• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman is transferring...(Bakari as well)

Started by AlecPeters101, March 19, 2019, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

I have a few contrarian thoughts.

Javon clearly has P6 starter ability next year.  In that light I don't find his comment that damning of VU and ML He and his family know that even a great run by VU next year would not bring him the daily tests and growth he would get in the big 10 or other P6.

Smits is an enigma who doesn't fit easily into the flow.  Maybe playing more bigs gives him a reality check to man up or just hang it up.  But he did surprise me by leaving

Bakari had a really frustrating year and may not have been charmed by the message board either.  So he and Javon were the ones I would have guessed might leave.

I an not excited about ML either but I am not sure the three are indictments of him.  Either way this anger vs ML  is over the top.  MLB should  talk to Lavender a vet who saw it and is freed to speak now.

humbleopinion

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2019, 08:16:10 PMI an not excited about ML either but I am not sure the three are indictments of him.  Either way this anger vs ML  is over the top.  MLB should  talk to Lavender a vet who saw it and is freed to speak now.

The Lavender family was important for landing Clay as a recruit.  I would think that Deion would have positive things to say.
Beamin' Beacons

valpolaw

When I read the title to this thread, I honestly thought it was a joke at first. Then I clicked it to realize that it was actually serious and Lottich has turned this into a joke. He needs to go.

VUGrad1314

"He just wants to win games." Ouch.

"Anytime a player transfers you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself what happened."

Since by the grace of our parsimony he's been given another year will he do the reflection necessary to make it count and turn things around? We'll see. For everyone's sake we can only hope.

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 20, 2019, 09:34:16 PM
Northwestern targeting Freeman

https://www.insidenu.com/2019/3/20/18274914/northwestern-targeting-freshman-transfer-javon-freeman-valparaiso-emanuel-dildy-chris-collins

"On Monday, Northwestern contacted Javon Freeman..."

Such a load of crap. In all likelihood, Dildy has been lurking in the shadows for some time, and it was he who first put a bug in Freeman's ear about transferring to Northwestern. The timing of both Freeman's and NW's announcement is too close together not to have been carefully orchestrated by NW.

As to Freeman, I liked him a lot as a Crusader, but he isn't a Crusader any more.  Yes, he had a very good freshman campaign. At the same time he was given everything any freshman could ask for - starter status, ton of minutes, a ton of opps to showcase and develop his skills, recognition, accolades, honors, etc., yet he left anyway. We're in his rear view mirror. He's now in mine.

Article on tampering in college basketball

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8157631/ncaa-turns-attention-transfers-eye-penalties-tampering

NativeCheesehead

I'm sure all the contact went through his uncle, keeps it all within the rules. All indications are Marcus is a very positive influence in JFLs life, and as a former blue chipper himself, he knows the ins and outs. But in these situations there is always an air of "reliving my glory days through my son/nephew/ grandson, etc."

a3uge

If he wants to go to a program that wins and makes the tournament, Northwestern is probably a poor choice.

valpolaw

I would hope he plans to transfer somewhere better than northwestern. Northwestern was 13-19, last in the big 10, and it looks like they had their fair share of people jumping ship. Seems like he should be able to do better than that.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on March 21, 2019, 05:58:25 AM
If he wants to go to a program that wins and makes the tournament, Northwestern is probably a poor choice.

Other than Dildy connection, I believe proximity to Chicago was a reason he chose Valpo.  So I suspect Northwestern is in the game.

I truly think that a player of his caliber (so used to winning) is a tough guy to keep during a downturn. 

For the first time I could be heard (amongst friends) calling for Lottich replacement.  But I truly wonder if this is just the new norm within mid-majors. 

I'm not saying I like it, but stability is a huge towards success for all mid major programs.  I think this new "less consequences" transfer concept is going to pick us clean of home grown talent (Freeman) in favor of P6 transfers with attitude problems (Bakari).

