• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel

Started by tiny707, December 21, 2018, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: wh on November 21, 2021, 06:13:53 PM
Quote from: Chairback on November 21, 2021, 04:33:52 PM
It would be good if we could get Ryan or Alec involved in the program when they finish their playing career. 

I remember posting the same sentiment about Ryan a few years ago, and Koala either liked the post or said something affirmative (can't recall which). He was playing in Europe at the time. Also, isn't his wife American?

Yes, and a Valpo grad.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

Indiana Wesleyan ranked #11 in the country.

usc4valpo

Be careful hiring within the Valpo "family". We need a fresh start. Then again, he may be a cheap hire.

tjjvalpo

Tonagel is one of the winniest D2 coaches in the last decade or longer. Indiana State is doing quite well with former D2 coach. Tonagel's coaching philosophy is in line with Drew's. And I don't know, Bryce and Scott seem to be doing quite well.

VULB#62

Quote from: tjjvalpo on January 10, 2023, 10:20:36 PM
Tonagel is one of the winniest D2 coaches in the last decade or longer. Indiana State is doing quite well with former D2 coach. Tonagel's coaching philosophy is in line with Drew's. And I don't know, Bryce and Scott seem to be doing quite well.

Just to be clear.  IWU is not NCAA D-II. IWU is NAIA. But I agree with your followup, TJJ.

Both D-II and NAIA designations involve recruiting full ride scholarship players. So the mechanics are the same. The difference, of course, is degree.  But be mindful, Greg was an NCAA D-I starter as a player and a D-I coach. He knows the D-I landscape.

But creating a legendary coaching career at a NAIA multiple national champion doesn't suddenly lessen Greg' coaching skills nor his grasp of the game.  It's still 5 athletes v. 5 athletes, a ball and two baskets.  His record is impeccable. Especially coming out of Valpo (he was on the the VU coaching staff as merely the DBO) and turning a consistently losing IWU program around in just his first year. 

usc4valpo

All I'm saying is be careful hiring within the family. Also, a big part is recruiting and dealing with NIL and transfers.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 11, 2023, 05:50:02 AM
All I'm saying is be careful hiring within the family. Also, a big part is recruiting and dealing with NIL and transfers.

I hear ya, SC   :)

And all I am saying is you don't close your eyes just because a candidate happens to have a Valpo degree. A person at least deserves to be high on a candidate short list with the following qualifications regardless of level of collegiate coaching and alma mater:

HEAD coaching experience (to date) - 18 seasons
Winning seasons -  17;  Losing seasons - 0
Overall coaching record to date - 491- 120
Winning percentage to date - 80.3%
National Championships - 3
#1 Final National Polls - 4
Conference championships - 12
All Americans - 24

About the 22-23 campaign:  13-4 record to date. Have beaten the #4, #5, #22 and #25 ranked teams in NAIA.  Tonagel projects to surpass 500 career wins this season at the ripe old age of 45 (I believe). IWU just announced landing a Liberty University (FCS) transfer with 3 years of eligibility.  Currently ranked #7 in the country.

I can't emphasize enough the value of successful head coaching experience. Then add youthful enthusiasm if you are lucky. Not gonna find many of those kind of guys walking around. We learned very quickly that we can't have a new HC learn on-the-job what it's like to be a HC.  Unless an assistant has had a diverse and rising career associated with winning programs at the D-I level (yes, here D-I is crucial), we also need to beware. 

tiny707

Could Greg's current NAIA team beat Matt's current MVC Division I team?

justducky

Quote from: tiny707 on January 11, 2023, 11:12:55 AM

I would love to match them up with the winner getting to finish the season with their team of choice. Unfortunately Greg might win and still leave us with Matt in charge!

vu84v2

I understand the concerns about Greg Tonagel being within the family, but look at this from a different perspective - should he be considered if he were not part of the Valpo family? Given his success and ability to build a strong and sustainable system, I would say that he should be considered.

I met Greg Tonagel once when he was on Valpo's staff (chef introduced me). It was a long time ago, but it was a very interesting and insightful discussion. Greg was very candid about how some Valpo players (one specifically) were unable to reach their potential because they lacked effort. My guess is that this candidness and direct approach to addressing issues is part of his DNA and makes him a darn good coach - and that this could foster the change needed at Valpo.

