• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers 2022/2023

Started by tiny707, March 06, 2023, 07:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuny98

Quote from: Dr. T on April 06, 2023, 09:49:43 AMAs pointed out, entering the transfer portal does not automatically equate to players leaving. Why not enter the transfer portal? What's the worst that can happen from the player's perspective? If they're of any D-1 caliber, they'll get some options on the table to leave and could end up somewhere that's a better fit (or one with more certainty). Additionally, there will be a new VU coach hired. It'll happen if he/she wants to re-recruit the players to his/her program. It's a win-win as I see it (from the player's perspective). From a fan's perspective, this is the LEAST involved I've been in many years. I do not know these players as I have in seasons past. I have no ties and relatively no investment. I watched games out of a sense of pride. Out of a sense of obligation to the program as an alum & lifelong fan. But I won't be upset if any/all of the players leave if that's what's best for them in their judgment. I'm ready for a new era. No offense to any current players or fans. That is just my opinion. I'm looking forward to a reset & getting to know the new players For those who stay; I'm honestly excited to get to know them as well because I honestly don't know them. Cheers to a new chapter!!! I'm looking forward to donating again for the first time in several years. I'm looking forward to renewing my season tickets! I'm looking forward to purchasing Valpo gear (I last purchased it several years ago). Let's go!

Correct me if I am wrong here, but once you enter the transfer portal, you are released from your scholarship for the next year right? So to essentially say no risk for a player may be misleading. As we have seen in the last few years, a lot of players enter transfer portal but never get picked up by a team. Obviously, if you played, and played fairly well, someone will be interested, but for those that rode the bench more there is the risk that you will get lost in the sea of transfers and incoming freshmen. So for some, waiting and trying to see if the new coach fits and work your way up may be better than not having the opportunity to play on a team at all.

chgovalpofan

I understand the point of entering the portal but I do agree there is a risk.  If you were a player the new coach is on the bubble of keeping, if you enter the portal, that decision is made. They are more likely not going to ask you to return if the portal doesn't work out. If you don't enter the portal, the new coach may keep you to see how you develop under his system. And you can make a decision upon meeting the new coach.  Hopefully he is coach the players are excited to play for.

tjjvalpo

I believe the last couple years, about 15-20% of players that entered the transfer portal, did not get picked up by another school. That hasn't been the case for Valpo players. More the case with lower mid-Majors.

Valpo1993

Quote from: tjjvalpo on April 06, 2023, 06:12:44 PM
I believe the last couple years, about 15-20% of players that entered the transfer portal, did not get picked up by another school. That hasn't been the case for Valpo players. More the case with lower mid-Majors.
That is because Lottich can recruit but can't coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: Valpo1993 on April 06, 2023, 07:42:03 PM
That is because Lottich can can't recruit but and can't coach.

I fixed it for you. If Lottich could recruit he probably would have had a better record and may not have been fired.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Valpo1993

Quote from: historyman on April 07, 2023, 02:32:49 AM
Quote from: Valpo1993 on April 06, 2023, 07:42:03 PM
That is because Lottich can can't recruit but and can't coach.

I fixed it for you. If Lottich could recruit he probably would have had a better record and may not have been fired.
Not necessarily..... you can be a good recruiter and a bad leader.    To recruit he just needed to be a good salesman.   That is why the good players would leave the program.    He got them to VU but then realized they need to get out of the program.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny707

Gonzaga available transfers:
1.) 6'5 guard Hunter Sallis: former 5*
2.) 6'3 PG Dominick Harris: former 4*
3.) 7'0 C Efton Reid: from LSU.

VULB#62

Brandon Newman. (FWIW, According to SBNation  Hammer & Nails Twitter account)

Graduate transfer. [Seems like 1 year of eligibility left, but could be two with covid year??]

6'5", 175 lbs. 

