• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2023

Started by VU2014, March 08, 2021, 07:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tiny707 on March 26, 2023, 06:00:26 PM
Does Zane stay? Will he win Indiana Mr. Basketball 2023? I like champions.
Markus Burton from Penn HS (Notre Dame signee) will win Mr. Basketball

David81

Quote from: VU2014 on March 26, 2023, 11:21:25 PM

Considering he just updated his Twitter profile to erase Valpo Basketball commit and put his recruiter contact info and highlights video as his link... I'd say he's as good as gone at this point...

It's possible he might've bailed even without a coaching change, but with the new uncertainty and Krikke entering the transfer portal, I can't blame the young man. He suddenly had no idea about what he'd be getting into.

historyman

Considering he just updated his Twitter profile to erase Valpo Basketball commit and put his recruiter contact info and highlights video as his link... I'd say he's as good as gone at this point...

From Hoosiers: "Give the coach a chance!"

I like this line a great deal but it doesn't really apply.

"I didn't think I could cut it the other night, either, but after what Jimmy did, it would take the Indiana National Guard to get me out of here."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Unless there's a part of Doughty's game which is not apparent either on tape or within the stats, he's going to require a fairly specific program/coach.

valpo64

I cannot imagine a recruit not even waiting to see who the next coach is before making a decision to de-commit.  I also think Ben should wait before making any decision.  I do not understand why some of our posters in a way encourage Ben to transfer.  Where is your loyalty to Valpo?  I too want the best for Ben but not to the extent that he leave the program.  I put Valpo's interest before Ben's.  Ben's name is not on my diploma nor do I send my checks to him.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on March 26, 2023, 06:00:26 PMDoes Zane stay? Will he win Indiana Mr. Basketball 2023? I like champions.
Instagram as well.

tjjvalpo

At the game on Saturday, there were a half dozen Power 5 conference Head Coaches at the game. ESPN has Bigunda rated 4th in the 2024 recruiting class. I didn't see the game, but the stats suggest that he is every bit as good as Bigunda. I am sure he will be going to Power 5 conference instead.

AlaskaCrusader19

Quote from: tjjvalpo on March 27, 2023, 02:02:05 PM
At the game on Saturday, there were a half dozen Power 5 conference Head Coaches at the game. ESPN has Bigunda rated 4th in the 2024 recruiting class. I didn't see the game, but the stats suggest that he is every bit as good as Bigunda. I am sure he will be going to Power 5 conference instead.
Zane Doughty is not as good as Flory Bidunga. C'mon.

VU2014

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on March 27, 2023, 02:40:11 PM
Quote from: tjjvalpo on March 27, 2023, 02:02:05 PM
Zane Doughty is not as good as Flory Bidunga. C'mon.

I have to second AK here. Zane has a very bright future, stats never tell the whole story.

Zane plays a physical brand of basketball could use a lot of polish in college. It makes more sense for him to play at the mid-major level where he'll get more early playing time and be able to get in game experience quicker.

If Coach Gore stays on staff, there is a chance he stays with Valpo and a very outside chance, Krikke as well.

tiny707

Looks like the two Canadian recruits no longer lost Valpo committ on Twitter also..

vok22

I fully expect all prior commits to decommit, and most on the roster to transfer. That is how things work nowadays, and I think that is generally a good thing. All coaches have different systems and are looking for different qualities. Why hamstring a new coach with players that don't fit their system? Whoever is hired will hit the transfer portal hard and recruit some guys that they think fits their model. It won't be built in a year, as it will be hard to recruit new freshmen in just a couple of months, but transfers should help ease the transition and fill out the roster.

valpofb16

Zane had a monster senior season. End of semester Power 5 scholarships will be available.

Hoping for the best

David81

We may see if VU can be one of those teams that basically starts over with a new HC and a slew of new players and somehow becomes competitive right away.

Well kids, at least we won't be bored over watching what transpires between now and fall practices.

