• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2019, 05:11:17 PM
Micah is showing some hops. Looking healthy again.

https://twitter.com/dreadedupG/status/1109940011577851905

Not that Micah is staying, but does he have two years eligibility left? One for certain and I'd expect medical if he applies would be two.

crusader05

I believe two. I'd though Micah would transfer but now I could see him reevaluating and thinking his opportunity at Valpo has increased while the risk of transferring (lower stats last year, big injury this year) could lead to lower levels of interest and less playing time.

VUBBFan

Quote from: crusader05 on March 24, 2019, 05:24:39 PMI believe two. I'd though Micah would transfer but now I could see him reevaluating and thinking his opportunity at Valpo has increased while the risk of transferring (lower stats last year, big injury this year) could lead to lower levels of interest and less playing time.

Thought the same thing about him transferring. Now as long as they don't fill the empty transfer spots with 3 or 4 point guards, I have a feeling he may stay.

chairback

Does everyone remember his first 2 years?  He needs to move on.  Sitting out a year didn't make him better.

justducky

Quote from: chairback on March 24, 2019, 07:27:23 PM
Does everyone remember his first 2 years?  He needs to move on.  Sitting out a year didn't make him better.

Please---First Eddie Cabot makes fun of him and now you. Why?

Nobody on this board believes or believed Micah to be a program changer. He was, and would only have been a piece to the puzzle. Forget his freshman year entirely then focus only on his Feb and March 2018 results. That player would have helped with 2 maybe 3 additional wins over High Point, MSU and ISU-b. That alone could have been a significant deterrent to the team mass exodus.   :'(

A full strength Micah does not scare me and would earn and deserve a scholarship. I am more scared that an 85% Micah returns and fails to contribute. Matt or his replacement has a difficult call to make and it needs to be made soon. Standing with an immobile Micah will do no good for either him or the program.

chairback

Undersized and couldn't shoot from 3 or from the free throw line.  He got pushed around with lack of size and strength.  Also doesn't take playing in a program serious with the weed.  Like it or not it's a rule and effects team.   

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2019, 08:54:44 PM
Quote from: chairback on March 24, 2019, 07:27:23 PM

Please---First Eddie Cabot makes fun of him and now you. Why?

Nobody on this board believes or believed Micah to be a program changer. He was, and would only have been a piece to the puzzle. Forget his freshman year entirely then focus only on his Feb and March 2018 results. That player would have helped with 2 maybe 3 additional wins over High Point, MSU and ISU-b. That alone could have been a significant deterrent to the team mass exodus.   :'(

A full strength Micah does not scare me and would earn and deserve a scholarship. I am more scared that an 85% Micah returns and fails to contribute. Matt or his replacement has a difficult call to make and it needs to be made soon. Standing with an immobile Micah will do no good for either him or the program.

Micah is no Lexus Williams but let's give him a chance before we go sending a talented player to Boise State or wherever again.

VU2014

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on March 25, 2019, 09:35:28 PM
https://twitter.com/OneZeroSports/status/1110366983399329794

We're seen as a mess...

https://twitter.com/OneZeroSports/status/1110369704319827969

In case you don't know who the author of this hit piece is, it's none other than our old nemesis  Tom Davis, former Ft. Wayne News-Sentinel sports reporter (until he was fired) and Butler alum (and athletic department suck ass). This article keeps intact his record of never having written a positive story about the Crusaders.

VUGrad1314

What's unfair about the article? It's impossible to spin losing four of your top 5 scorers positively and this is a must win year. Would it have been better if he had mentioned the injuries more? I'm really trying to understand what is so objectionable here.

valpolaw

Didn't Micah already have numerous opportunities to prove himself? I recall him being a starter at one point and many people being disappointed with his play. He's been out for his injury and I can't  imagine much has changed.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteWhat's unfair about the article? It's impossible to spin losing four of your top 5 scorers positively and this is a must win year. Would it have been better if he had mentioned the injuries more? I'm really trying to understand what is so objectionable here.

