• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HELP!

Started by valpomarketingguy, October 05, 2011, 04:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpomarketingguy

We are working on a project for the men's basketball team and could use the help of those of you on this board who have been longtime supporters of the program and know Valpo Basketball well.  I am looking for you to suggest words, emotions, and/or adjectives that come to mind when you think of Valpo Basketball.  Feel free to create a list and post.  Any and all help is much appreciated!

setshot

valpomarketingguy

Somehow I figured you'd be the first to comment...  Not what we were looking for but thanks for your input.  It seems that you and Merriam-Webster have different definitions of the term.

wh

Quote from: valpomarketingguy on October 05, 2011, 07:26:47 PM
Somehow I figured you'd be the first to comment...  Not what we were looking for but thanks for your input.  It seems that you and Merriam-Webster have different definitions of the term.

Nepotism (from businessdictionary.com)

Practice of appointing relatives and friends in one's organization to positions for which outsiders might be better qualified. Despite its negative connotations, nepotism (if applied sensibly) is an important and positive practice in the startup and formative years of a firm where complete trust and willingness to work hard (for little or no immediate reward) are critical for its survival.

I doubt that even jj would suggest that Valpo could have recruited someone who would have been a better fit than Bryce to serve as our new coach.  He would be a great get for any Mid Major program.  My only concern about Bryce is losing him to a bigger program a few years from now.

setshot

THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY defines nepotism as:" favorism shown or patronage granted by persons in high office to relatives or close friends." It fits.

vuweathernerd

valpo84

Family

Determined

Little Engine That Could
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

Tradition

Homer
Bryce

Homer Drew
Bryce Drew

The Shot

Pride

(Valpo Pride?  Crusader Pride? No.. not Crusader Pride, exactly)

Roll out the Barrel; the beer barrel polka

Positive (as in Homer's relentless upbeat, positive approach)
Optimism

Excitement
Down-to-the-wire
Buzzer beater
Fun
Intensity

Rivalry
Beat Butler (is that a rivalry yet?)

Sweet Sixteen

bg321

I know I don't fit the profile of a person from whom you're looking for suggestions, but I thought I'd contribute some anyway...

Up and coming
Energy (energized)
Rising
Next level
New era
Exciting
Bright
Upbeat
Team together

Life Is Good

valpofan56

agibson

Quote from: bg321 on October 06, 2011, 07:10:17 PM
I know I don't fit the profile of a person from whom you're looking for suggestions, but I thought I'd contribute some anyway...

Up and coming
New era

Ooh - I like the focus on the new coach, and new players!

New Dawn?
Something New?

Or, we could go all Isaiah on them,
"I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?"
(Isaiah 43:19, NRSV)

Or, take the NIV,
"See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?"

historyman

BACKED BY TRADITION DRIVEN BY RESULTS

I saw this company's slogan and think it fits the Valpo MBB program well

From the halls of Old Hilltop to the slats of the ARC floorboardies
They will fight their team's battles
and they will even beat ND

vuweathernerd

Quote from: historyman on October 07, 2011, 01:26:13 AM
BACKED BY TRADITION DRIVEN BY RESULTS

I saw this company's slogan and think it fits the Valpo MBB program well

From the halls of Old Hilltop to the slats of the ARC floorboardies
They will fight their team's battles
and they will even beat ND

sung to the tune of the marine hymn? i like it. and the tagline's solid too.

valpopal

When at their best over the years, the team has often displayed the following qualities: Character, Commitment, Competitiveness, Concentration, Cohesiveness, Tirelessness, Tenacity, and Trust in Teammates

StlVUFan

Quote from: setshot on October 05, 2011, 08:19:28 PM
THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY defines nepotism as:" favorism shown or patronage granted by persons in high office to relatives or close friends." It fits.

I doubt it uses the non-word "favorism".

setshot

How about the "fowl shooters." :banghead:

walldozer

The Sweetest Thing

I know this is not exacty what you are looking for, but I always loved being called the Yankees of the Mid Con