• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Well, one thing has DEFINITELY changed...

Started by Crusader03, October 29, 2011, 09:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

We are FAR more physical and TOUGH in the post this year.  Van Wijk and Edwards are both a load to handle on the block and are going to give teams in the Horizon League problems they aren't used to from Valpo.  Let's face it---last year's post players (at least our key post player) were soft (no better word for it). 

RS

Van Wijk may be tougher but I thought that Edwards was outplayed quite a bit in the post. It was hard for him to defend the larger Hillsdale players plus getting off any decent shot in the paint. He did score 8 points but his slight build makes it hard for him to play a 4 or 5 . Better suited as a 3.

valpotx

If healthy, Kevin will bang around in there quite a bit, hopefully can stay out of foul trouble with increased minutes.  I am sure that Richie will get better, as his stats over the last few years indicate he should be a rebounder as well?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

Van Wijk looked good in many ways - it seems he has added some post moves.  Edwards....bigger body than I thought he had, but needs work.  No way Edwards can play meaningful minutes at the 5 spot right now - hopefully Fernandez can can (he sat out tonight's game)

sectionee

Edwards was pretty disappointing on this night in my opinion.  Guy was a black hole once he got the ball.  The new guys really stuck out when they were out there.  Hopefully the gelling process will pick up now that they are playing other teams.

KVW had a real nice game though.

mp91

Edwards is like Johnson... he needs lots of shots, but he will score substantially and rebound effectively which is most important

justducky

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 29, 2011, 09:59:50 PM
Van Wijk looked good in many ways - it seems he has added some post moves.  Edwards....bigger body than I thought he had, but needs work.  No way Edwards can play meaningful minutes at the 5 spot right now - hopefully Fernandez can can (he sat out tonight's game)
If Van Wijk stays healthy and if Fernandez can offer the team 12 to 14 minutes of solid defense and rebounding then I think the 5 spot will be well taken care of. If we want to call Broekhoff and Kenny the 3s then we are also well set at that position. Our guard play at both the 1 and 2 should be solid, intelligent, and low turnover but with some question of scoring ability.
The big question then becomes the 4. Can Edwards display good judgement, good defense and can he hit the 3 pointer better than he did in the World University Games (less than 25% if I remember correctly) ?  I rather suspect that if by mid-season Capobianco while watching in steet clothes is wondering where and how he can earn 15 minutes of playing time for the 12-13 year, then we will be in very good shape for both this year and next. If however, we in the stands are wondering just how much better the team will be when he can play then perhaps will we will have overestimated this teams potential. Much of the outcome rides with Richie Edwards.