Junior year stats:  6.0 ppg, 3.1 RPG, 1.1 APG

NIL Value: $21K

Summary of H&N Assessment: Characterized as a player who had a very good freshman season but in subsequent seasons played with lots of unfulfilled potential and had a difficult time meeting high expectations.

Wasn't the turning point in Homer's career and VU's basketball's fortunes when Redmon and Schmidt transferred back home to Valparaiso back in 93-94? Could this be a selling point to Brandon?  Right now, his stats are better than anyone currently on the roster even though he wasn't a Purdue starter the last two seasons.

David81

Great, if sobering, piece by Paul Oren today on the challenges of the roster rebuild for next season.

This is like putting together an expansion team. Daunting but exciting. One thing is for certain: Valpo can offer talented kids a chance to play right away in 2023-24. And those with multiple years of eligibility could find a great new home. It's a 1-2 year window.

usc4valpo

Well, Kim Mulkey had 9 new players this year and it worked for her. I know, different situation but the transfer protocol is in full action. Time to get to work.

AlaskaCrusader19

https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1648030109675188226?s=20

Coach Powell has some work ahead of him to put a team on the floor this winter.

VUGrad1314

If we can match what Murray State did this past year with a new coach and a bunch of new players (11-9 6th place) I will be very happy and consider that a massive success for the start of the Powell era that leaves plenty to build on.

David81

Quote from: AlaskaCrusader19 on April 17, 2023, 01:33:51 PM
https://twitter.com/TVBOren/status/1648030109675188226?s=20

Coach Powell has some work ahead of him to put a team on the floor this winter.

With a bunch of scholarship slots open, if I'm a transfer who is itching to show the world that I should've been in the lineup, getting big minutes all along, coached by a super-promising new head coach who just came from one of the nation's best programs, then I'm now looking closely at Valpo.

Good, talented kids with chips on their shoulders have a great opportunity for a 2nd chance to shine.

valpotx

I didn't know that both Joe and Emil were still struggling with medical issues, so it makes more sense why we started out with an approach to get them some decent PT, and it just fell completely off after a few games.  I wish them well in their professional working careers moving forward.
"Don't mess with Texas"

tiny707

Adding Brandon Newman, Miguel Ayesa(shooter) and Messiah Jones(Simeon HS) would all be good gets if we could make it happen. Then just four more to fill..lol.

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on April 18, 2023, 01:38:27 AMI didn't know that both Joe and Emil were still struggling with medical issues, so it makes more sense why we started out with an approach to get them some decent PT, and it just fell completely off after a few games.  I wish them well in their professional working careers moving forward.
Didn't these two come in with Kithier and Anderson? If so, this shows what happens when you're constantly dealing with flawed players. Flaws can be that they are on the sidelines too often.

crusader05

Emil came in with Ben so he has done 4 years I believe. He is the player Paul wrote about that contracted Lyme disease I believe. I am unsure about Joe's concerns.

wh

chgovalpofan

It's hard to get excited about offers. Now commitments....  hoping with the new staff set we will have some really soon. 

VULB#62

Wonder if any of our guys in the portal will withdraw and return now that it's clear we have a helluva HC and staff?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 19, 2023, 10:30:21 AM
Wonder if any of our guys in the portal will withdraw and return now that it's clear we have a helluva HC and staff?

I doubt Roger would take them back.  He certainly is looking for higher level players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Not arguing that point, 72, but I always thought Max had a good up side and he is still a youngster. Time will tell as the roster fills out. The only short-term downside I see is that this new staff collectively is getting a later than most  start in the 2023 recruiting war.  Lots of slots to fill. But if Murray could do it, why not us?

And, knowing Roger, I suspect we are looking for very special players (high character, high talent, unselfish) who are harder to come by.

tiny707

Think we will get any players from Georgetown, Oklahoma, GCU or Gonzaga?

valpo64

I would think we have a shot at perhaps a couple of players from a couple of those schools you list namely GCU or Georgetown.