• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2024

Started by tiny707, April 16, 2023, 08:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo64

You know we really do not know what type of team will be on the floor this coming season, or how the recruiting situation both in '23 and '24 will end up, roster makeup, or what kind of record the team will attain, but it sure is fun hearing all the hype, recruiting news, ARC renovation and in general ballooning enthusiasm for the MBB program, Coach Powell and Staff. In spite of all the uncertainties I am really looking forward to the coming season.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Ya know what's cool again?  There is so much excitement and information and opinions getting out that we here on the forum are duplicate posting on numerous strings cuz ya can't keep track of everything anymore. Like old times! Woo hoo!

FYI, the impetus for this cheery post is that I posted the same thing under the 2023 recruiting  string a couple of hours before (he'll be on the floor in November).  And I fully agree with 72 about how 'the staff' was the key tipping point. And Spoon's dad is from Gary.

valpopal

Valpo has offfered Jai Anthoni Bearden, a 6'7" forward from Arizona.

wh

Jai Anthoni Bearden is a Scout 4-star. That's 8 open offers for 2024.  :o

valpopal

Valpo has offered Caleb Harrison, a 6'9" PF from Alabama

[tweet]1678578428205838338[/tweet]

VULB#62

I guess that Roger is getting the word out that Valpo is gonna punch above its weight class.  Nuthin wrong with that.

VULB#62

But how does this work? If our 23 roster rolls over 100%,  we have no slots. And it appears that Roger's initial strategy is to recruit (and hopefully retain) young players on the premise that other programs are relying on xfers to fill positions.

Yikes! For 23-24 we may put the youngest team in the MVC on the floor this season.  We have 6 freshman (some preppies in there), 2 sophs, 2 juniors, and 2 seniors (both with a 5th year of eligibility) and one 24 commit.

Wouldn't it be wild if Powell can keep this nucleus together for 4 years?

This is gonna be a crazy ride.

vu84v2

Quote from: valpopal on July 13, 2023, 06:52:14 PM

The picture makes him look taller than Chet Holmgren and Wemby.

valpo95

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 13, 2023, 07:46:43 PM
But how does this work? If our 23 roster rolls over 100%,  we have no slots. And it appears that Roger's initial strategy is to recruit (and hopefully retain) young players on the premise that other programs are relying on xfers to fill positions.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

If Paul Oren can keep a simple spreadsheet (thanks Paul!) that shows the rosters by year, surely the coaching staff can do the same thing. The staff may have insight into the plans or injury status of some of the players, things that we the public would not know. In addition, it would be remarkable if in the days of a nearly wide-open transfer portal, every one of the incoming players stay for their second year. Some will figure out that they will get no playing time and transfer down, others may transfer up, and others a redshirt year. Trust the coaching staff!

crusader05

One other piece is I can see Roger and staff having real direct and honest convos with these players about their likely playing time and supporting some transferring if they think they won't get the minutes or attention that they wanted. I also think another big part of the offers is a PR tactic to get Valpo's name out there in different areas and different clubs and with different higher level recruits to send a message.

wh

MVC open offers, Class of 2024:
29 IN ST
27 IL ST
17 Murray
16 UIC
14 Bradley
13 Drake
  9 SIU
9 Valpo
  7 Belmont
  6 UNI
  1 MO ST
  0 E'ville

Top D--1 program example:
30 Kansas

Obviously, it's a common strategy to offer many times more players than you have opportunities; in fact, so much so that I'm wondering why Missouri State and Evansville are lagging so far behind the rest of the pack.

VULB#62

But isn't there a dark side to extending lots of '24 offers when, in the end, only a couple of slots might open up, and, say, 10 kids have bought in and verbally committed?  What do you say to the offered and verbally committed players you now don't need — sorry, we don't want you anymore?  Or do you manage that at the pre-verbal level?

When its only one or two or even three, the PR fallout is manageable, but when the numbers grow and the scope is going national (which, apparently Roger is) there can be some bad tastes left in people's mouths that can come back to haunt.

Just wondering..........

valpo95

There are two issues at work here.

First is the number of open scholarships in any year (or future years). The coaching staff knows or can estimate how many players they should expect to bring in.

Second, there are the number of open offers (see the post by wh). Typically, these offers are contingent and not open-ended. As an example, perhaps a team needs one and only one point guard. The staff evaluates and decides to make offers to three point guards, and once the first player accepts, the other two offers are no longer available. The conversation goes like this: "Player B, we really like your game. When we talked, we could see X minutes per game. Yet now that player A is committed, we just do not have the minutes available, and we are moving on with our scholarship offers because now our biggest need is a PF.  However, I've heard that Coach Z at University Z is looking for a point guard. If you want, I'd be happy to make an introduction. Good luck as you continue your career, and keep in touch!"  So, that is why sometimes the player accepts the offer shortly after it is made.

The reverse works as well - Player B might be grateful and blessed to get the offer from University A, yet is making an official visit to a dream school in a P5 conference next weekend. If Player B gets the P5 offer, University A is unlikely to to compete, and University A better have another player either on offer or in the wings.

VULB#62

It sounds like THIS is the Big Dance and the Final Four is just a national championship bb tournament.  :rotfl:

wh

Quote from: valpo95 on July 14, 2023, 01:34:43 PM
There are two issues at work here.

First is the number of open scholarships in any year (or future years). The coaching staff knows or can estimate how many players they should expect to bring in.

Second, there are the number of open offers (see the post by wh). Typically, these offers are contingent and not open-ended. As an example, perhaps a team needs one and only one point guard. The staff evaluates and decides to make offers to three point guards, and once the first player accepts, the other two offers are no longer available. The conversation goes like this: "Player B, we really like your game. When we talked, we could see X minutes per game. Yet now that player A is committed, we just do not have the minutes available, and we are moving on with our scholarship offers because now our biggest need is a PF.  However, I've heard that Coach Z at University Z is looking for a point guard. If you want, I'd be happy to make an introduction. Good luck as you continue your career, and keep in touch!"  So, that is why sometimes the player accepts the offer shortly after it is made.

The reverse works as well - Player B might be grateful and blessed to get the offer from University A, yet is making an official visit to a dream school in a P5 conference next weekend. If Player B gets the P5 offer, University A is unlikely to to compete, and University A better have another player either on offer or in the wings.

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you're saying that they have a pecking order that they follow. It must be the best way to go about things, but it seems so foreign to how I would recruit to fill a business need - contingent job offers to 30 candidates for 1 opening. I'm going to add this to my list of things I won't understand till I get to Heaven. lol

valpopal

No surprise here:

[tweet]1683285181988503552[/tweet]

valporun

A wild game of poker played between a bunch of chess playing coaches, isn't it?

wh

valpo64

Is there a list of offers we have made for the 24-25 season along with the status of the offers?    (signed, verbally committed, chances of signing with us)

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 13, 2023, 08:04:24 PM
Quote from: valpopal on July 13, 2023, 06:52:14 PM

The picture makes him look taller than Chet Holmgren and Wemby.

If he moves over to Brown Street in his later years instead of Beacon Hall do you think he will stay at Valpo?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

David81

Quote from: wh on November 08, 2023, 09:24:05 PM
https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1722443370398617991

Great news to nail down this signing!

VU's ability to sign, develop, and retain players like McNair is all on Coach Powell. I'm surmising that he's telling these young men something along the lines of...Don't worry about VU's recent record or the comparatively so-so facilities. If you want a chance to start and perhaps even star on an NCAA tournament-caliber team, and get a good college education while you're at it, then join us.