• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/19/11: IU Kokomo Game Thread

Started by sectionee, November 18, 2011, 05:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Questions for the second half:
-Will Vucic score more points than he has in to-date in his career or before this season (16 and 10)
-Same question for Shelton (10 and 6).  Note:  I am not criticzing Shelton..anyone who walks on for four years at a D1 basketball program must have great work ethic and character
-Will the little kid dribbling at half court suit up for the last few minutes for Valpo?
-Where did Nathan Steggleman come from?  Was he sitting in the union and Bryce walked by and said, "do you want to play tonight"

agibson

Just checking in at half time: highly amusing to see us starting our two-person bench and a walk-on.    And to have two _other_ walk-ons get serious minutes in the first half.  But, seems like it's only sporting.

What's the story on van Wijk?  It sounds like it's known that he won't play tonight - just resting him?  Or is there any definite hint of a problem?

mj

QuoteWhere did Nathan Steggleman come from?  Was he sitting in the union and Bryce walked by and said, "do you want to play tonight"

Apparently he often plays pick up games at the ARC. My brother mentioned that he played against him quite frequently. Kind of a neat story. 
I believe that we will win.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on November 19, 2011, 08:37:51 PMhighly amusing to see us starting our two-person bench and a walk-on.

Whoops, sorry.  Two of our three-person scholarship bench.  Kurth came in off the bench.

valpopal

Interesting note on a night we play cupcake IU-Kokomo: #20 Cincinnati, a team always criticized for scheduling such easy games--like this year's schedule that includes Alabama State, Jacksonville State, Radford, Chicago State, and Arkansas Pine-Bluff--lost this evening at home to another cupcake, Presbyterian.   ;D

valpofan56

Quote from: valpopal on November 19, 2011, 09:44:06 PM
Interesting note on a night we play cupcake IU-Kokomo: #20 Cincinnati, a team always criticized for scheduling such easy games--like this year's schedule that includes Alabama State, Jacksonville State, Radford, Chicago State, and Arkansas Pine-Bluff--lost this evening at home to another cupcake, Presbyterian.   ;D

Ahhhh yes, the mighty Blue Hose of Presbyterian!

cmack

Come on now.  Our we seriously measuring Vucic's value to the team partially based on a game against the PCC all-stars?  We do need him because he is tall and healthy.  Beyond that and with a full roster, he will never play again.  He is a walk-on with a scholarship.  To say he plays "a little defense" is laughable.  He plays no defense.  Against a team with any inside presence or speed, he creates a hole on defense the size of Montana.  I appreciate his contribution this year.  It has been a welcome surprise.  But if he is getting any minutes as a junior or senior, then it means we are in real trouble.

valpotx

cmack, I bet you said the same about Nikkila.  Don't doubt a kid that is willing to get in the weight room like he has, and someone that has obviously gotten just a bit quicker.

Is this Steggleman guy just for this last game, or is he now an official walk-on with Carpenter and Shelton?

I remember something similar happening when I was in school, where JHawk was joined by Jon Kedrowski as walk-ons to play in a few games.  Kedrowski and JHawk were fun to play against in rec leagues, and it was cool seeing them take on a few teams as 'fan representatives.'
"Don't mess with Texas"

cmack

I did say the same things about Nikkila, but I think Vucic is way behind where Antii was coming in.  The weight room is not a concern to me at all.  I wouldn't waste my time there.  Speed drills and actual basketball drills is what he needs.  If he is strong as Schwarzenegger, everyone will still just drive right around him for a layup.

Anyway, I do feel that Bryce has found a way to utilize him in the best possible way.  I have much more faith in Bryce's substituitions throughout the game than Homer.  Homer left me confused many many times when subbing in players.

bbtds

Quote from: cmack on November 20, 2011, 10:52:51 AM
I did say the same things about Nikkila, but I think Vucic is way behind where Antii was coming in.  The weight room is not a concern to me at all.  I wouldn't waste my time there.  Speed drills and actual basketball drills is what he needs.  If he is strong as Schwarzenegger, everyone will still just drive right around him for a layup.

Anyway, I do feel that Bryce has found a way to utilize him in the best possible way.  I have much more faith in Bryce's substituitions throughout the game than Homer.  Homer left me confused many many times when subbing in players.

I totally agree with you cmack. Vucic needs to learn to play a lot better defense. At 7 foot he should be dominating players from teams like IU-Kokomo and you hardly noticed that he was on the defensive end. He did play a lot better offensively against Duquesne tonight and I commend him for improving in that area.

I also agree about the substitution patterns of Bryce and Homer. Homer used to pull players out when they got the hot hand and you couldn't figure it out why he was doing that. Bryce will have none of that and leaves the guy with the hot hand in. It has really shown up in the way the team has been able to come back when their opponent makes a run.

sectionee

I heard today that Stegelman is staying on the team all year.

valpotx

Well congrats to him, another 6'6" guy to add to any late minutes, or early minutes if anyone gets in foul trouble.  Though he probably will not play much, he is also an option for subbing in to foul people.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

two games, and he's already the team leader in blocks per game at two. lol. if he can keep blocking shots all year, there's no reason for him not to see time.