• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Krikke is kind of like a poor man's Drew Timme. I wish him the best.

Just Sayin

Quote from: historyman on March 21, 2023, 12:23:30 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2023, 12:10:45 PMInteresting. I would also think that Saint Mary's could be a good fit.

Crikey, Krikke is NOT Australian!    :o

Niether is the freshman stud Aidan Mahaney who plays for St. Mary's.

https://smcgaels.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/aidan-mahaney/3938

historyman

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 21, 2023, 01:23:41 PM
Quote from: historyman on March 21, 2023, 12:23:30 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on March 21, 2023, 12:10:45 PMInteresting. I would also think that Saint Mary's could be a good fit.

Crikey, Krikke is NOT Australian!    :o

Niether is the freshman stud Aidan Mahaney who plays for St. Mary's.

https://smcgaels.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/aidan-mahaney/3938

Yes, but "Crikey, Krikke" is fun to say.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

usc4valpo

If Valpo had an all Canadian lineup, could Tim Horton's build a arena for us? Could Don Cherry do the ceremonial opening tip?

VULB#62

Would LaBatts and Molson be served at the ARC?

David81

Poutine as well as regular fries. 😳

historyman

Change the mascot to a Canadian mountie. Talk about a Beacon of virtue!

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tiny707

Who do you like in the transfer portal for the Cam spot? Actually, Okay Djamgouz from Drake would be an excellent pick up. Great shooter. We like Canadians too.

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on March 22, 2023, 07:33:47 AM
Who do you like in the transfer portal for the Cam spot? Actually, Okay Djamgouz from Drake would be an excellent pick up. Great shooter. We like Canadians too.

Anybody who can actually shoot it!  Please, just not another 7 footer who rides the pines!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

It appears that there will be a boatload of St. John's available soon.

Rick Pitino says most St John's players likely won't return next season: 'Not a good fit for me'

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/rick-pitino-most-st-johns-players-wont-be-on-team-next-season

DuneHwx

Huh. I hear that and feel sorry for the student athletes whose lives and careers (both academic and basketball) have been upended through no fault of their own. And to be honest, they will not all end up in a better place or position. The system favors millionaire coaches on the backs of student athletes.

usc4valpo

Welcome to major D1 sports. Same thing happening with Coach Prime Sanders at Colorado, where he said most of them would not be around. Then again, they were 1-11 last year...

DuneHwx

Just because the system is what it is doesn't make it right, good, or ethical.

VU2014

You can make a strong argument that if Krikke decides to stay in College that Valpo is a pretty good spot for him.

Hear me out.

Hands down, Ben will the feature and center piece of the Team next season. If he were to transfer, especially to a power 5 program, that likely would not be the case for him. As he has pro potential in Every league other than the NBA it's extremely important to show case ever aspect of his game.

He's familiar with his teammates and he knows how the coaching staff will use him. No where else can offer that.

Additionally, say what you will about Lottich, but Coach Gore is undeniably a hell of a big man Coach. Coach Gore is proven Coach at Developing Big Men and their game.

vu72

I guess I don't understand the whole scholarship thing.  I'm under the impression that it is a year to year thing--for either party.  If the coach wants to go in a different direction, why should he be judged as unethical?  If the player leaves--God knows that never happens ::)--no one claims that they are unethical by taking a free year of tuition etc and then moving on.

I personally don't understand why we bring a player in, give him a first rate education, and get basically nothing in return. As an example, (I certainly am not taking shots at the person here, just trying to understand the unethical comments). Emil (and maybe not a great example because of his health issues), but, nonetheless, he has scored a total of 30 points in four years.  At the same time he has gained a degree in civil engineering from one of the top undergrad engineering schools in the US.  Would we be unethical if we told him the type of player we were now looking for wasn't a 6'10" back to the basket guy but rather a 6'5" guy who could shoot from beyond the 3.  Just wondering...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

tiny707

VU72, happens all the time. Coaches suggest to players to transfer as they won't get much playing time. Wouldn't  be surprised if they suggested that to Cam. May have suggested to Emil but he said no because he wanted his Civil Engineering degree. I know there were some articles about Chris Collins pressing a player to transfer awhile back. Valpo is pretty ethical. They may suggest but not pressure a player to transfer.

tiny707

Agree VU2014. I think at this point Krikke is staying. In fact, he may even be recruiting a potential transfer for the open spot we have. We will see.

DuneHwx

You are mistaken about what it takes to be a valuable player on a team. The team has to run practices and someone has to play the other team. The product on the court is not only a product of the players on the court. That kid did the equivalent of a full time job in addition to his studies in time put in to doing what was asked of him to help the team.

usc4valpo

The issue is if the player on scholarship that is basically not wanted will go 100 percent for the team or if he is dead weight. We are in the "me" generation. It's a tough situation, but maybe there's something Valpo can do if he is a very good student.

VULB#62

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 22, 2023, 12:41:26 PM
https://twitter.com/lebronstein/status/1638559029340282883

SC, I'm really surprised you didn't react to this post.  ???

NWMS got knocked out in the second round this year of NCAA D-II. That's why he's free to look around.  Indiana Wesleyan also lost in the second round of the NAIAs.

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on March 22, 2023, 01:32:55 PMI personally don't understand why we bring a player in, give him a first rate education, and get basically nothing in return. As an example, (I certainly am not taking shots at the person here, just trying to understand the unethical comments). Emil (and maybe not a great example because of his health issues), but, nonetheless, he has scored a total of 30 points in four years.  At the same time he has gained a degree in civil engineering from one of the top undergrad engineering schools in the US.  Would we be unethical if we told him the type of player we were now looking for wasn't a 6'10" back to the basket guy but rather a 6'5" guy who could shoot from beyond the 3.  Just wondering...

Of course, he could have stayed in Denmark and gotten his degree for free.
Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

62 - nice catch! Yes, NWMSU lost early in a big upset. McCullum is looking for the right fit, and SUNY Buffalo has a talent pool to build something. He can't accomplish much more at NWMSU, but he likes his job.

I watched the FDU- FAU game, which was kind of painful to watch compared regarding game quality compared to other matchups in the second round.  The announcer, I think it was Steve Lappas, mentioned the key Division 2 transfers who joined FDU with the coach in a big turnaround from a 4-22 season. He mentioned higher level D2 players can play in lower level D1. I would also certainly say that with coaches, and there are many D2 schools that can defeat and in some cases whoop D1 teams.

IndyValpo

If you follow Verbal Commits on twitter you will see that Valpo has been very busy contacting potential transfers. No guarantee we get anyone but we are certainly looking.