• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew...

Started by HutchJones, January 30, 2019, 05:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Valpo is SO Out OF THIS LEAGUUE  that it is embarrassing. Our facility is #10 in the conference and there is no plan in place  to immediately correct that.  Does anyone think we could match what Loyola is doing to keep Moser?  Our foreign signings tell me that we realize that we are not competitive in the US48 and we must go other places. What publicly, visual things has Valpo demonstrated that substantially reflects that  Valpo is ALL IN in the MVC?  I hear .............a few crickets. And that's about it.

usc4valpo

62-  as said previously, this problem with Valpo basketball goes beyond Lottich - the support from the higher ups is just not there.

M

Roger Powell to Gonzaga  8-)

JD24

Quote from: M on April 18, 2019, 10:26:01 AMRoger Powell to Gonzaga  8-)
Trying to figure out the connection between either Powell and Few or Powell and the school. Not that it is always the case, but hires such as this tend to source in familiarity and it is not evident (at least to me) that it's there in this case. Vandy was terrible this year so it doesn't appear to be a case of "wow....let's get their assistants now!" type of situation.

Anyone have any further color on the situation?

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on April 18, 2019, 11:08:39 AM
Quote from: M on April 18, 2019, 10:26:01 AMRoger Powell to Gonzaga  8-)
Trying to figure out the connection between either Powell and Few or Powell and the school. Not that it is always the case, but hires such as this tend to source in familiarity and it is not evident (at least to me) that it's there in this case. Vandy was terrible this year so it doesn't appear to be a case of "wow....let's get their assistants now!" type of situation.

Anyone have any further color on the situation?

I sure couldn't find anything either.  Nice that the picture of Powell used in the announcement was from his days at Valpo!

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2019/apr/17/gonzaga-expected-to-hire-roger-powell-jr-to-replac/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

I also think the assistants scattering to the winds is further proof to the belief that Bryce takes a year off. Although probably any position he takes would also be a step down for the assistants would be my guess.

FWalum

Wonder what Powell was making and what kind of contract he had. Is it possible that he might also get a little something from Vanderbilt?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on April 18, 2019, 04:00:27 PM
Wonder what Powell was making and what kind of contract he had. Is it possible that he might also get a little something from Vanderbilt?

I don't think it's typical that assistannce get "severance" when the HC gets fire but he was the associate HC or top assistant on that staff so maybe. He might be taking a pay cut to coach with the Zags but it's certainly probably a "resume booster".

bbtds

Good article. It paints a much rosier future for Bryce than I had in mind. The eyebrows raised by Rick Barnes & Tom Cream show the new administrators at Vanderbilt as shadowy figures who didn't really give Bryce any chance at all.

bbtds

Just Sayin

Recent interview in Nashville Bryce said he's been visiting both ncaa and nba teams looking for some opportunities. Also has been looking into broadcasting.  Being selective as he wants to hone his craft as a coach and make sure there is a mutually good fit. First love is college basketball. 

valpotx

It's too bad, as a program like Vandy is his long-term fit.  He just needed an extra 4-5 years of HC experience, before making that jump to the SEC. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

antwaundomenic

His team may have bigger egos and need more wrangling than Valpo players ever did and he may not quite have the skills to do it. I've also heard he is a micro manager which we ironically at Valpo could be seeing an issue with as Lottich may not have gotten the full level of mentoring he should have under Drew. He seems to look for asst coaches who can recruit first and want to handle the play stuff himself.
I must be the only one who thought that Moser to St. John's made little sense from the coach's perspective unless his pay raise was substantial enough to warrant it.

VU2014

Is Paul being serious or just making a lighthearted comment? I tend to think the latter. I know Bryce was planning on doing some TV work this upcoming season, but I thought it was more on a national stage.

Could Bryce actually be the color guy for a Valpo game or two with Todd?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1153112830243033088

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on July 21, 2019, 08:35:19 PM
Is Paul being serious or just making a lighthearted comment? I tend to think the latter. I know Bryce was planning on doing some TV work this upcoming season, but I thought it was more on a national stage.

Could Bryce actually be the color guy for a Valpo game or two with Todd?

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1153112830243033088

Not to be rude, but Bryce is not a good public speaker.  Ummm, maybe we just saw him in the wrong tv segments 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Pgmado

usc4valpo

Perhaps Bryce has been attending Toastmasters...

MarchArchPod

If we could get him on the call of MVC ESPN3 games, this could be fun, just because Bryce is Valpo and would be a solid add to the broadcasts.

oklahomamick

Besides Roger going to Gonzaga, where did the rest of his staff land?
CRUSADERS!!!

EddieCabot

Quote from: oklahomamick on September 02, 2019, 07:33:55 PM
Besides Roger going to Gonzaga, where did the rest of his staff land?

Jake Diebler is an assistant at OSU.  Casey Shaw is the basketball coach at Davidson Academy, the school his kids attend.

vusupporter

Luke Simons is the DOBO at College of Charleston.