Im concerned but I'll play the wait and see game because I've no other option...

usc4valpo

Collins is an up and coming coach, Northwestern has first class academics and facilities. Perhaps this is a great opportunity and a step up for the young man.

wh

An assistant coach who wants to remain relevant in the D-1 world has to build a reputation as an excellent recruiter. If (and I say if) Dildy has managed to lure Freeman to the Big 10's doormat program (4-16 conference record and headed south from there), he isn't looking out for Freeman's best interest, he's looking out for himself. What could be better than hitting 2 home runs in 2 years with the same player?

I make this point for only one reason. IF Freeman does in fact sign with NW, this is just another sleazy recruiting story where a Major program robs a Mid Major piggy bank to fill their recruiting gaps. It wouldn't have mattered if Valpo finished 9th or 3rd in the MVC, or who the coach is.

vu72

If Bakari's goal is to get to the dance.  Maybe he should have stayed at Nebraska!  Oh wait...Well, at least they put an end to Butler's season.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

QuoteUnderwood & Co. have reached out to a couple other grad transfers as well, including William & Mary transfer wing Justin Pierce and Lehigh transfer forward Pat Andree. The Illini are expected to have interest in Valparaiso transfer wing Javon Freeman too.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/Article/Former-Brad-Underwood-recruit-TJ-Holyfield-to-transfer-from-Stephen-F-Austin-130306096/

crusader05

I think that there is something to say about our ability to hold on to these caliber players.

You think about who Javon was linked to: Bryce and Alec Peters.
Bryce obviously had some pretty strong ties to stay at the team.
Alec was notorious for having a chip on his shoulder about being overlooked and was extremely loyal.

I wonder if, as someone else said, we would have been able to keep Javon even if we did finish where we expected, middle of the pack. He did not seem to have a chip on his shoulder about being over-looked and his uncle is going to encourage him to look at the business side. In the interview it did seem, in Marcus' quote, that he did mention the idea of loyalty to him but it obviously wasn't going to beat out the opportunity to play higher. The reality is Mid-major, even if you do decent, don't often translate into the type of pro careers a player like Javon may have his eye on.

Also,  for Bakari, he's been around, he's got one year left, if he'd rather play low minutes for the experience of getting to the tournament I mean, I get it.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 21, 2019, 07:44:28 AM
Collins is an up and coming coach, Northwestern has first class academics and facilities. Perhaps this is a great opportunity and a step up for the young man.

So Collins finishes 14th in the Big 10 (last)for two years in a row after having a winning record three years ago (sound familiar?) Has a record of 48-48 over the last three years, is playing in a brand new arena and has three guys transfer after the end of the year and he is an "up and coming coach" but Matt needs to go?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on March 19, 2019, 06:48:19 PMLottich had one job to do once it became clear this season was going nowhere -- keep the talent in the program so we have a fighting chance at being an experienced and deep team next year. He failed at that, too. The most promising freshman we've had since Peters took a look at the program and said "nah." Along with two seniors. That's an across-the-board rejection of his leadership of the program and system.

I believe all 3 who transferred and especially Javon could learn to sincerely regret it. Maybe those three were part of why the unselfish team concept at Valpo was not working and those were the players that needed to leave to get that going within the program. You could see Lottich working that way. I do think Matt needs to take more ownership and learn from this experience. We will see that it was probably a bit of both.

mj

Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 12:10:24 PMMaybe those three were part of why the unselfish team concept at Valpo was not working and those were the players that needed to leave to get that going within the program.