However, I see two possible things that could prevent him for getting the coaching job at Valpo (as I tread towards the third rail)
1. Valpo may place a high priority on hiring a minority as coach. I am all for hiring the right coach, regardless of race or ethnicity, but a lot of recent hires (AD, VP of Admissions) are from racial/ethnic minority groups. Couple this with Valpo's stated strategic goal of being certified as a Hispanic Serving Institution - which requires that 25% of the student body be Hispanic. While diversity is very important, it is unclear how Valpo is weighing diversity and the demonstrated ability to meet job requirements in hiring decisions.
2. Evangelism. From what I have seen in prior posts over the last few years, Greg believes strongly that he should vigorously evangelize about his faith in all aspects of his life - including as a coach. He would need to find a compromise approach at Valpo - if that is possible - that respects people of all faiths (or no faith). The Drews were (and are) certainly very strong in their faith - but I also believe they found a compromise that was highly professional - so that model would seem to work well. Indeed, I know that some of Valpo's best players did not share the Drew's religious beliefs and, to my knowledge, there was never an issue.

VULB#62

Quote from: tiny707 on January 11, 2023, 11:12:55 AM

No idea. But could Cedarville almost beat Valpo?

Some things to think about. Here's the IWU top players

MAXWELL, 7'0 Center (Grad) - 15.9 p/p/g, 27.1 min/g, 100 RB, 30 ASST
BUCHANAN, 6'7" FWD (Fr) - 13.5 p/p/g, 24.7 min/g, 68 RB, 10 ASST
KLIEWER, 6'3" G (Soph) - 12.3 p/p/g, 31.1 min/g, 83 RB, 39 ASST
PIERCEFIELD, 6'0" G (Sr) - 11.7 p/p/g, 31.2 min/g, 40 RB, 58 ASST
SMITH, 6'0"" G (Sr) - 11.3 p/p/g, 31.1 min/g, 91 RB, 57 ASST

See anything interesting?  How about........ All five score in double figures. Playing time pretty spread out. Two of top three rebounders are guards.  All five have double digit assist totals. 

TEAM:
Scoring - 81.1 ppg v. 67.3
Total FG% - 49.3%
3Pt % - 38.9%
FT% - 73.9%
Assts - 16.1 pg
Asst/TO ratio - 1.3

How might all that translate to a competitive game against the current Valpo crew?  To my very untrained eye, I see unselfish, coordinated play. I figure there must be a system in place to get  players open for good shots.  And they make their shots and FTs.

usc4valpo

vu84v2 - I am starting to buy into Tonagel - but, in the today's Valpo wokeness, Tonagel may not want to coach there because of his beliefs.

VULB#62

SC, you're right, that's the big question. Not because of the obvious competitive challenge, but the environment he'd be entering.

vu84v2

While I have concerns about wokeness, I do not believe this is a wokeness issue since it would be no different 5, 10 or 20 years ago. Any person is fully entitled to pursue their religious beliefs, and if that includes evangelizing and trying to convert others on their personal time - fine. But in a professional workplace setting you need to respect that others in your workplace have different beliefs and that they are equally entitled to their beliefs. At Valpo, this applies to fellow workers, students, players, etc. Additionally, in a professional workplace you need to recognize your role in representing the organization and that you do not get to state that your faith is somehow the organization's faith.

usc4valpo

vu84v2 - totally agree. I'm still mad and embarrassed by those stupid dog mascots.

mj

The more I think about it, the more I'd like Valpo to take a good look at Tonagel. I think having a system and a coaching identity is important, which is what Tonagel would bring to the table.

Give him a 3 year deal and see what happens. Our program is at rock bottom so we can afford to take a risk.
I believe that we will win.

David81

Guys, I'm just gonna say, if you think VU has somehow lapsed into a state of wokeness because of decisions like the mascot and a few other things that point the diversity meter in that direction, then I will gently but firmly assert that you ain't seen wokeness. I'm not questioning your right to disagree with these decisions and leanings, but I am suggesting that placed on a spectrum against the backdrop of higher ed generally, VU's center of gravity remains solidly traditional.

As I've noted elsewhere on this board, this presents both opportunity and challenge for Valpo. It is neither woke nor evangelical, but rather operates within more of a mainstream that sadly can get drowned out and overlooked amidst the extremes. But it's in that balance that VU offers something worthwhile for students who seek a blend of familiar comfort and healthy discomfort.

So how does this relate to a potential Coach Tonagel hire at VU? Others have said it: He may well have to be willing to adjust, in terms of how he practices his faith and values on an everyday basis. I may be making unwarranted assumptions, but it appears that his present school is a great fit for his worldview, to the point where it may be a bit of a bubble. There's nothing wrong with that. I know other folks with very woke views who struggle being outside of their bubbles. If one cannot engage a wider community without significant discomfort, then maybe it's best to stay in a bubble.

