• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What if Powell's First Year is Horrible? Would that be a Failure?

Started by Just Sayin, April 28, 2023, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmack

It's so sad to me to watch grown men constantly cry and whine over a nickname and a mascot.  I think they are lame too.  But the extreme snowflake-y feelings about them is highly hypocritical, as these are the same people who called the anti-"crusader" crowd whiney.  Get over your pouty feelings about the mascot.  It's over. 

We are Valpo.  We are here to talk basketball.  It's just exhausting to hear grown adults whine over nothing endlessly.

To the actual point at hand....I expect it to be a tough year under touch circumstances.  With the heavy transfer environment of college hoops now, coaches don't need 5-6 years to bring in "their guys".  Three years should be plenty of time to tell the Rev's tale.  I am here to support him (even if he says just unspeakable and hurtful things to our boomer fans, like "Beacon")

Dr. T

Horrible, by definition per Merriam Webster, is as follows:

Marked by or arousing painful and intense fear, dread, dismay, or aversion: marked by or arousing horror
a horrible accident.

Extremely bad or unpleasant, a horrible mistake

I cannot think of anything that would denote a "horrible" first season for the Rev. Not happening. Plain & Simple.

usc4valpo

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 01, 2023, 03:01:18 PM
I get it cmack --- but the mascots still suck.

So you are thinking that the mascots are a failure but not a horrible failure. Agree.

valpo64

Don't know what is worse...the mascots or the name Beacons.  Let's face it, who cares?  They are both bad.  :)

usc4valpo

The mascots.they should do a halftime show with Dora the Explorer.

VALPO LI

Quote from: valpo64 on May 01, 2023, 05:14:42 PM
Don't know what is worse...the mascots or the name Beacons.  Let's face it, who cares?  They are both bad.  :)
A bad nickname, a bad set of mascots and 6 years of bad basketball.....Valpo hit rock bottom.  The positive is the administration cleaned house and there is only one way to go from here and that is up!!!! And yes, the pups and lighthouses are coming along for the ride.
Shine on Vu

VULB#62

Quote from: valpo64 on May 01, 2023, 05:14:42 PM!!! And yes, the pups and lighthouses are coming along for the ride.

If I could have liked your last post 6 more times I would have  :rotfl: :rotfl:

usc4valpo

Anyway, to be blunt, complaining if Powell has a bad year is totally bogus, especially after 7 years of Lottich, and even worse, 4 years of Osteen (Carlson).

justducky

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 01, 2023, 07:08:23 PMAnd yes, the pups and lighthouses are coming along for the ride.

If they can play basketball maybe Roger can find them an open scholarship. I mean in recent years Sackey was a Greyhound and several of our centers had lighthouse mobility.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 01, 2023, 07:46:32 PM
Anyway, to be blunt, complaining if Powell has a bad year is totally bogus, especially after 7 years of Lottich, and even worse, 4 years of Osteen (Carlson).

May I suggest a mild edit: "and even much worse"? 🤣🤣🤣

vu72

Mascots are meant to be non-threatening figures meant to entertain children. See the Ohio State Buckeye. Everybody get a grip!  This discussion ended months ago. GO BEACONS!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2023, 10:35:03 AM
Mascots are meant to be non-threatening figures meant to entertain children the child in all of us. See the Ohio State Buckeye. Everybody get a grip!  This discussion ended months ago. GO BEACONS!!

There.  I fixed it for you  ;D

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2023, 10:35:03 AMMascots are meant to be non-threatening figures meant to entertain children. See the Ohio State Buckeye.

Glad you brought this up! The non-threatening buckeye flowers are deadly toxic to bees and nothing can survive eating quantities of buckeye nuts but squirrel.  :o  I think I should start a buckeye extinction movement. Anybody want to join?

vu72

Quote from: justducky on May 02, 2023, 12:41:44 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2023, 10:35:03 AMMascots are meant to be non-threatening figures meant to entertain children. See the Ohio State Buckeye.

Glad you brought this up! The non-threatening buckeye flowers are deadly toxic to bees and nothing can survive eating quantities of buckeye nuts but squirrel.  :o I think I should start a buckeye extinction movement. Anybody want to join?
[/b]

Spoken like somebody who is a Michigan fan!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

4throwfan

It's unfortunate that this is so divisive.  I'll be glad when we're talking about games and go back to debating NCAA seedings like we did years ago.

I'm admittedly not part of the pro-dog group.  I think that my problem is that I like to wear VU stuff to the games, and I have a hard time picturing the image of those dogs on the front of my sweatshirt(s).

