• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/18/11: Akron Game Thread

Started by mp91, November 15, 2011, 08:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

Akron scouting report and players to watch:

http://www.beyond-the-arc.com/

wh

Akron last came to the ARC in '08-09 with one of their better teams in recent years.  They were 23-13 year and went to the NCAA tournament.  We had probably our worst team in the past 15-20 years.  I remember their fans coming over here talking some good natured smack about all their players we weren't going to be able to stop.  Then we won by 8 pts. and never heard from our new friends again.  I hope they come back...

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

I don't know much about the Zips but I read that Akron's center had 10 points, 6 boards and 5 blocks against Mississippi State.  I think not having a bang bang 5 will hurt Valpo.  It will be interesting to see how we handle Marshall defensively.

Akron 70
Valpo 63

vu72

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 16, 2011, 05:31:24 PM
I don't know much about the Zips but I read that Akron's center had 10 points, 6 boards and 5 blocks against Mississippi State.  I think not having a bang bang 5 will hurt Valpo.  It will be interesting to see how we handle Marshall defensively.

Akron 70
Valpo 63

Interesting.  Can you tell us what a "bang bang" center is?  I'm wondering how the zips will be able to handle Kevin.  Here's what I know:  In 3 games, 2 against D1 opponents and 1 against a top 20 team, Kevin has played an average of 20.7 minutes, scored 15.3 ppg with 8 boards.
Their 5 has played 2 games, 1 against a D1 team who also is ranked in the top 20.  He has averaged 20.5 minutes per game while scoring 7.5 ppg and 5.5 boards.

I don't see a problem underneath.  If we have a problem it will be with their guards.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

johnestuff

Kevin and others will need to be a  little more creative with his moves underneath. Their guy is big, but we should win that battle. With the number of fouls that we draw, we should be able to neutralize after a fashion.

Go Crusaders!

valpo84

Akron may be the next best team we play except for Ohio State before the end of the year. This is their best club coming into the season. Marshall is a load defensively and gave us fits last time we played them in Akron. Do not undersell this team. They are physical and beat us up pretty good in Akron 77-57 2 years ago!! This will be an excellent test of our "mid-major" ranking this year and would be an excellent RPI win down the road. But, we will need to play 40 mins, not the 32 we did against Arizona. Nicola Cvetinovic is the guy who could give us more fits. He had a very solid year last year and scores and rebounds. Ryan will have his hands full. Edwards will be tested to the max on defense against Nicola. And by the way, their Director of Basketball Ops knows us very well -- Dan Peters, a former YSU head coach and who was at OSU prior to coming to the Zips.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

I'm assuming the students won't be on campus for any of the weekend games.  Is this true?

sectionee

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2011, 10:03:11 PM
I'm assuming the students won't be on campus for any of the weekend games.  Is this true?

I guess you saw the thread with the "Stay a Day for Homer" campaign.  Which is targeted at Akron.  Thanksgiving break is all of next week, so I expect most students will leave Friday or Saturday, to return the following Sunday.

sectionee

I would bet there won't be many students there besides our foreign kids.  I hope I'm wrong though, I really like it when that section is packed and bringing some energy.

Valpo89

Why does VU release everyone for Thanksgiving so darn early?
Every other college has classes on Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving Week.

agibson

Yeah, it's one of the Valpo scheduling quirks.  Like the two week spring break.

I suppose the thanksgiving schedule might simplify travel for students.  For faculty and staff with kids, it doesn't mesh well with e.g. the local schools.

We skip a bunch of the "usual" holidays (labor day, veteran's day, etc.) so the total amount of time off isn't probably unusual.

swiftmutiny

There should be a pretty good student turnout for the Akron game, but it'll likely be close to empty for the rest of the games. The dorms lock at noon on Saturday.

vu72

Quote from: swiftmutiny on November 17, 2011, 02:30:17 PM
There should be a pretty good student turnout for the Akron game, but it'll likely be close to empty for the rest of the games. The dorms lock at noon on Saturday.

Just curious.  If you are from Saudi Arabia, or Australia for that matter, where do you sleep with the dorms locked?  Does everyone regardless of home address need to find a friend who can take you in??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

Quote from: vu72 on November 17, 2011, 03:23:22 PM
Quote from: swiftmutiny on November 17, 2011, 02:30:17 PM

Just curious.  If you are from Saudi Arabia, or Australia for that matter, where do you sleep with the dorms locked?  Does everyone regardless of home address need to find a friend who can take you in??

When I was there, there they left Brandt open for those that weren't going home.

valpotx

From 1999-2004, you would be put into Berg if you could find someone that would 'loan' you their room.  Playing baseball and being from TX, a country in itself ;-), I usually stayed on campus for all breaks except Thanksgiving & Christmas.  I was put into Berg each time, one time even sleeping in one of the lounges lol.
"Don't mess with Texas"

swiftmutiny

Yes, Berg is the dorm for the international students or anyone else who needs to stay over breaks. Many of them live in Berg already so they don't have to bother with moving stuff around over breaks.

Back on topic, my score prediction:

Valpo - 68
Akron - 75

vuweathernerd

while i was there, berg and brandt were both available for students to stay in over thanksgiving/christmas/spring break. but yes, most of them do already live in one of the two buildings already. but with the game being friday night, there should be a decent number of students still there.

valpopal

The Vegas odds currently have the game at dead even. Since we've beaten the spread in each of the first three games, I'll go against my better judgment and press the luck further by picking the Crusaders:

Akron  74
Valpo  75

historyman

I think Valpo pulls this one out but it will be very close all the way until the very end.

Akron  66
Valpo  72

vu84v2

Very tough game, but I get the feeling that right now the team is healthy and fairly in sync.

Akron 75
Valpo 77