• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - IUPUI 11/10/23 Powell D1 Opener

Started by talksalot, November 07, 2023, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

The LAST time we will ever play this team....

We have not played them since 12/20/2012, when we beat them 89-69.   We had 5 players in Double Figures:  Broekhoff, Kenney, VanWijk, Boggs and Capobianco.   Vashil Fernandez played 1 minute and got 1 rebound.

SO... You ask "Why are we tipping off so late?"   Have we got a deal for you!    Friday night is a double-header in the ARC.  the OUTSTANDING Volleyball team has a revenge match with Drake starting at 5pm.  YOUR BASKETBALL TICKETS ARE GOOD FOR THIS GAME TOO!     What a great opportunity to support the Volleyball program. 

The Jaguars played Spaulding University Eagles (Downtown Louisville, 1500 students) at the IUPUI home arena (Indiana Farmers Coliseum) for their regular season opener on Monday night...

IUPUI (1-0) plays in front of a record crowd of 4,867 at Indiana Farmers Coliseum:  Fun Fact:  That attendance is more than the total number of people to watch Spaulding during ALL of 2022-23 season combined home and away.

INDIANAPOLIS - The IUPUI basketball team kicked off all of college basketball with a home court win over visiting Spalding on Monday (Nov. 6), 70-63, before a record setting crowd of 4,867 on NCAA 'Readers Become Leaders' Day. Junior Jlynn Counter tallied a game-high 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting and Abdou Samb added 10 points and four boards off the bench in the win.

"It was very exciting, just being out (there)," graduate transfer Qwanzi Samuels said following his IUPUI debut. "It was definitely exciting with all the kids. I'm just happy we got the win, really.

"We played together as a team. We've got things to work on, but excited we got the win today."

Anthony Dillard paced three Spalding players in double-digits with 19 points and eight rebounds.

IUPUI shot a respectable 43.1 percent from the floor and led from wire-to-wire against the NCAA Division III opponent.

The Coliseum was lively from the outset as elementary school kids began piling into their seats nearly an hour before the 11:00 a.m. tipoff, which marked the first game in the nation for the 2023-24 season. The Jaguars didn't disappoint, surging out to a 12-2 lead in the opening six-plus minutes. The lead stayed in double-digits for the bulk of the first half before Spalding cut it to 33-25 at the break.

IUPUI (1-0) tried to land an early knockout blow behind Counter, but consistently saw the Golden Eagles counterpunch to keep within striking distance. An 11-0 run pushed the lead out to 64-47 with 6:50 to play as DJ Jackson scored six points during the burst and John Egbuta capped it with a driving layup on the left side.

The Jaguars went scoreless over the final three-plus minutes with the outcome in hand as Spalding cut the final margin to seven.

Vincent Brady II, Jackson and Kidtrell Blocker all finished with eight points and Qwanzi Samuels and Yves Nkomba closed with six apiece in starting roles. Samuels grabbed a team-high seven rebounds in 22 minutes.

"It felt being out there with the team. We went through a lot of obstacles but, just overcoming them and we got the dub today," Blocker said. "We're still getting into our roles, but I just feel like there's chemistry overall."

IUPUI held Spalding to 42 percent shooting and just 2-of-10 from three-point range. The Jaguars bench scored 30 of the team's 70 points as reserve firepower came in the form of Samb, Brady and Jackson. Jackson's eight points came in under 12 minutes on 3-of-6 shooting.

IUPUI will return to action on Friday (Nov. 10) when it treks to Valparaiso for an 8:00 p.m. Central (9 Eastern) tip-off on ESPN+.

##   Player               GS   MIN   FG   3PT   FT   ORB-DRB   REB   PF   A   TO   BLK   STL   PTS
0   Counter, Jlynn         *   29   8-13   1-2   3-7   1-3   4   2   2   2   0   1   20
8   Blocker, Kidtrell         *   23   3-7   0-2   2-2   0-1   1   1   2   4   0   1   8
7   Samuels, Qwanzi      *   22   2=5   0-2   2-2   3-4   7   2   0   2   0   0   6
15   Nkomba, Yves         *   14   2-2   0-0   2-2   1-1   2   1   0   1   0   1   6
4   Monroe, Bryce         *   16   0-4   0-1   0-0   0-1   1   2   0   0   0   1   0
9   Samb, Abdou              22   2-4   0-0   6-7   3-1   4   0   0   0   1   0   10
1   Brady II, Vincent           24   3-8   2-6   0-0   0-2   2   2   1   2   0   1   8
13   Jackson, DJ              12   3-6   0-0   2-2   1-2   3   1   2   1   0   1   8
2   Egbuta, John              16   2-7   0-2   0-0   2-0   2   2   1   0   0   1   4
12   Jarrard, Armon              15   0-1   0-1   0-0   0-2   2   0   1   1   0   2   0
10   Dewitt, Cooper                6   0-1   0-1   0-0   0-0   0   0   0   0   0   1   0
14   Allen, Braden                1   0-0   0-0   0-0   0-0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
TM   TEAM                       0   0-0   0-0   0-0   0-0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
   Totals   -              200   25-58    2-10     17-22   11-17   28   13   9   13   1   10   70

SU   IUPUI
FG%       .424   .431
3FG%     .200   .176
FT%     .846   .773
RB     32   28
TO     20   13
STL       6   10

Spaulding had more:   Second Chance Points: 17 (8)   Fast Break Points: 13 (12) Points off Turnovers: 19 (16)

covufan

Am I remembering correctly that IUPUI played at a gym in the Natatorium?

