• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Here’s to Ben 🍺🍷🥃

Started by VULB#62, February 20, 2023, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Ya know........

VU has had a lot of talented players go through the revolving door of the MBB program. I could name many as can most of us. Some took their talents elsewhere to either success or oblivion or somewhere in between.  We've been fortunate recently to have held onto a few (remember a mate named Rowdy or a guy people call AP?).

Flying under the radar IMO for the past four years is Ben Krikke.  In the chaos that has evolved over that time period, he has been a rock - sticking around, even keeled, consistently performing, never bitching, always giving his best, playing incredible minutes, leading by example, grabbing the role of team spokesman and handling it with integrity and polish, and scoring despite most teams trying to take him out of the game equation.

Well, Ben was voted MVC player of the week despite our team losing both games.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2022-23/21880/krikke-earns-mvc-player-of-the-week-nod/

Yeah sure, we on this board just assume Ben will be the key to anything Valpo accomplishes. Of course, he gets occasional props - almost like it was just expected. But lost in all the consternation of winning (not so much)  and losing (too much) and coaching is the fact this kid is holding what there is of this  program together. When Rowdy and Alec were our bell cows, the praise and recognition was clearly effusive and rightly so. But to me (at least) right now, it almost seems like Ben, despite all the challenges and pressure he is under, has been taken a bit for granted. He deserves better.

He's gonna probably pass Rowdy in scoring. His folks finally saw him play live and he treated them to a career show. Whether he returns for a 5th year or not, in my heart, this kid will wind up in the Valpo athletics HoF. Write it down.

In the remaining days of this season with all the constant tension over where Valpo is heading as a DI basketball program, let's be thankful that we have a kid like Ben representing our university at such a high level and celebrate his every dribble, shot, rebound and assist. He is more than deserving of that.  Love the kid.

Valpo89

Great post and congratulations to Ben. I'm sure he could have gone somewhere else at any point in his career, but I'm told he loves Valpo and has ridden out the storm.
Thanks to Ben for his effort throughout the four years. Hopefully he will be named first team all-conference as well.

David81

Great post VULB#62!

Among the many aspects of Ben Krikke worthy of praise is how he has worked relentlessly at his game -- and is still doing so.

The Krikke of last year was very good. The Krikke of this year is first-team MVC and a POY candidate.

crusadermoe

Just incredible.  He's a very good reason to keep watching the team this year despite the immense frustrations!

Brandon

Great thread. It's been a pleasure to get to know Ben by spending the last four years around the team. Low maintenance, easy going, no ego, great student, great work ethic and loyal to Valpo on top of the everything you see on the court.

tiny707

Brandon, does Ben like chicken tenders as much as you on the road?

AB

I have not compared the stats, but who will go down as a more decorated Valpo player? Dan Opland or Ben Krikke? Both very productive 4 year careers on substandard teams mostly. Both played similar positions.

valpo64

It has been a privilege to watch Ben play.  I hope he stays for another year no matter who is coaching.  He would be a terrific leader in addition to his playing ability and a great example for new additions to emulate.  Thanks for all of your examples of hard work both on and off the court.

justducky

Quote from: AB on February 23, 2023, 05:03:32 PM
I have not compared the stats, but who will go down as a more decorated Valpo player? Dan Opland or Ben Krikke? Both very productive 4 year careers on substandard teams mostly. Both played similar positions.

Opland the better outside shot, Krikke the stronger inside game. Beyond that I wouldn't try to pick a winner.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo64 on February 24, 2023, 12:14:30 PM
It has been a privilege to watch Ben play.  I hope he stays for another year no matter who is coaching.  He would be a terrific leader in addition to his playing ability and a great example for new additions to emulate.  Thanks for all of your examples of hard work both on and off the court.

Ben strikes me as someone who hates to lose. I don't see him investing in Valpo anymore just to get the same old - same old.

historyman

Or Urule Igbavboa?

Just kidding. That team won 9 games in the HL.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: justducky on February 24, 2023, 12:31:28 PM

Opland the better outside shot, Krikke the stronger inside game. Beyond that I wouldn't try to pick a winner.

FYI, Dan Oppland.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Urule was Dan Oppland Light, but pretty good.  Dan and Ben are very similar.  I wouldn't be so quick to say that Ben's inside game is better.  Oppland would pound it in down low.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 25, 2023, 06:13:19 PMDan and Ben are very similar.  I wouldn't be so quick to say that Ben's inside game is better.  Oppland would pound it in down low.

Yes after 17 years we almost need his highlight reel to refresh our memories. Dan was good but I didn't dig up his yearly stats for a closer analysis. Both had some good teammates and some that just filled the gaps. One additional point may be that the 3 point line was moved back (how far?) between their careers?

valpo tundra

Totally agree with Ben's contribution and really appreciate his loyalty.  Dan Oppland was a stud on some sub-par teams.  He walked around and played with more confidence than almost any Valpo player in decades.

justducky

"Krikke should be 1'st team even though Valpo is hot garbage. He's had a great year."

The above is a quote from the MVCFANS message board (Tyler Durden) which pretty well sums things up.

historyman

Quote from: valpo tundra on February 27, 2023, 12:36:33 AM
Totally agree with Ben's contribution and really appreciate his loyalty.  Dan Oppland was a stud on some sub-par teams.  He walked around and played with more confidence than almost any Valpo player in decades.

"What is he saying?"

tiny707

His grades are definitely good enough to get into Notre Dame.

VULB#62

Since when does ND worry about grades when talent is valued. Ben could have a 2.0 GPA and if they could use him they'd offer. 😀

usc4valpo

Omg... USC and ND are about the same academically, and I know USC would take a subpar student.

I wonder if Krikke has made a decision.

wh

Has anyone posted that Ben has entered the transfer portal?

VULB#62

wh

Seemingly, 2 of Valpo's all time greats have a strong bookend connection to Matt Lottich's tenure at Valpo. Seven years ago Alec Peters reportedly said he was transferring unless Matt Lottich was named head coach. Presently, Ben Krikke announces he is transferring as Matt is relieved of his duties as head coach.

VULB#62

Doesn't mean he actually will, but..........................................