• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

11/20/11: Duquesne Game Thread

Started by sectionee, November 20, 2011, 07:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

Hopefully the guys are well rested and have located their jumpers for this afternoon's ga
E.  See you there!

letsgovu

Duquesne has had a longer weekend than we have had.  The game on Friday against UDC was closer than the score indicates, and then they played Akron on Sat.

covufan

If we hit the offensive glass and our 3-pt shots, I think we'll have a good shot.

Valpo  - 73
Duquesne - 71

vu84v2

I think that the key here will be getting inside points from Van Wijk, finding good interior defense and rebounding, and hitting three pointers.  Van Wijk should be well rested, Bogan looked good shooting the three last night (albeit against a weak opponent), and I think the team will come out enthused and playing hard (Bryce is doing a good job there).

Valpo 74  Duquense 72

valpopal

Vegas has Duquesne favored by 3, but we have beat the spread in every game thus far. I'm hoping we surprise the odds makers again with an upset:

Duquesne 73
Valpo       75

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan

wh

Size-wise we match up better with Duquesne than we did with Akron.  That said, Duquesne's backcourt is better than Akron's - good shooters with ability to penetrate.  On Friday we were sitting in the same section as their team.  They left at half time except one asst., who continued to scout and take notes.  Just based on that one game and knowing how poorly we have shot the 3 this year, I have to believe their no. 1 goal is to collapse on Kevin and force us to hit outside shots (not rocket science).  We got lucky the other night with Marshall getting into foul trouble, but realistically we are not going to win any more games shooting 0-14 from 3.  Our best proven outside shooter is Ryan - if he continues to struggle from outside, we are going to be in trouble.  If he happens to get hot, I see a 6-8 point win.

vu72

Sagarin has the Dukes ranked #33.  We are 84th.  Accordingly, they are a 4 point favorite straight up.

I like the fact that Bogan hit some 3's yesterday although Ryan's shooting of late is troubling.  Matt hit a couple but we don't have that many shooters.  I agree with wh.  We need to keep them off balance via the 3, if not we will have our hands full.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Just finished my Sunday afternoon nap, ready for game time  I'll go with:

Valpo: 69
Duquesne: 66

We win on a buzzer beater three pointer by, oh I don't know, Jay Harris.

okinawatyphoon

Final
Valpo 84
Duquesne 68

Looks like our 3 pointers finally fell this time!
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

mj

Great win for Valpo over a very good Duquesne team. Gives us some great momentum going into Ohio State. Considering that Edwards is coming back, we might have a good chance to break our losing streak against Top 25 teams.
I believe that we will win.

vu72

Missed the whole game doing what I was told to do!  So, was it as dominating as it looks?  Did they look like a #33 team or did we look like a top 25 team?

Not sure we are ready for Ohio State, they aren't a top 25 team, they are a top 3 team.  But, who knows, this team could be something very special and does anybody actually want to say Bryce isn't the right guy now?  We should get some top 25 votes and should easily move to the top 50 in the Sagarins!  GREAT WIN!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

govalpogo

This could be a truly exceptional team next year at full strength! That said, this year looks like it's shaping up quite well also!  Very convincing win, raised my confidence a bunch!

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on November 20, 2011, 05:23:57 PM
Missed the whole game doing what I was told to do!  So, was it as dominating as it looks?  Did they look like a #33 team or did we look like a top 25 team?

Not sure we are ready for Ohio State, they  WIN!!

We looked very good.  Everyone contributed.  Harris, Broekhoff, and VanWijk were especially impressive. 
Beamin' Beacons

RS

Very impressive win. Ryan and Kevin were almost unstopable. Harris , Kenney , Buggs also had good games. And I must give Vucic a well played game. Rebounded with authority and also contributed 4 points. If he can do that consistently it will make Kevin all the better. Overall great defense and a well conceived offense plus great intensity. Could be a very good year in the making.

sectionee

Bryce completely outcoached his counter part tonight.  Valpo ran the same play for KVW for the final 25 minutes of the game.  Everyone to one side of the court the either lob it over the defense if they front or feed him and let him go to work iof they play behind.  Outstanding play tonight, more after the boys go to sleep.

chairback

Just a note that Duquesne was picked 9th in their preseason conf rankings. 

There is an obvious difference with Bryce as coach.  This team runs much more than teams in the past.  They push the ball.

Also, while he didn't score hardly any points, Buggs at the point caused them problems.  They had trouble keeping up with them.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on November 20, 2011, 05:23:57 PM

Not sure we are ready for Ohio State, they aren't a top 25 team, they are a top 3 team.  But, who knows, this team could be something very special and does anybody actually want to say Bryce isn't the right guy now?  We should get some top 25 votes and should easily move to the top 50 in the Sagarins!  GREAT WIN!!

We were dominant at every position.  Ryan was the player of the game IMO.  He had a double-double in the first half and set the tone with his shooting and amazing rebounding.  He also had an amazing block after a lazy in bounds pass after a made basket was stolen by their point guard.  He went up for what surely looked like an uncontested layup and Ryan came out of nowhere to make the block.

agibson

Quote from: chairback on November 20, 2011, 06:32:11 PMJust a note that Duquesne was picked 9th in their preseason conf rankings. 

9th in a 14 team conference, mind you.  And one that sent three teams to the NCAA last season.  Duquesne finished tied for 4th last year, and went to the second round of the CBI (their RPI last year was 108 to our 77).

This year, realtimerpi forecast the game as an eight point win for us - huh. 

Anyhow, a fantastic win.  Ryan and Kevin looked pretty dominant.  Jay was really feeling it - great to see.

Against a team from a conference that's perennially in the top 10, this is a good game to schedule for RPI.  And, of course, a great one to win.

If the guys can consistently play like they did tonight, the season could be something special.

sectionee

crusaderjoe

Great game by VU.  Whenever they went on a little run to close the gap, VU answered to extend it right back.  Everyone played well.  A nice surprising contribution by Vucic.  To that end, I have to admit I kind of enjoyed that "you're gonna put your seven foot guy in from Europe then we're gonna put our seven foot guy in from Europe" exchange with about a minute to go at the end of the first half. 

Nice to see Valpo beat a team from the MAC and A-10 in one weekend.  Now lets see if we can continue to carry this momentum away from home in a more hostile environment.

agibson

Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 20, 2011, 07:51:23 PMGreat game by VU.  Whenever they went on a little run to close the gap, VU answered to extend it right back.  Everyone played well.  A nice surprising contribution by Vucic.  To that end, I have to admit I kind of enjoyed that "you're gonna put your seven foot guy in from Europe then we're gonna put our seven foot guy in from Europe" exchange with about a minute to go at the end of the first half.

I enjoyed watching those two go at it - their guy was _big_!  Was a more striking physical specimen, but Vucic had a fine game.

wh

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2011, 08:03:05 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on November 20, 2011, 07:51:23 PMGreat game by VU.  Whenever they went on a little run to close the gap, VU answered to extend it right back.  Everyone played well.  A nice surprising contribution by Vucic.  To that end, I have to admit I kind of enjoyed that "you're gonna put your seven foot guy in from Europe then we're gonna put our seven foot guy in from Europe" exchange with about a minute to go at the end of the first half.

I enjoyed watching those two go at it - their guy was _big_!  Was a more striking physical specimen, but Vucic had a fine game.

I saw some article this past week in Pittsburgh that said this was the first game he would be eligible to play.  As I recall, it said he weighs 300 lbs.  I didn't see an ounce of fat on that frame.   He looked like Ivan Drago's big brother.