• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Valpo Team Name Ideas

Started by jackvitashow, May 25, 2021, 03:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

Forget all the very poor quality logos submitted until now .  However this latest one with the "V" with the chapel and light beams in the "v" is tremendous.  Believe it or not , I really like it.

VULB#62

It's been a long, long time since I backed away from Valpo and the forum over the MSO decision. But I have been lurking infrequently. But I am choosing to drop a post here for what it's worth cuz it's kinda important to the future of Valpo athletics.

I was amused by the cat 4 storm caused by the new nickname and definitely sided with the anti-Beacons...... to a point. And to boot, I hated the "waiting for the art work" that delayed(?) the announcement.  Bush league stuff.

What turned me around was Bryan's professional approach to logo development.  A beacon doesn't have to be a freakin lighthouse. It is a lamp, a light, a flame, a source of direction and guidance.  And by using the chapel as the "lamp" the way he did, he hit the ball out of the park. It pulls it all together professionally — he even thought of miniaturization issues.

Now, as I go back to lurking the forum and occasionally dropping in on the Valpo athletics site, I hope someone on this board goes beyond the typical forum-internal bitching and has the courage to directly confront Padilla and MLB with Bryan's designs and a demand that the university reach out to him and incorporate his ideas going forward.

And BTW, I am thinking MBB might just break through this season. And if they do, it's 50/50 whether the university has the sense and skill to leverage it properly. 

valpopal

I checked with the folks at the site of the Coalition to Retire the Crusader, which organized the removal of the Crusader, and even there the support for the alternative logo with the illuminated Chapel inside the V rather than the in-house lighthouse logo is nearly unanimous. Although I support the current shield V as seen on the football and baseball fields, especially because of its subtle nod to past athletes and fans who backed the Crusader, I would readily accept the illuminated Chapel V as the secondary logo.

Ironically (I wish I could say it was done by strategic design), despite the deep division caused by the change from the Crusader, if the administration acts wisely and follows the popular choice of the Chapel V instead of any lighthouse imagery, this botched logo situation could actually lead to a move that would be viewed as positive and likely be a key to re-unifying most of the Valpo community.

usc4valpo

Get a logo that looks professional and cool, and we can live and move forward with the name. Time to focus on quality on our foundation than on window dressing. We need to start progressing in basketball and win consistently.

IndyValpo

I sent the President an email this weekend encouraging him to adopt the Chapel logo. He actually responded in about an hour saying he would pass my thoughts along to his team. What does that mean, probably nothing but I was surprised how quickly he responded on a weekend.

Interestingly I can count on two fingers the number of times I was in the Chapel while in school but I love that logo.

valpopal

The new look of the basketball court is done.

[tweet]1429908445986279432[/tweet]

vu72

Quote from: IndyValpo on August 23, 2021, 03:15:37 PM
I sent the President an email this weekend encouraging him to adopt the Chapel logo. He actually responded in about an hour saying he would pass my thoughts along to his team. What does that mean, probably nothing but I was surprised how quickly he responded on a weekend.

Interestingly I can count on two fingers the number of times I was in the Chapel while in school but I love that logo.

Not surprising that he responded.  I have sent him a couple of emails and he always responds even though we haven't even met the man.  The reality is that the alumni are always VERY important.  Those of us on this board with strong feelings need to get the guts to reach out to those who actually can make a difference.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I can imagine that replacing the stands curtain/divider may take some time.  Women's games might still have a Crusaders feel to them :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpotx on August 24, 2021, 02:41:24 AM
I can imagine that replacing the stands curtain/divider may take some time.  Women's games might still have a Crusaders feel to them :)
Nothing that a quick tape job won't fix.
Think Homer Drew Banner
Shine on Vu

valpo64

The new center  center court logo looks great!  However the "Valpo Beacons" on each end of the court looks terrible.  It is what it is!   Bad!

Pgmado

Quote from: valpo64 on August 24, 2021, 06:41:26 PM
The new center  center court logo looks great!  However the "Valpo Beacons" on each end of the court looks terrible.  It is what it is!   Bad!

Guessing it will look better once the hoops are in place. Won't be a giant blank space in the middle.

valpo95

Quote from: valpotx on August 24, 2021, 02:41:24 AM

Perhaps replacing the curtain will take some time, yet have they considered swapping it end for end, so at least it becomes a gold wall to the arena floor instead of the old nickname?

