• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Greg Tonagel

Started by tiny707, December 21, 2018, 08:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 12, 2023, 12:02:54 PM
I think an interview at a minimum should be in the works. I still think the mascots suck.

He's absolutely worth interviewing. He's very well-regarded throughout the state of Indiana's high school ranks, too, and that's certainly an area where Valparaiso could do a better job. His success at Indiana Wesleyan has been impressive. He's recruited incredibly well, both with high school and transfer players. How does that translate to the MVC? I have no idea. It's a much higher level of basketball, and it's not as free flowing of a pace as the Crossroads League is, but he's worth a conversation.

Valpo89

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 13, 2023, 10:11:37 AM
64 - I get where you are coming from, and we disagree at times, but this program is a complete mess and change is ALWAYS difficult. A dismissal is never smooth or a Hallmark moment, whether it is in sport or business. We are also talking about employees in volatile positions making great income.

Yes, it sucks to lose your job. But when you are someone who has made a substantial income the last few years ... you would think he has saved a lot. He and his family will be fine, and he will bounce back somewhere else.
As for Tonagel, I have heard that he has used "Dream Job" to describe his interest in becoming Valparaiso head coach. He isn't the type to just jump from job to job. He has a lot of kids, and while they have roots in Marion, Valpo would be his ideal destination job. His brother and family live in Valpo, so that would be another positive.

VULB#62

To add to 89's comment below, and this may be quite a stretch.  But another factor in Greg's faith is that of witnessing. Could it be, that in his mind and accounting for his lack of ladder climbing, is that Valpo is one of only a very few places (IWU being another) where he could be comfortable practicing his beliefs and witnessing the way he wants?  And what better way for him to witness than turning around this moribund program the same way he did IWU?

AFTERTHOUGHT ADDENDUM
I'm not talking proselytizing or revivals at center court.  Just a guy with known devout beliefs who, by his actions, performance and results, displays to the world that he is also a very good coach, one who will represent the university in the best of lights.

Now, the Valpo he graduated from years ago is a different Valpo today. Even if offered a crack at the challenge, he might realize it's not what he expected and say no thanks. Valpo may call him in and during the interview process realize that there isn't a fit.

But the only way either party will find out is when they talk.

valpo64

usc I agree the program is a mess and that something has to change.  My remark is directed at those who take the "low" road in comments concerning Coach Lottich.  I believe it is called "respect" for others.  Again, Paul's comments were right on the money.

usc4valpo

64 - total respect to you.

VULB#62

Latest Numbers

15 - overall wins

4 - overall losses

9 - conference wins

0 - conference losses

7 - current national rank

usc4valpo

Would Tonegal have to take a pay cut from IWU? I'm serious here.

usc4valpo

If Tonegal is a candidate, we'll this guy is far better.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2023, 10:57:02 AM
Would Tonegal have to take a pay cut from IWU? I'm serious here.

Don't know for sure. Very little info out there on coaching salaries at IWU. I did see one article a week or so ago, but couldn't get back to it today, that mentioned coaching salaries in the mid $60s, but that seems too low for the HBB coach. My guess is that $350K (About what Matt makes now) would be a bump up. How big a bump?  IDK.

NotBryceDrew

Ben McCollum would be a great choice

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2023, 10:59:30 AM
If Tonegal is a candidate, we'll this guy is far better.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_McCollum

Both great possible candidates. Both have coached at only one school. Both come with the same critique about them: "Well, if he is so good why isn't he at a D-I program?"

Is McCollum FAR better?  Here's the tale of the tape. You be the judge.

McCollum             Tonagel
Years as HC           14                       17
Record                344-84                 478-118
Win %.                  80.5%.                 79.5%
Losing seasons         2                         0
Conference titles      10                      12
National titles            4                        3

usc4valpo

McCullum is a far better coach. His team right now would destroy Valpo. And for once we hire outside of the family, which hasn't been done in awhile

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2023, 01:27:06 PM
McCullum is a far better coach. His team right now would destroy Valpo.

Can't argue with those facts.

vu84v2

Valpo could do a lot worse than having a subset of members from this forum serve on a search committee for a new coach.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 15, 2023, 03:43:43 PM
Valpo could do a lot worse than having a subset of members from this forum serve on a search committee for a new coach.

Actually, I can picture several loyal and knowledgeable VU alums on this board adding value to such a committee, beginning with '72 and '62 and many others.

usc4valpo

I would willing to contribute as long as we have 6 packs of Lagunitas to brainstorm.

Dr. T

If Tonagel became the new Valparaiso University MBB Head Coach, I'd renew my season tickets immediately.

valpo64

In reference to my earlier posting in this thread,  Tonagel's name was mentioned when Lottich was hired.  Perhaps Paul Oren recalls the details regarding his situation and could enlighten us on the circumstances that were mentioned in the process.  My recollection is that Tonagel said he would only take the Head Coaching position at Valpo with respect to any D-1 job.  Am I close, Paul?

usc4valpo

NAIA Div 2 to D1 is tougher than NCAA Div. 2 to D1. I go with McCullum at NW Mo. St. and get a fresh perspective.

vu72

If and when Valpo enters into a national search, we all might be very surprised by not only the number of interested candidates, but also the conferences represented by said candidates.  Witness the candidate pool for Coach Foxes job. Mark said that he had people from  Big 5 conferences and a hundred applications.  I think some of you have lost perspective on Valpo's national reputation.  Yes, the facilities aren't the very good (and I'm certainly all for a new arena) but players play, they aren't enjoying the private boxes or the extra bathrooms.  If facilities won championships, Nebraska would be a perennial power.  Take a look and tell me there are better ones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyAsWFF0Fw

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2023, 04:50:26 PM
Take a look and tell me there are better ones out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyAsWFF0Fw

If you check out the two kids conducting the tour it's obvious what they forgot. Despite each having overdeveloped thumbs from gaming and loading music onto all the electronics, including the smart TV in the toilet, they have scrawny muscle mass. Where was the dedicated basketball weight room with pearl handled dumbbells and bars? 🤪

Two words for all of that, Russ.  OSTENTATIOUSLY OBSCENE.

Ya know what's more obscene? 

Their record the last three years — 24 wins and 67 losses (9-50 B1G).  Six, only six (6) winning seasons since 2000.

Didja make your point?  Here's one affirmative vote 😁

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 15, 2023, 03:43:43 PM
I had to chuckle at this until I realized you might be serious.  People are catching grief for our mascots, just wait until they find out message board people are helping with coach selection!

valpolaw

Given how the mascot selection, change from crusader to beacons, and keeping Lottich long past time has all gone, I'd be willing to bet this message board could collectively make better decisions

tiny707

tiny707

Lands IU transfer....