• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The 2023-24 Men's Basketball Schedule Thread

Started by jtm, May 16, 2023, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

Well then. This is an exciting development!

tiny707

Matt Olinger connection at Virginia Tech. Came from Vanderbilt when Bryce Drew and Roger Powell were there.

crusadermoe

This $95,000 buy game won't hurt the budget.  Good work.  It sure helps to have a well connected coach!

VALPO LI

Just a guess but playing the Hokies may be part of the East Coast trip to complete the Home and Home with Elon which is just about a 3 hour drive south of Blacksburg.  Either way Valpo gets paid to play an ACC school....I like it!
Shine on Vu

valpopal

The following was added yesterday online at Phear the Phoenix. Wouldn't it be great if Valpo could get Rowdy Broekhoff to visit for the game?

On Wednesday, November 15th, Green Bay will face the Valparaiso Beacons for the first time since they left the Horizon League for the Missouri Valley Conference in 2017.

Like GB, Valpo is also a program in transition after firing their head coach after last season.  Since moving to the MVC the Beacons (formerly Crusaders) have struggled to reach the winning ways they had become accustomed to in their previous conferences and will look to rebuild under first-time head coach Roger Powell.

The game will be a one-off guarantee game instead of the start of a home-and-home series, a potentially winnable contest but certainly a nice chunk of change for the Phoenix regardless.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on July 13, 2023, 08:21:13 AM
The following was added yesterday online at Phear the Phoenix. Wouldn't it be great if Valpo could get Rowdy Broekhoff to visit for the game?

On Wednesday, November 15th, Green Bay will face the Valparaiso Beacons for the first time since they left the Horizon League for the Missouri Valley Conference in 2017.

Like GB, Valpo is also a program in transition after firing their head coach after last season.  Since moving to the MVC the Beacons (formerly Crusaders) have struggled to reach the winning ways they had become accustomed to in their previous conferences and will look to rebuild under first-time head coach Roger Powell.

The game will be a one-off guarantee game instead of the start of a home-and-home series, a potentially winnable contest but certainly a nice chunk of change for the Phoenix regardless.[/i]

Whoa.  We are doing a buy with UWGB?  That's creative.  To make this work, there's gotta be a heckuva lot of promotion to get at least 3,000+ butts in the ARC seats to pay for it. I like the go-for-it approach. So many things are changing around this program in so short a timeframe.

crusadermoe

We paid for a UWGB game?   Hopefully its a modest amount above travel costs.

But I guess we need to fill the schedule and we did get a windfall from Va. Tech.

VALPO LI

Quote from: Pgmado on May 24, 2023, 07:39:12 PM
Almost certain GB will be at the ARC this year in a game that was already finalized before Preston exit/Powell entrance.

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 13, 2023, 10:39:34 AM
Quote from: valpopal on July 13, 2023, 08:21:13 AM

The game will be a one-off guarantee game instead of the start of a home-and-home series, a potentially winnable contest but certainly a nice chunk of change for the Phoenix regardless.[/i]

Whoa.  We are doing a buy with UWGB?  That's creative.  To make this work, there's gotta be a heckuva lot of promotion to get at least 3,000+ butts in the ARC seats to pay for it. I like the go-for-it approach. So many things are changing around this program in so short a timeframe.

Like this game or not I think credit goes to the old regime for this scheduled game.  Despite the Phoenix 3-29 record last year I like this game, early in the season game vs. an old Horizon foe back at the ARC.
Shine on Vu

Valpo89

Green Bay is a good example of a program that has sunk to lower levels than Valpo, after one time being among the best mid-majors in the nation under Dick Bennett.
They've had some halfway decent teams since the 1990s, but not many.
So, as bad as things have been in Valpo the last 6-7 years, it's not as bad as what Green Bay has endured on the men's side at least.

justducky

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 13, 2023, 02:39:46 PMGreen Bay is a good example of a program that has sunk to lower levels than Valpo, after one time being among the best mid-majors in the nation under Dick Bennett.
They've had some halfway decent teams since the 1990s, but not many.

Dick Bennet always gets the credit but we played some pretty good Brian Wardle teams as well. We didn't appreciate his coaching skill back then.  ;)

AB

Wardle did a good job of recruiting, had some nice teams. Bennett was on another level good. Bunch of no name guys except for his son and Jeff Nordgaard. His upset of Cal and and near victory over Purdue the next year. Mike Hideman did a good job keeping the ball rolling and had some really good records. Kowalczyk was competitive, Not sure why Linc Darner didn't work out.  Phoenix are a complete dumpster fire at the moment!

VULB#62

The Darner firing was totally swimming up stream against logic. Something behind the scenes was the cause.

crusadermoe

The team name "Phoenix" always struck me as odd for Green Bay.  I don't picture a bird rising from a fire very often in Green Bay when it usually about  -10 in the winter and 40 in the summer.   :P 

The Green Bay Icemen or Snowmen might be a good re-brand to get some attention?

usc4valpo

wh

I just looked at Verbal Commits. I thought he have 12 scholarship players committed for '23-24, but I only see 11 on VC (I think). Does anyone know?

valpopal

Quote from: wh on July 17, 2023, 03:46:42 PM
I just looked at Verbal Commits. I thought he have 12 scholarship players committed for '23-24, but I only see 11 on VC (I think). Does anyone know?
Kaspar Sepp is not listed.

NotBryceDrew

Seems like at this point we have 7 games set. Looking for 4 more.
Thinking @P5, H/H, H/H, Buy

VALPO LI

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on July 18, 2023, 11:20:30 AM
Seems like at this point we have 7 games set. Looking for 4 more.
Thinking @P5, H/H, H/H, Buy

No Non D1? - bold thinking 🤔
With Illinois and Virginia Tech on the schedule I would lean more towards a H/H, Chicago St type game, Non -D1 and per perhaps a MAC team.
Shine on Vu

historyman

Quote from: crusadermoe on July 15, 2023, 12:17:38 PM
The team name "Phoenix" always struck me as odd for Green Bay.  I don't picture a bird rising from a fire very often in Green Bay when it usually about  -10 in the winter and 40 in the summer.   :P 

The Green Bay Icemen or Snowmen might be a good re-brand to get some attention?

The indoor football team that also plays at the Resch Center where UWGB plays is appropriately named. Wouldn't you agree?

Green Bay Blizzard - Official Website

smz ad
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

tjjvalpo

I really like the idea of playing past conference opponents. I think it is a chance to reconnect with some nostalgia for the fan base. I always seemed like in the past that was not even an option.

Valpo89

IUPUI has been one of the worst Division I programs in the country for the last 2-3 years.
They can only go up, theoretically.

justducky

Quote from: Valpo89 on July 21, 2023, 11:57:27 AMIUPUI has been one of the worst Division I programs in the country

They have been one of the worst and we had been trying to join them. For this moment in time we probably deserve each other. On the brighter side this could be a good chance for an out of conference win so I'm happy they are coming.

VULB#62

Better a weak D-I than a good D-II or NAIA, no?

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 21, 2023, 01:37:47 PM
Better a weak D-I than a good D-II or NAIA, no?

I'm glad you asked. From a team NET perspective, it's better to play a non-D1 than a weak D-1. From a "who's going to help make us better" perspective, schedule the weak D-1 team every time. Non-D-1 matchups are throw away games that benefit absolutely no one. The last thing we should be focused on in the beginning of a program rebuild is some minor theoretical difference in NET points.

Edit: Not to bash the previous coaching staff (now I will  ;)), I got the feeling somewhere along the way that Luke's annual list of excuses for scheduling non-D1 teams had more to do with padding their season win total than anything else.