AB

Is Zane he expected to be as good as Krikke was his Freshman year or better? Don't know how comparable Krikke's high school competition is to Zane's. If Doughty is as good as advertised, I would expect priority number one for the new head coach to pay an in home visit to his house, unless the coach want's to go a different direction. Don't know how good the Canadian guards are compared to Max and Tevonn as freshman.

valpofb16

No way to compare to Krikke but according to Massey, Zane played 10th hardest schedule in nation last season.

Indianapolis basketball is right up there with Chicago, LA, NYK. And produces lots of pros.

Mr. Basketball winners have gone power 5 every year since 2003 and Zane is the favorite. Late bloomer on this level, with coaching staff turnover as well will just need to wait and see.

JD24

If Valpo hires a five out coach, Doughty is gone and Valpo fans shouldn't worry about it. He shows no penchant for being able to play in that style of offense. I'm not even sure he could play in a high post offense which Valpo ran a lot this year through Krikke who seems to have a wider range of skills. Playing as a 6-8 or 6-9 guy in high school is nothing compared to playing at the same height in a decent collegiate league without being a shooter or leaper. His highlights show an ability to get position down low vs....very likely...a lot of competition which is either much smaller or inferior and high schoolers typically have no idea how to defend guys such as this. He did play well vs. the other big guy in his league so that's a plus for him.

I'm not trying to trash the guy without seeing all that much of him but, let's put it this way, he's no Peters who could basically do everything. As I said above...specific skill set which must go with a coach/program who would cater to him and I don't feel any coach should change his style because of this one player. Just get another guy who fits what you do.

usc4valpo

One recruit does not make a program.

valpofb16

In my experience tracking football recruiting since roughly 2016.

Once a commit wipes their profile of the University they are good as gone (which someone else referenced earlier in thread )

Agreed one commit does not make program. I'm not sure if everything was smooth this off-season Zane's comjng here.

His rise on Indy basketball scene was a bit unprecedented

valpo64

Zane is a great player playing with his back to the basket.  There are not alot of guys that do that well. At this point no outside game so he needs a system that will utilize his strengths.  Sure would love to see Zane and Ben together with Ben's outside game.  Zane handled the big guy from Kokomo very well, whether scoring or rebounding.  I like the fact that Zane can handle himself inside very well, even against tough big guys.  I sure hope he stays with us.

usc4valpo

I agree 64 - and hopefully they can contribute toward a succesful direction in the basketball program.

The coaching decision should not be based on whether the coach can specifically keep these guys. They need to think long term.

VU2014

If Coach Gore comes back, I could see Zane giving Valpo a shot.

But that is totally dependent on the new HC. A head coach will not make an assistant coach hire based on one recruit.

NativeCheesehead

Year 1 of the new regime probably will be loaded with portal guys and a few holdovers. Despite some coaches having some success right away recently I don't think we can reasonably expect that. I'll consider the new coach's first year to be a success if they achieve the following:

1. Show more competent game planning / managing on game days
2. Steady, consistent improvement over the course of the season
3. 5-7 'core' players through the portal or high school recruitment between this offseason and next that are ready to take the court in '24-'25

As far as scheduling it wouldn't shock me to see a schedule loaded with buy games to offset any costs of the coaching change.

David81

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 28, 2023, 01:19:08 PM
Year 1 of the new regime probably will be loaded with portal guys and a few holdovers. Despite some coaches having some success right away recently I don't think we can reasonably expect that. I'll consider the new coach's first year to be a success if they achieve the following:

1. Show more competent game planning / managing on game days
2. Steady, consistent improvement over the course of the season
3. 5-7 'core' players through the portal or high school recruitment between this offseason and next that are ready to take the court in '24-'25

As far as scheduling it wouldn't shock me to see a schedule loaded with buy games to offset any costs of the coaching change.

Year 2 will be the first fair measure of the new coach. Any W-L over .400 next season is gravy. Not being a pessimist. Just keeping realistic expectations.