When you've spun every story about VU negatively over the years because of your longstanding audition to be the Butler SID, you're not gonna get applause for a "blind squirrel/nut" moment where you're suddenly being Captain Obvious.

valpo64

Why waste time reading Tom Davis' comments about Valpo basketball.  He is the "expert" on Butler b-ball, just ask him?  I wonder why he has not posted any comments about his Bulldog team.  His continuing negative comments about VU' program isn't worth the the effort to read.   While he is a BU grad, I'm not sure how much he really knows about what is going on at Butler.  It would be interesting to hear his comments about the current situation there.

vu72

He barely mentioned that our two best players (Robinson and Gordon) were ineligible and that our best shooter was out for half the season.  Matt will add some very good players not to mention Donovon Clay.  But still, the sky is falling...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo2013

Dudes have not seen the floor and you call them our best players?
Get a grip man
Freeman was our best player
Golder at one point was up there also

FWalum

I have been one of Tom's harshest critiques.  I agree that he seems to have a penchant for writing articles that are not flattering to the VU basketball program and I have been very vocal about his one-sided/negative portrayal related to VU.  I recently (at a PFW game) talked to Tom about the change in Fort Wayne's newspaper scene with the News-Sentinel stopping paper publishing and firing virtually its entire staff in favor of a digital publishing model.  He moved to Florida as the Editor of the Palatka Daily News but quickly decided to return to Indiana and start his own sports media company, One Zero Sports. I actually think he is doing a much better job covering Northern Indiana sports now than perhaps he did in the past.  It does seem rather strange that he seems to only choose to write about VU when he feels the chips are down. However, I think his coverage has increased dramatically and his writings about the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons has been greatly improved. Now that he has his own business it appears that he recognizes it is now in his best interest to promote increased viewership and attendance to the games and teams he is writing about. In the past he had always given me the attitude that it was not his job to promote things like Mastodon basketball. My, how having your own business can change your perspective!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: Valpo2013 on March 26, 2019, 02:00:05 PM
Get a grip man

I think most of us understand what vu72 was intimating.  Gordon is certainly in the top 10 most highly rated players to ever be on the VUMBB team and Robinson has proven himself on a P6 conference team. 

Yes, I know that ratings and past performance don't mean a thing.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 25, 2019, 10:28:32 PMWhat's unfair about the article? It's impossible to spin losing four of your top 5 scorers positively and this is a must win year. Would it have been better if he had mentioned the injuries more? I'm really trying to understand what is so objectionable here.

Nothing really, this is rather tame for Tom. I would just like to have him write one nice article about VU, but I guess that will have to wait.

vu72

Quote from: Valpo2013 on March 26, 2019, 02:00:05 PM
Get a grip man

How about you end your love affair with Freeman and wait and see if what I said is correct.  Golder?  Come on.  He was a nice player who thought ever fast break had to be his highlight reel. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

truth219

I read the article...pretty much says the transfers are just a sign of the times. He says our record and product on the court is poor but ML does everything else right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

wh

A real probing interview by Osipoff. He asked pointed, highly relevant questions, and followed up until he got the substance he was looking for. I can't think of a question I wish he would have asked that he didn't. SiMilarly, MLB seemed was open to talking about anything and everything MO brought up. How could anyone ask for more than that?  Well done, MO and MLB.

Valpo2013

Finally a reporter that asks questions that are relevant and timely as well as tough....not those softballs that some ask
Thanks for this

NativeCheesehead

Good interview. Excellent questions.

Goes back to a point I made before. I don't have any problem at all with MLB sticking with his hire. If he truly believes Matt is the right guy for the program then kudos to him for sticking with him. And I truly hope those of us (myself included) who don't believe Matt is the guy have to eat our words in the next two years.

But if he's wrong, he goes when Lottich goes.