• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Let's speculate about assistant coaches

Started by humbleopinion, April 07, 2023, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: Valpower on April 29, 2023, 01:26:51 PM
Quote from: wh on April 27, 2023, 01:02:41 PM
Quote from: beacons23 on April 27, 2023, 12:01:30 PM
Quote from: wh on April 26, 2023, 03:05:06 PM
Hands down the highest profile staff in the MVC. It doesn't even need to be researched.

this is laughable

I'm glad I was able to bring a little joy your way. Maybe you would be willing to educate me about all the coach and assistant coach combinations in the MVC that our new staff is inferior to. There must be several for my comment to be laughable.
That would require research, which you forbade.  ;) Seriously, though, I think there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding our rebuild (more than the usual optimism after mediocre previous-season results and with little work done yet).  Many are not experts on the assistant-coaching ranks, so if you make extraordinary claims you'll be expected by some to provide extraordinary proof. I hope you're right, but I'd rather hear why these hires are good than how they rank in the MVC.

Yeah, I'm probably not going to undertake a research project to support a message board comment. I will say that I believe our new staff has some that credentials that pretty clearly stand above the rest, starting with a head coach that played and coached on final 4 teams, has intimate working knowledge of the most prolific offense in college basketball, was tutored by one the nation's most highly respected coaches in the business who turned an average mid-major program into a national powerhouse, who played professional basketball, who oozes charisma, etc. The assistants are impressive in their own right. Obviously, where they lag behind everyone is no proven results -yet. Time will tell whether impressive credentials result in equally impressive results. There you go.

tiny707

What about grad assistant positions? Have those been filled yet?

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on April 30, 2023, 07:30:45 AM
What about grad assistant positions? Have those been filled yet?

No. Thomas and Tevonn are now off the site.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Chairback

Seems like we are still short 1 assistant.

#1...

valporun

Kylen Butler, who was the Special Assistant to the Head Coach, has moved on to work with Marty Simmons at Eastern Illinois, so we are down one assistant coach. He had previous experience working alongside Coach Simmons in his time at Clemson, where Simmons was an assistant with Brad Brownell.

https://eiupanthers.com/news/2023/6/12/kylen-butler-joins-eiu-mens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

Pgmado

Quote from: valporun on June 13, 2023, 08:37:51 AM
Kylen Butler, who was the Special Assistant to the Head Coach, has moved on to work with Marty Simmons at Eastern Illinois, so we are down one assistant coach. He had previous experience working alongside Coach Simmons in his time at Clemson, where Simmons was an assistant with Brad Brownell.

https://eiupanthers.com/news/2023/6/12/kylen-butler-joins-eiu-mens-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

To be clear, Kylen Butler was not an assistant coach. The assistant coaches are Baldwin, Gordon and Moye.

Chairback

PK, But is there another one coming?

Specifically Lubos