We pull away late in second half for 77 - 64 win. 

AB

wh

From an athletic standpoint they are merely hanging out a new shingle.

As IUPUI splits, new athletic director ready to lead IU Indianapolis

"IUPUI will officially end on June 30, 2024. All IUPUI programs will become a part of IU Indianapolis by July 2024, except for the schools of engineering, technology and computer science, which will become part of the Purdue system.

As aforementioned, IU Indianapolis will retain all athletic programs and compete in the Horizon League."

https://www.wthr.com/amp/article/sports/college/new-athletic-director-ready-for-iupui-iu-indianapolis-transformation-purdue-university/531-92e989bf-a382-426a-adca-ced510f82be8

vu84v2

"The Jaguars played Spaulding University Eagles (Downtown Louisville, 1500 students) at the IUPUI home arena (Indiana Farmers Coliseum) for their regular season opener on Monday night..."

Did not know that Judge Schmales grandson had a university named after him.

Also, does this mean that you cannot major in engineering, computer science or other tech fields and play sports for IU-Indianapolis?

usc4valpo

tjjvalpo

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on November 07, 2023, 03:33:36 PM
"The Jaguars played Spaulding University Eagles (Downtown Louisville, 1500 students) at the IUPUI home arena (Indiana Farmers Coliseum) for their regular season opener on Monday night..."

Did not know that Judge Schmales grandson had a university named after him.

Also, does this mean that you cannot major in engineering, computer science or other tech fields and play sports for IU-Indianapolis?

I guess the medical school, run out of IU Hospital, next door to Riley Children's Hospital, will fall under the auspices of IU Indianapolis?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

IUI  75
Valpo  89

We'll see if the momentum from the Trinity Christian game flows through to this IU Indianapolis game and the Beacons keep feeling the "brotherhood of light."
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

Yea their main gym that they play volleyball n basketball in is next to the 4000 seat, world class natatorium. I remember VU playing them at Bankers Life as well!

VU 81
Jags 68

historyman

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on November 09, 2023, 03:09:15 PM
Yea their main gym that they play volleyball n basketball in is next to the 4000 seat, world class natatorium. I remember VU playing them at Bankers Life as well!

VU 81
Jags 68

FYI, IUPUI moved over to the Indiana Farmers Coliseum at the Indiana State Fairgrounds on the east side of Indy on 38th Street several years ago. Some people in Indy call the State Fair, White Expo. As opposed to the National Black Expo which used to be held in Indy until Gov. Pence pissed them off with Indiana's LGBTQ laws. Now the National Black Expo brings $millions$ to Chicago.

Indianapolis, Indiana - Google Maps

cornonthe

Alright, I'll take a stab at it...99-88...we get to see the uptempo offense against another mid-major and it won't disappoint!!! At least, I hope...

AB

Over under 3,200 in attendance.

Over under 8 three pointers made

tjjvalpo

wh

The Valparaiso Beacons (1-0) play the IUPUI Jaguars (1-0) as 4.5-point favorites on Friday, November 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN+. The point total in the matchup is 142.5.

VALPO LI

My  :twocents:
69-61
Beacons
Attendance just under 3,200
(would love to be proven wrong on this one)
But as others have said you gotta win to get butts in the seats.
Over 8 (3pters)
Band members (Over) 20. ;)
Light Em Up Beacons!!!!!!
Shine on Vu

talksalot

Quote from: wh on November 09, 2023, 09:55:40 PM
The Valparaiso Beacons (1-0) play the IUPUI Jaguars (1-0) as 4.5-point favorites on Friday, November 10, 2023 at 9:00 PM ET on ESPN+. The point total in the matchup is 142.5.

I'll take the over on both the spread and the total.  That line is predicting a 73-69 kinda game... Heck, we put 62 up in the first half the other day...

I'll take the under on the 3200 attendance.  Might get a spike due to the Volleyball game, but late Friday night start, with VHS playing in the Regional football game at Merrillville.  Might also get a spike from all of the parents in town for the senior day at Football on Saturday.   Hoping the 6th man student section is out in force. 

I'll take the OVER on the 3 pointers. 

The last time we played them...we won 89-69... I'm feeling a repeat. 

vu84v2

I like Valpo to cover the spread and I like the over. My suspicion is that Valpo can score, but that the team defense needs to make progress.

I also like the over a 3s. Well under 3200 on attendance - Friday nights are tough nights to get attendance unless you are playing a really good opponent.

vok22

Our half court offense is putrid. I really like what I see when we are able to push the pace, it usually ends in a very good look, but it's been a challenge to speed the game up. We are reallllllly going to need to play better in the half court if we are going to avoid a ton of 25 point losses in conference play.

JD24

I don't disagree about the half court offense being rather sluggish.

This a situation in which we get to see if Coach Powell can make adjustments at halftime to get his best scorers going. We think he can recruit and he's good at the rah rah stuff but his mark will be made by what happens on the court.

I think he may have to shorten the rotation for some Schweiger was out of gas after about 8 mins and I thought he struggled a bit after that.

JD24

On another note...how stupid is it that the referees don't know who's ball it is prior to the start of the 2nd half. That's established prior to everyone leaving the court when the first half ends. Either the referee crew is inept or the score/clock people didn't do what they are supposed to do. I'll guess they are volunteers?

mj

We've seem to hit a rough spot. Going to be hard to beat anyone if the 3's don't fall.
I believe that we will win.