This is unbelievably petty. You're going to trash players reputations with unfounded rumors because they decide to leave? Come on.
I believe that we will win.

oklahomamick

You think the HL would have us back...?  That's where we belong.  And we wouldn't even be the big dog anymore in the HL.  Probably middle of the pack.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Some of the comments being made here often sound like some of the disgruntled bunch of Southern Illinois fans following their season-ending loss in the MVC Tourney.  It is not WHAT is being said but HOW it is said.  While many of us are very disappointed in what has transpired over recent days, it is interesting to hear their talk about their concern for the long-term health of our program while their specific comments reflect a 180 degree turn from their comments a year or two ago.  It amazes me what one transfer(J F) has done to this board and comments regarding  Coach L and MLaB.  Remember the pre-season polls and comments on this board about our predicted finish for this past season?  We finished about where everyone predicted we would be.  And that was in spite of all our injuries!  From that standpoint, it would appear, at least on paper, that ML did an acceptable job.  Boy, it sure didn't take long for that to change, did it.  Remember the comments that some were surprised that Javon chose Valpo and congrats were headed in ML's direction for his recruiting prowess?  It just hurts when our program gets hit when we lose a good player to transfer.  After all we have been the recipients of transfers to our program so why are we so surprised when the shoe is on the other foot?  It happens to many schools, from the Power 5's to the MVC.  Should we do what North Dakota State does and recruit the unknown , small town players who often go un-touched by larger schools?  Isn't it easy to be critical while it is so difficult to remember the positive side of people or situations?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on March 21, 2019, 02:21:37 PM
Some of the comments being made here often sound like some of the disgruntled bunch of Southern Illinois fans following their season-ending loss in the MVC Tourney.  It is not WHAT is being said but HOW it is said.  While many of us are very disappointed in what has transpired over recent days, it is interesting to hear their talk about their concern for the long-term health of our program while their specific comments reflect a 180 degree turn from their comments a year or two ago.  It amazes me what one transfer(J F) has done to this board and comments regarding  Coach L and MLaB.  Remember the pre-season polls and comments on this board about our predicted finish for this past season?  We finished about where everyone predicted we would be.  And that was in spite of all our injuries!  From that standpoint, it would appear, at least on paper, that ML did an acceptable job.  Boy, it sure didn't take long for that to change, did it.  Remember the comments that some were surprised that Javon chose Valpo and congrats were headed in ML's direction for his recruiting prowess?  It just hurts when our program gets hit when we lose a good player to transfer.  After all we have been the recipients of transfers to our program so why are we so surprised when the shoe is on the other foot?  It happens to many schools, from the Power 5's to the MVC.  Should we do what North Dakota State does and recruit the unknown , small town players who often go un-touched by larger schools?  Isn't it easy to be critical while it is so difficult to remember the positive side of people or situations?

Well said indeed.  It is shocking to see transfers because we haven't had a starter transfer in recent memory.  Guys like Bakari and possibly Golder, want to find a spot where they are THE guy and given their talent level, they won't find it.  This may sound like sour grapes, and it probably is, but Golder hit me as a selfish player, looking for the highlite reel and actually hurt his ankle going for the dunk when he should have passed it.  If this makes anybody feel better, we have lost .289, .298 and ,306 shooting from the 3.

oklahomamick

64, you are correct, players transfer all the time.  However, name a program that had 4 transfer out immediately after the season. 
CRUSADERS!!!

humbleopinion

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 21, 2019, 02:43:31 PM
64, you are correct, players transfer all the time.  However, name a program that had 4 transfer out immediately after the season. 

UMKC lost eight yesterday.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Let's be honest. Smits, Golder and Evelyn all had shortcomings that plagued them the entire time they were at Valpo, including wild inconsistency, serious flaws, and attitude issues. We were never going to win consistently so long as they continued to have serious roles here. That's the way I see it.

While I agree that it's not fair to portray these 3 as problem children, it's equally not fair to portray Matt Lottich as a coaching buffoon just because they all decided to leave. No one on this board has the slightest clue what the story behind the story is. And no, it's not as simple as blaming the leader for not using the right motivational techniques to mold a group of individuals into a cohesive group. Group motivation is a shared responsibility that begins with a willingness by everyone involved to surrender their individual rights, humble themselves, and be open to constructive criticism. A breakdown can occur anywhere along the chain at any time.