• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoHoops

Quote from: FWalum on March 22, 2012, 11:06:25 AM
Quote from: historyman on March 22, 2012, 10:30:31 AMOne thing we know for sure is that it won't be held at an NCAA institution. Valpo, ND, Purdue, etc. are all out of the running.
I really want to know what the criteria is for the NCAA decisions on these playing venues.  Are they allowing exceptions for the IHSAA?  Girl's State tournament games were held in Indiana State's arena yet they disallowed the use of campus facilities for things like holiday tournament and the like.  If the facility doubles as a community facility and university home court is that ok??  Examples would be the Memorial Coliseum here in Fort Wayne or the Ford Center in Evansville.  If these facilities are not allowed to host tournaments then this is a big blow to many communities, and if they are then how can the NCAA discriminate between on campus and off campus sites?

The key in the rules is the "non-scholastic" part of the language. Because the state finals are sponsored by the IHSAA, they can play there, but they can't play summer events.

I don't know why the schools can't play holiday events, but if I recall, it has something to do with the fact that there is an outside entity hosting the event (I think of the Region Rumble with this), rather than one of the schools or the IHSAA.

valporun

Maybe some of the "holiday events" being hosted at colleges were being coordinated by boosters associated with the university athletic department, and they were only focusing on certain players or teams playing because of recruiting connections/potential for an athlete on one of those teams coming to that school for college?

bbtds

I believe I'm correct that the NCAA provides the phones for the NFHS (National Federation of State HS Athletic Associations). The NFHS I heard had to bail out the California Interscholastic Association financially which is now sending ripple effects through out the other state AA's. But it's not good to let your largest member go bankrupt. This in turn has had an effect on the financing that the NCAA has in helping the NFHS. Hopefully it will not become a bigger mess.   

zvillehaze

valpopal

Valpo loses out to Fordham on a recruit who had an offer, according to ESPN. Perhaps Bryce knew this when he got the transfers. From Today's New York Post:

Fordham landed a point guard, the position it had long been in search of, Monday night, picking up a verbal commitment from Blair Academy standout Jermaine Myers on his 19th birthday. The Rams hope the Canadian import can be the floor general to lead them back to prominence and mesh well with their array of scoring options like Bryan Smith, Branden Frazier and Chris Gaston.
The 6-foot-1 Myers, who averaged 14 points and nine assists for Blair this winter, chose Fordham over Valparaiso, Western Kentucky, Vermont and Middle Tennessee State.

"I really enjoyed my visit to Western Kentucky and I liked Valparaiso a lot, but when I went to Fordham I fell in love with it," he said. "The coaches are great. The people come out and watch a lot of games, they show a lot of love. ... I think there is an opportunity for me to play right away. I got a really good feel for the campus and New York City was very attractive as well."

He guided Blair to an 18-7 record and the New Jersey Prep A state final, where it lost to nationally ranked St. Benedict's Prep. Blair coach Joe Mantegna said Fordham is getting a leader who does what it takes to win. He could've averaged over 20 points per game for the New Jersey prep school, but created for others instead, though he did have big scoring games when the opportunity presented itself.

"He does what he has to do to win," Mantegna said. "He's the best point guard I've ever had here and we've had some pretty good players. He has a real high IQ, he's won at every level he's been at and he makes everybody on the floor better. He's just a winning player. He's something special."

sectionee

No mention of facilities again....seems playing time was the deciding factor.  Something this fella probably wouldn't see right away at Valpo next season.

wh

Quote from: sectionee on April 10, 2012, 09:25:41 PM
No mention of facilities again....seems playing time was the deciding factor.  Something this fella probably wouldn't see right away at Valpo next season.

I guess I'll just keep repeating - facilities DO matter.  We have been successful despite inferior facilities for one reason and one reason only - the Drews.  If not for them, our program very likely would have fallen on hard times the same way Loyola's has.  Like Loyola we would already have had to address the need to revamp the ARC.  Instead, the Administration (past and present) has been able to cheat time by riding the coattails of the Drews and ignoring their pleas for help.  Unless a facility improvement initiative transitions from the talking stage to the action stage - and soon, the Drew gravy train will surely end. 

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on April 10, 2012, 03:49:36 PMBlair coach Joe Mantegna said Fordham is getting a leader who does what it takes to win.