Just Sayin

This may have already been posted here:

Reactions to becoming the Beacons
Lachlan Streeter and Nathan Jaki Aug 19, 2021

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_7920ed6e-0157-11ec-97b7-236d9f69e888.html

wh

It would have been so easy for President Padilla to kowtow to the woke crowd that invented the Crusader controversy, choose some cutsie nickname with no spiritual connection, and move on as quickly as possible. But he didn't do that. Instead, he chose a name (probably the one name) that symbolized and embraced Valpo's foundational Christian principles. Even more, he left nothing to the imagination as to the source of the light with his statement, "Our new nickname directly connects to the University's motto, 'In Thy Light We See Light'," Suddenly, the focus has been elevated from a group of controversial human beings associated with religious history to God Almighty and his Son Jesus Christ as the university's inspiration. I commend President Padilla for his decision, as well as those on the selection committee that recommended the name Beacons and voted it into the top 4. I trust that God will honor this decision and continue to bless Valparaiso University long into the future. "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

valpo64

An athletic team's nickname SHOULD refer to the athletic side of a school's perception in the public realm.  It should not be a revelation of a school's grandeur exposition of the school's philosophy drawn up by an arrogant group of academics and unqualified "no it all" committee members that have no concept of a good public relations approach to the problem.

I agree that the "beacon" logo is ridiculous and a very poor choice.  But...what else can you expect to project when you choose the name "beacons"?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on August 26, 2021, 03:50:45 PM
An athletic team's nickname SHOULD refer to the athletic side of a school's perception in the public realm.  It should not be a revelation of a school's grandeur exposition of the school's philosophy drawn up by an arrogant group of academics and unqualified "no it all" committee members that have no concept of a good public relations approach to the problem.

I agree that the "beacon" logo is ridiculous and a very poor choice.  But...what else can you expect to project when you choose the name "beacons"?

Now that you've insulted the members, do you even have any idea who they might have been?  Perhaps an apology is in order. Maybe you'd like to confront Eron Gordon with your opinion of him. You decide.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on August 26, 2021, 03:50:45 PM

Did you even see what wh had written? I truly agree that it's time to unite behind the name Beacons and use the "Light of Christ" connection that Valparaiso University has stood by all these many years.

Go Beacons!!!!!

VUSERF

As a reminder, please email President Padilla directly regarding your opinions and suggestions of the logos.

Twitter / board messages alone will likely be ignored by the administration.

Light the Beacons!

Pgmado

Just throwing some two cents here. I've talked to a lot of alums, friends I went to school with, etc. They generally dislike Beacons. On the other hand, I've spoken to a lot of students over the last two days and they're pumped for the name. Kids are wearing shirts everywhere. There's a buzz about the name on campus. It's fascinating to me how different the perception of the name is among the two groups.

IndyValpo

Quote from: wh on August 26, 2021, 10:26:28 AM
It would have been so easy for President Padilla to kowtow to the woke crowd that invented the Crusader controversy, choose some cutsie nickname with no spiritual connection, and move on as quickly as possible. But he didn't do that. Instead, he chose a name (probably the one name) that symbolized and embraced Valpo's foundational Christian principles. Even more, he left nothing to the imagination as to the source of the light with his statement, "Our new nickname directly connects to the University's motto, 'In Thy Light We See Light'," Suddenly, the focus has been elevated from a group of controversial human beings associated with religious history to God Almighty and his Son Jesus Christ as the university's inspiration. I commend President Padilla for his decision, as well as those on the selection committee that recommended the name Beacons and voted it into the top 4. I trust that God will honor this decision and continue to bless Valparaiso University long into the future. "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

I almost started a poll on how long it would take for 64 to respond with his traditional bitch. He did not disappoint!

valpo64

For what it is worth, I did e-mail President Padilla within hours of his announcement of the new name.  While I must say I received a rather quick response, later in the  same day,  the President did not reply, the response was sent by a staff member.  If the Committee as a whole is embarrassed, so be it.  They own the decision and they should live with it.  Just because they made the choice they did doesn't mean I or anyone else have to like it and commend them for their decision.

At least the student body, based on earlier comments, likes it.  That is good and I hope those feelings continue to be on the positive side.  Nevertheless, I don't have to like it.  I will continue to support the school financially and attend games as in the past. GO VALPO!

valpotx

Quote from: Pgmado on August 26, 2021, 09:58:53 PM
Just throwing some two cents here. I've talked to a lot of alums, friends I went to school with, etc. They generally dislike Beacons. On the other hand, I've spoken to a lot of students over the last two days and they're pumped for the name. Kids are wearing shirts everywhere. There's a buzz about the name on campus. It's fascinating to me how different the perception of the name is among the two groups.

As surprised as I was/am in the selection of the crappy mascot name, I am even more surprised that you are telling me that Gen Z was walking around and doing things outside??  Were they wondering about the big bright object in the sky?
"Don't mess with Texas"

jtm

Since the logo reveal, has anyone really seen the University feature the lighthouse anywhere on their internet platforms? I could be wrong, but the fact that they themselves aren't even confident enough to promote the new logo all over the place proves how much of a marketing failure this is. Beacons = fine, logo = terrible.

bbtds

Quote from: jtm on August 28, 2021, 08:03:20 AM
Since the logo reveal, has anyone really seen the University feature the lighthouse anywhere on their internet platforms? I could be wrong, but the fact that they themselves aren't even confident enough to promote the new logo all over the place proves how much of a marketing failure this is. Beacons = fine, logo = terrible.

So low go on the logo?   ;D