• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at Il St 1/21 6pm ESPN3

Started by humbleopinion, January 21, 2023, 01:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Illinois State has notched wins over MoSt, Belmont, and Evansville, but lost to UIC.

Valpo has historically played well in Normal. Can the win streak extend to three games?
Beamin' Beacons

VALPO LI

Let the Beacons shine through this blackout in Normal Illinois!!!
Shine on Vu

AB

Is this a mirage I am seeing? Shots come and go, but the key is the defensive intensity. Bayu is a very poor man's Shawn Kemp on defense end and in the open court. Stay tuned for a second half collapse or continued execution.

justducky

Playing pretty solid defense and a few shots are dropping. 3 in a row doesn't look to be totally out of the question but it usually goes down to the wire with the redbirds.

rogerwilco

Up 9 at the half!
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?

mj

Barrett has really improved the past few games. Nice to see him playing well.
I believe that we will win.

VUSWIM08-12

Best all around performance so far...just enough for Lottich to keep his job lol?!??...fawwkkkkk

chgovalpofan

Words i never expected to say this season.  Valpo wins by 20!

mj

20 point blowout win on the road!!

Is this our best road win in conference play since we've been in the Valley?
I believe that we will win.

chgovalpofan

Barrett needs more playing time to get in a rhythm. He's a shooter

justducky

Who are these guys and where did they hide our other team ???

historyman

I think the talent is starting to show through against the lower ranked teams in the conference despite the inferior coaching. I saw nothing in the last 3 games that says that the head coach should be retained.

Did you see anything that said this coaching staff is getting better?

But I do hope the team's talent can pull through for at least 3 more wins and a few more wins against teams that have/will beat the Beacons.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: rogerwilco on January 21, 2023, 07:06:43 PM
Up 9 at the half!
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide of
Redbird Reality.

Open your eyes,[/size]Look up to the skies and see,I'm just a poor coach, I need no sympathy,Because I'm easy come, easy go,Little high, little low,Any way the team goes doesn't really matter toMe, to me

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

The preseason MVC poll had VU in 9th place, ahead of Illinois State, UIC, and Evansville. Halfway through conference play and, as predicted, Valpo leads the bottom third of the league in 9th place with wins over (10) Illinois State, (11) UIC, and (12) Evansville. To show progress in the remainder of the schedule and fulfill AD Small's minimal hope for an upper half of the conference showing, the team now needs wins over the better programs in the top two-thirds of the league.

4throwfan

Playing the three worst teams in the conference three games in a row results in a three game winning streak.  I'm glad that they won.  But, for now there needs to be wins against other teams in the conference, otherwise, Valpo is simply the best of the Thursday teams, which should not be the goal for the year, or long term.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on January 21, 2023, 07:56:30 PM
The preseason MVC poll had VU in 9th place, ahead of Illinois State, UIC, and Evansville. Halfway through conference play and, as predicted, Valpo leads the bottom third of the league in 9th place with wins over (10) Illinois State, (11) UIC, and (12) Evansville. To show progress in the remainder of the schedule and fulfill AD Small's minimal hope for an upper half of the conference showing, the team now needs wins over the better programs in the top two-thirds of the league.

If the Beacons finish 9th get ready for a 12:00 noon start on Thursday March 2nd at Arch Madness.

oklahomamick

Last time we had a 3 game MVC win streak......somebody ended up with a new contract extension
CRUSADERS!!!

AB

Playing much closer to potential tonight and it looks like the staff has found a rotation. Redbirds defense was not very good on the permitter and Valpo seemed just a step faster to all the loose balls. Defense kept them in the game early on. Quentin Green having an outer body experience!! Not much separation in the conference outside of Bradley, Belmont and Evansville. Not holding my breathe on the defensive intensity showing up on a nightly basis. We defeated three weak teams in a row, next stop Cedar Falls. Another chance to prove if last three games were a mirage.

covufan

Quote from: justducky on January 21, 2023, 07:47:10 PM
Who are these guys and where did they hide our other team ???
Was just going to say same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 21, 2023, 07:58:11 PM
Playing the three worst teams in the conference three games in a row results in a three game winning streak.  I'm glad that they won.  But, for now there needs to be wins against other teams in the conference, otherwise, Valpo is simply the best of the Thursday teams, which should not be the goal for the year, or long term.

This year at Arch Madness the 5th through 12th place teams play on Thursday. So Valpo would need to finish 4th or better in order not to play on Thursday. That won't happen.

The Thursday schedule at Arch Madness is 12:00 noon 8th vs 9th, 2:30 pm 5th vs 12th, 6:00 pm 7th vs 10th & 8:30 pm 6th vs 11th. Then on Friday there are 4 games 12:00 noon 1st vs 8/9 winner, 2:30 pm 4th vs 5/12 winner, 6:00 pm 2nd  vs 7/10 winner & 8:30 pm 3rd vs 6/11 winner.

4throwfan

Thanks for correcting me Historyman.  My point is still the same, but was better stated by Valpopal.

valpotx

Yay, we suck less than ISUr, UIC, and Evansville, and won't go 2-18! 

Is Palm on Lottich's crap list, due to being an offensive liability? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

tjjvalpo

I believe Palm minutes dropped after the Indiana State game and we had absolutely no help defense. If you remember, Indiana State got open layups throughout the entire game. I believe it was also the next game when Krikke was moved to the high post on offense. That is when the defense started to improve and the offense started to look better, as well.

IndyValpo

Quote from: tjjvalpo on January 22, 2023, 05:31:34 AM
I believe Palm minutes dropped after the Indiana State game and we had absolutely no help defense. If you remember, Indiana State got open layups throughout the entire game. I believe it was also the next game when Krikke was moved to the high post on offense. That is when the defense started to improve and the offense started to look better, as well.
OMG that sounds like coaching and Historyman hasn't seen any signs...

elephtheria47

Watched the 2nd half after i saw we were up 10 at half. Best we've looked so far - - always looks good when the ball goes in the hoop. Win a few more games, be 500ish, and we'll get ML for another season.