It makes you wonder how Joe coaches Blair Academy in New Jersey and stars on CRIMINAL MINDS once a week too. Of course having expert knowledge of criminal minds must really help in knowing what college coaches like John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Bill Self and others like to see in a player.  ;)

VU75

Fordham's homecourt is Rose Hill Gym capacity 3,200

valpopal

I had heard word about this last week, but I didn't want to post until I received confirmation. AD, a 6'7" guard, would be a nice addition if he came to Valpo:

Former Notre Dame guard Alex Dragicevich has visited Northwestern and Loyola (Ill.) and hopes to also tour Boston College and Valparaiso.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: valpopal on April 13, 2012, 08:30:43 AM
I had heard word about this last week, but I didn't want to post until I received confirmation. AD, a 6'7" guard, would be a nice addition if he came to Valpo:

Former Notre Dame guard Alex Dragicevich has visited Northwestern and Loyola (Ill.) and hopes to also tour Boston College and Valparaiso.

interesting. i didn't know he had decided to transfer from south bend.

espn profile: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51373/alex-dragicevich

hoopfan22

Saw him in high school. He's very good and would fit this team greatly!

wh

Wow, he would be a great get.  He would present huge match-up problems at either the 2 or 3.  Picture a '13-14 line-up with Dority running the point, Jay at the 2, Alex at the 3, Capo at the 4 or 5.  Mix in the other strong recruits we have coming in and that team could be every bit as good as we expect next year to be. 

vuweathernerd

based on where he's leaving, and the upward trend shown in the last couple years, i'd bet he ends up in evanston. especially being from northbrook. bc has dropped off the face of the basketball planet, loyola's still a ways away. the realist in me says call it a two-horse race between us and northwestern, and we lose out again.

wh

swiftmutiny

Your link isn't working for me wh, but here's an ESPN article on Orris and his situation:

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/high-school/post/_/id/2921/illinois-releases-crete-monee-pg-orris

valpopal

For what it is worth, an update on Mooresville Soph. Jacob Johnson (2014). He is also being considered by Purdue, Xavier, Evansville, Indiana State, Northern Colorado, Dayton, and Butler: http://www.thepurplecode.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=736

Jacob Johnson Dunk

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 14, 2012, 06:23:42 AM
Another possible recruit:

http://m.nwitimes.com/mobile-touch-2/?disableTNStatsTracker=1#05aadf94-85e1-11e1-a9dc-00163ec2aa77

Orris is a 6-3 PG.  ESPN/Scout ranking 89.
wh, some of the links you have posted recently seem to be specifically for mobile devices and don't seem to work properly if your are using a standard device.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Quote from: FWalum on April 14, 2012, 11:57:32 AM

wh, some of the links you have posted recently seem to be specifically for mobile devices and don't seem to work properly if your are using a standard device.

Sorry - maybe someone can re-post from their desktop/laptop.  The article is in today's NWI Times.

lowposter

He has committed to Creighton, then to University of Illinois.  Seems to have a little issue with committment.

lowposter

swiftmutiny

Quote from: lowposter on April 14, 2012, 01:48:47 PM
He has committed to Creighton, then to University of Illinois.  Seems to have a little issue with committment.

lowposter
To be fair, he's leaving Illinois because of the coaching change. I'm not sure why he changed his mind from Creighton though.

vuweathernerd

i know oriahki's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but for those who haven't heard, he's now off the table. signed a financial aid letter to go to mizzou last night.

vufan75

Orris flew out and is on a visit to Kansas State today, where Bruce Weber is now coach and who had previously recruited Orris for Illinois. Seems like KSU with Weber would be the leader at this point in the current Orris recruitment.

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/11820653-522/boys-basketball-cretes-orris-visits-kansas-state.html

valpopal

We can add 5'11" first-team All State guard Dominique Hawkins (2013) of Madison Central (Kentucky) to the list of those who have offers from Valpo:

"Hawkins averaged 19.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a junior.... With one season left, Hawkins has scholarship offers from Eastern Kentucky, Tennessee Tech, Valparaiso and Morehead State."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120414/SPORTS0505/304140082/Kentucky-All-State-Basketball-2011-12-Dominique-Hawkins?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s