• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #2 - IUPUI 11/10/23 Powell D1 Opener

Started by talksalot, November 07, 2023, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

There have been some possessions in the second half where if the person with the ball would have made one more pass we would have had an open shot.

JD24

Coach might want to suggest to Jerome Palm that bouncing the ball two or three times in the paint before either taking a bad shot or having the ball taken the other way as he's done at least 3 times this game might best be eliminated from his game.

He's been a beast on the boards however.

hailcrusaders

#CrusadersForever

mj

Well...we knew it was going to be a long season.

We're not gonna shoot 12.5% from 3 every night (I hope)

Cooper is a beast. And I like Ola's game. But we don't have a ton of depth this season.

I'm want to know more about what Edwards said near the end of the game. Did he really get ejected? That is troubling, if true.
I believe that we will win.

vok22

As somebody who anticipated this game to be close and would've been content with just a win, that was embarrassing. Couldn't execute simple passes in the half court. Didn't look like we wanted to play as a team. Player gets ejected. Never mind the poor shooting night, which will happen from time to time.

AB

Growing pains. live and die by the three. Youth and inexperience showed on defense.  Palm gave great effort. Valley games...grind it out in the half court. How will we be able to speed teams up? IUPUI, not that impressive. Beatable. UWGW next week, they are really bad.

covufan

IUPUI played well in second half. Cold shooting on our part. I liked the way we got to the line. Our offensive rebounding was great, as was theirs unfortunately. Palm and Schwieger will have their hands full rebounding against much of our MVC schedule. Need some help on boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD24

tiny707

historyman

There are some big holes in the Beacons game.

We are who we thought we would be.

Rebounding was not awful but shooting was awful.

This IUPUI team will finish in the lowest quarter of the Horizon League.

It will be very interesting to see if Coach Powell can have his team rebound from this loss and barely beat a poor Green Bay team.

Jerome Palm must score the easy ones. There is no excuse!

The Beacons have a long, long way to go if they want to win playing way up tempo like Coach Powell wants them to play.

IUPUI's #4 from San Francisco was a real spark plug that really put them up at a great time so they could coast to a win.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

It will be interesting to see how this team responds.

Not sure what was said to Counter, but probably wasn't about what route IUPUI was taking back to Indy.

I saw potential in our youth, and Palm was good. 

8 for 31 in second half won't close many games with a win.

Get a little better each week. 

This team will learn together.

may know

Ultimately, nothing this season is going to matter, and it never was. Powell was hired late so there wasn't enough time to recruit his ideal team.

The purpose of this season will be to teach fans a lesson in appreciating the effort that goes into Valpo basketball, and to enjoy it no matter the outcome.

valpofb16

IUPUI basketball situation is very bad. To the point they've had to have tryouts to field a full team.

Valpos is not that bad and still have full belief in Coach Powell. Bad loss to start his division 1 career.

Beacs will be better by the end of the season. Large gap to bridge to MVC

humbleopinion

Counter seems to be quite the jerk.  He had an altercation with Stafford early in the game, and I wonder if he got into Isaiah's head.  At this level it shouldn't happen. I can only imagine what Counter said or did to Jaxson as he (Counter) left the game.

The game reinforced my concerns about shooting that I had after the scrimmage and exhibition game.  After the Trinity game I hoped that those two earlier appearances were anomalies.  Now I fear that the anomaly was the strong shooting performance against the Trolls.  Still it showed possibilities.

We have an emerging star in Cooper, and I really like what I have seen from Edwards.  I guess we'll have to continue to look for positive aspects from the stats other than the team point totals.
Beamin' Beacons

tiny707

Playing a small point guard major minutes that can't score has and will hurt us. Also, play Scroggins at this point.

JD24

Quote from: tiny707 on November 11, 2023, 07:50:59 AMPlaying a small point guard major minutes that can't score has and will hurt us. Also, play Scroggins at this point.
DaVeiro gets the ball up the court to the top of the 3 point line really quick which is great. It appears his offensive game ends there. He won't shoot and won't go to the hole. I suspect that, if me and others on the board have noticed this, that a collegiate basketball program may have picked up on this. This leaves Valpo two offensive players short on every possession. Palm should not be handling the ball the way he was last night and/or he's got to make the point blank shots he gets.

With that said, there were a lot of traits I saw last night which I recall from the last few years. Each year I'd have a guy on the court who I'd want to forcibly remove from the court if I were running things. Donovan Clay and Sheldon Edwards come to mind. They of the 1 on 5 drives to the hoop. Now Valpo seems to have 3-4 candidates for this honor as that's what was happening last night. Piled on top of the 3 pointers taken without feet being set and dribbling all over the place and this was not a pretty effort.

Scroggins? Where is he?

valpo64

DaViero is no different this season than his past .  As was just mentioned, once he gets to half court he is done.  He can't shoot, create,  get to the bucket or play defense against anyone he guards, most of which are bigger and stronger than he.  We can't be playing 4 vs. 5 when we are on offense.  He will be MIA once the MVC season begins, if not before.

However, it is still early and things will develop as the season progresses, especially in the area of who gets playing time.

usc4valpo

As expected, it will be a long season and Valpo needs lots and lots of talent. It will be cool to see how this team grows and improves.

tiny707

Stats: Darius tied Cooper for
Most minutes at 36 and had one point. Jahari played six minutes and doubled the points by Darius with two points.

Old Timer

I am sure that Coach has a long list of issues on his clipboard of things that need to be addressed. Probably all of the comments already put forth on this board are already there. After watching the replay the list will double. It is almost like playing whack a mole. Fix one thing and another pops up. We have had three contests with each one presenting more issues. Keeping in mind that we almost have a completely new team and essentially a rookie head coach, it may take longer than usual to show improvement. With Illinois in a week and Drake coming soon time is not on our side. Incidentally, language is usually not a reason for a level two technical. My guess is after looking at the monitor, a greater issue was observed.

valpopal

I think we now see Valpo can get away with a point guard that doesn't score when the other guards put up good numbers, as Stafford (20), Edwards (16), and Williamson (16) did in the Trinity Christian game. However, when they are not compensating for DeAveiro's lack of point production—especially Williamson, who for some reason only saw the court for 6 minutes last night after playing 20 minutes in the previous game—the offense is going to fall short, especially against D-1 opponents.

Also, even given that the high school football team played in Merrillville last night, it was disappointing that a Friday night game against a D-1 in-state team drew only 1809 people, less that the 1900 that attended a Monday night game against a non-D1 team.

tiny707

Spot on Valpopal. I am not saying start Jahari. I would be happy if he got 12 minutes and Darius got 30 minutes. Cooper looked gassed at times too with 36 minutes. The Rev is learning too this season. We will see what happens next game.

wh

There are 200 player minutes to distribute. The only reason 1 player should be awarded 40 minutes by himself is if he is a constant scoring threat. Normally, when you have players who cannot score, you try to slow the game down, not speed it up.

justducky

Our spoty play and the game result shouldn't surprise because nothing in this first month and year of transition will be easy. Every game will reviel more but looks like lots of holes to be grown into or filled by future recruits.

Bumbo

Disagree. Watch the tape especially in the first half Darius got guys at least 3-4 wide open shots that weren't made. He certainly can be more aggressive attacking the rim and trying to get his own in the midrange for sure but he's out there primarily to get other people shots which he did very well in my opinion.  Who else on this roster can find others shots like that ?