they allow offensive boards. They are good at defending the paint, so Valpo will need to hit some 3s, as I anticipate Konate will make life tougher on Smits to score in the paint. 

On defense, Valpo has to do better on the boards, and defend without fouling as West Virginia is really good at getting to the free throw line and getting 2nd chances.  If I'm Valpo, I would put some pressure on them, as they've had a propensity to turn it over a lot, and that's something Valpo's defense has done well at this year.

I think it's a big ask to expect them to win or even remain competitive if Valpo can't hit some outside shots, control the glass or win the free throw battle. I actually think the environment will be pretty low key given its Thanksgiving break and they had a major football game last night. Just wish it would be easier to find on TV.

valpolaw

I just don't see this one being close based on what I've seen so far this season. I'm guessing we lose by 25-30.

VU2014

I've never even heard of ATSN. If I don't get channel I'll be listening to the game on radio.

aleavitt

The video link on the website/social media is free outside the AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh local viewing area.

VU2014

JD24

Quote from: IrishDawg on November 24, 2018, 05:35:50 AMI actually think the environment will be pretty low key given its Thanksgiving break and they had a major football game last night. Just wish it would be easier to find on TV.
This game was probably scheduled specifically to ride the coattails of last night's football crowd which didn't seem affected by the Thanksgiving break. So I expect a full house who, assuming they still have their voices, will be looking to take their frustrations out on somebody....anybody. The Crusaders will do.

WVU's press is not running at full octane at the moment but will still likely give Valpo fits at times. Valpo's inside game should be non existent unless Konate gets in foul trouble.

Valpo will have to shoot the lights out to win this one.

RS

first half and so far decent start. At least refs seem to be pretty fair

valpopal

Quote from: RS on November 24, 2018, 01:34:42 PM
first half and so far decent start. At least refs seem to be pretty fair

...except for the phantom foul call on Freeman.