I'll be curious as to whether the university goes all in, and puts those on a lot of the gear.  If they do, I'll be curious as to the sales numbers.  If sales are booming my fellow anti-doggers and me will need to re-think.  People tend to vote with their money.

valpo64

I think you have already seen the results that the "Beacon" nickname and the dog mascots have generated regarding sales of the new nickname  on  VU gear.  To me it appears that sales are way down on shirts, sweatshirts, etc. that have those designations.  Just look at people attending basketball or football games...you just don't see that many wearing the new look stuff.  I have bought clothing since the changes have been made but NONE of it has the "Beacon" designation.  Let's call it like it is...the changes were a flop.  We will just have to live with them.  Educators don't like to admit mistakes.

cmack

Omg, now we are speculating on merchandise sales based on zero information and completely misunderstanding what the point of a mascot.  The dogs are not going on any gear.  The soul purpose is to stand around and high five children.  The gear will focus on Valpo and the shield with some Beacons.  I mean honestly.  It worries me that these things are such a struggle here.  I can't imagine how often you cry and whine to your spouses/families/coworkers every day about a college student in a dog costume at a game that you attended 3 months ago. 

No incoming recruit or potential game attendee gives a damn about the dogs or the Beacon.  They aren't refusing to come over a stuffed animal suit.  They can buy all the "VALPO" gear they want and all the shield gear they want. I agree with Paul.  With each year, incoming classes well care zero percent that Valpo ever was a Crusader or ever had a creepy, sad-looking Crusader mascot loafing around the sidelines.  Only the old and whiney will shake their fist at the cloud that is the mascot changes.

Anyone wanna talk basketball?  Seems like an exciting time in the program to do so!

valpo64

I agree with what you say...I just think it's kind of funny seeing how so many people get worked up about the name and mascots, which are a joke in themselves.   After what we all have gone through the last few years with our MBB program we all deserve to have a little fun now and then.  We all look forward to the upcoming season for sure.

vu72

Quote from: cmack on May 03, 2023, 09:05:21 AM
Omg, now we are speculating on merchandise sales based on zero information and completely misunderstanding what the point of a mascot.  The dogs are not going on any gear.  The soul purpose is to stand around and high five children.  The gear will focus on Valpo and the shield with some Beacons.  I mean honestly.  It worries me that these things are such a struggle here.  I can't imagine how often you cry and whine to your spouses/families/coworkers every day about a college student in a dog costume at a game that you attended 3 months ago. 

No incoming recruit or potential game attendee gives a damn about the dogs or the Beacon.  They aren't refusing to come over a stuffed animal suit.  They can buy all the "VALPO" gear they want and all the shield gear they want. I agree with Paul.  With each year, incoming classes well care zero percent that Valpo ever was a Crusader or ever had a creepy, sad-looking Crusader mascot loafing around the sidelines.  Only the old and whiney will shake their fist at the cloud that is the mascot changes.

Anyone wanna talk basketball?  Seems like an exciting time in the program to do so!

What he said!

David81

The mascot question is a symbol for deeper cultural tensions within the VU community, just like the art sale proposal. It's not "just" about a mascot or "just" about selling paintings. There's more beneath that surface. And thus, the mascot change, and -- if it goes through -- the art sale, leave lasting bad feelings.

I did not feel strongly about the mascot change, but I know others still feel very differently. For those who opposed it, I hope that a winning basketball team will help to overcome those feelings. And if the team happens to reach the heights of Coach Powell's ambitions for it, I would want those folks -- including many with whom I have the privilege of interacting (and occasionally sparring 🤓) with on this board -- to be able to celebrate those moments unconditionally.

So, here's to a next great run for this basketball program.

justducky

Soon Roger will sign some players and I will stop all my idle time banter crap. Until then it is kind of fun.  :) Yeah I know I should get a life.

valpo64

Glad to hear some other people are having fun also.  :)      A passing thought...maybe the student section could be called the "dog pound."  Sorry, just having a little fun.    Let's play ball!!!

Dr. T

Personally, I'm at the point where I've moved beyond the mascots, arena, etc. as (for me) they were displaced by frustrations with the overall decline & state of affairs of the VU MBB program.

After they made the move, cut ties with Lottich, & brought in the Rev - I'm all in. Yes, it could be a bumpy road as the flight takes off, and we may hit some turbulence. But, I'm here for the ride. I'm back on the donor list and will renew my season tickets. Get some good merch out there in the fall & I'll buy it. Put some NIL things out there for alum, donors, & fans - I'll invest.

Colors, mascots, & crappy arenas aside - let's go!!!