On the coaching merits, I agree with VULB#62 and others that Tonagel is an intriguing candidate. This guy knows how to build and coach a winning basketball team. How that translates into a move from NAIA to mid-major D1 we don't know, which is why I'd call this a higher risk/higher reward hire were it to come to fruition. And while some might tag it an inside the family hire, I think it would be a much bolder choice than selecting a more standard-brand pick, such as an assistant coach at a major program who appears ready for his first head coaching job.

usc4valpo

I think an interview at a minimum should be in the works. I still think the mascots suck.

Just Sayin

Quote from: David81 on January 12, 2023, 11:13:15 AM
Guys, I'm just gonna say, if you think VU has somehow lapsed into a state of wokeness because of decisions like the mascot and a few other things that point the diversity meter in that direction, then I will gently but firmly assert that you ain't seen wokeness. I'm not questioning your right to disagree with these decisions and leanings, but I am suggesting that placed on a spectrum against the backdrop of higher ed generally, VU's center of gravity remains solidly traditional.

As I've noted elsewhere on this board, this presents both opportunity and challenge for Valpo. It is neither woke nor evangelical, but rather operates within more of a mainstream that sadly can get drowned out and overlooked amidst the extremes. But it's in that balance that VU offers something worthwhile for students who seek a blend of familiar comfort and healthy discomfort.

So how does this relate to a potential Coach Tonagel hire at VU? Others have said it: He may well have to be willing to adjust, in terms of how he practices his faith and values on an everyday basis. I may be making unwarranted assumptions, but it appears that his present school is a great fit for his worldview, to the point where it may be a bit of a bubble. There's nothing wrong with that. I know other folks with very woke views who struggle being outside of their bubbles. If one cannot engage a wider community without significant discomfort, then maybe it's best to stay in a bubble.

On the coaching merits, I agree with VULB#62 and others that Tonagel is an intriguing candidate. This guy knows how to build and coach a winning basketball team. How that translates into a move from NAIA to mid-major D1 we don't know, which is why I'd call this a higher risk/higher reward hire were it to come to fruition. And while some might tag it an inside the family hire, I think it would be a much bolder choice than selecting a more standard-brand pick, such as an assistant coach at a major program who appears ready for his first head coaching job.

The extremes of the past have morphed into the mainstream of the present. Kinda like the frog sitting in a pot of cold water while the heat is slowly rising and the frog is unaware of his impending doom.

NativeCheesehead

What concerns me about Greg is that it's been 7 years since the job opened up and yet he's chosen to stay exactly where he is while the demands of a DI job have gotten infinitely more complicated with the explosion of the portal and NIL.

beacons23

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 12, 2023, 12:02:54 PM
I think an interview at a minimum should be in the works. I still think the mascots suck.

if this guy tonagel was so good why hasn't he been picked up by another d1 team?
Obviously he isnt d1 level
Some think only Valpo guys can/ coach...so short sighted

AB

Some people are comfortable with their lot in life. Hard to be unhappy with winning every year in addition to the titles. Probably has total control and a supportive admin. Plenty of examples of coaches that had success at lower levels and worked way up to continue success. Bo Ryan, Bruce Pearl etc..

David81

Quote from: beacons23 on January 12, 2023, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on January 12, 2023, 12:02:54 PM

if this guy tonagel was so good why hasn't he been picked up by another d1 team?
Obviously he isnt d1 level
Some think only Valpo guys can/ coach...so short sighted

Well, how many times do D1 teams pick their new head coaches from NAIA?

I'll defer to hoops followers much more knowledgeable than me to determine whether Tonagel is a viable D1 coaching candidate.

But at this point I'd automatically dismiss no one who has shown the ability to win at the collegiate level. While an NAIA coach would be a reach, the guy who brought VU into its modern era of D! basketball had a similar background. Maybe lightning doesn't strike twice, but I agree with those who say that someone like Tonagel at least merits an initial interview.

valpo64

I seem to remember that when ML was hired, Tonagel said he would only be interested in the Valpo head coach job on the D-1 level.  I seem to also remember that he was "snubbed" as far as interviewing was concerned, in fact, maybe he was not even interviewed.  Perhaps someone remembers more details surrounding Matt's hiring as H C.

Paul Oren's recent article on coaches firing, etc. was one of great insight, sensitivity, and a mature look at the hiring and firing of coaches.  Some of the posters on this blog could use some of Paul's classy approach to the head coaching position assessment and personal comments pertaining to Matt Lottich.

Great article, Paul.

usc4valpo

64 - I get where you are coming from, and we disagree at times, but this program is a complete mess and change is ALWAYS difficult. A dismissal is never smooth or a Hallmark moment, whether it is in sport or business. We are also talking about employees in volatile positions making great income.