• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/23 Game Thread: @ IUPUI

Started by covufan, December 21, 2011, 10:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

According to the team stats at Teamrankings, the Jaguars are efficient on the offensive glass, and don't turn the ball over that often.  We need to box out on the defensive end, control the ball and tempo, and hit our open shots.  We also need to hit our FTs, especially at the end of the game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/crusaders-jaguars-2011-12-23

Valpo   79
IUPUI   75

sectionee

Who all is going to this game?  This will be my first trip to Conseco. 
http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2011/12/game-preview-iupui.html

valpotx

Valpo 73
Ooooepoooey 66

Without Ron Hunter's enigmatic presence, IUPUI just doesn't seem the same.
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

I will be there. 

I was at Conseco on Monday as IUPUI beat Ball State before an announced crowd of 2,400 that looked more like 1,000.  Ball State was suffering from their Butler hangover and IUPUI outplayed them and won.  The Jags best player, Alex Young, will give us problems. He does a lot things, shoots from all over and Monday crashed the boards hard.

This version of IUPUI is similar to most years, they work pretty hard, take a lot of bad shots, are a little sloopy but are capable of beating us.

StlVUFan

I will be there, and if there's wifi at Conseco, I'll be there with my laptop open and connected to the chat room.

IndyValpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 21, 2011, 12:11:23 PM
I will be there, and if there's wifi at Conseco, I'll be there with my laptop open and connected to the chat room.

STL, I will look for you.  Attendance at this would could be pretty light.

StlVUFan

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 21, 2011, 01:41:43 PM

STL, I will look for you.  Attendance at this would could be pretty light.

I'll also be sitting with TD, who you should definitely recognize ;)

valporun

I'm guessing these contracts for games at Conseco with IUPUI were made well before Ron Hunter left for Georgia St.? Otherwise, why are these games still being played there?

IndyValpo

I think IUPUI uses this to help sell the program as their on-campus gym is probably one of the worst in D1, certainly it is in the midwest. 

valporun

"Look, it's bad enough we gotta play in this cage you call a gym" -Coach Norman Dale

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 21, 2011, 02:50:11 PM
I think IUPUI uses this to help sell the program as their on-campus gym is probably one of the worst in D1, certainly it is in the midwest. 

covufan

Quote from: valporun on December 21, 2011, 03:14:38 PM
"Look, it's bad enough we gotta play in this cage you call a gym" -Coach Norman Dale

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 21, 2011, 02:50:11 PM

Isn't the gym just an afterthought/practice gym at the IU Natatorium?  Most junior highs or high schools have bigger/better gyms.

bbtds

Quote from: sectionee on December 21, 2011, 10:47:20 AMWho all is going to this game?  This will be my first trip to Conseco. 

No it won't. They are changing the Fieldhouse's name. On Thursday at 9:30 am central time the Pacers are going to announce that the name is no longer Conseco Fieldhouse. So by Friday when Valpo plays IUPUI there it will officially have another name. What actually is happening is because the Conseco company changed their name to CNO Financial Group back in 2010, CNO Financial decided not to change the name of the Fieldhouse in downtown Indy where the Pacers play at that time, although the names on their buildings in Carmel did change. So when you get to the Fieldhouse on Friday you'll see the new name.

Per the story below there is a rumor the new name will be CNO Financial Fieldhouse.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011112200318

But one Downtown player, the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, may have jumped the gun. Its website boasts about its proximity to Conseco, "recently renamed CNO Financial Fieldhouse."

Hmm. Inside information? Or just a hunch?

http://www.sheratonindianapoliscitycentre.com/conseco-fieldhouse

valporun

Quote from: bbtds on December 21, 2011, 09:40:04 PM
Quote from: sectionee on December 21, 2011, 10:47:20 AMWho all is going to this game?  This will be my first trip to Conseco. 

No it won't. They are changing the Fieldhouse's name. On Thursday at 9:30 am central time the Pacers are going to announce that the name is no longer Conseco Fieldhouse. So by Friday when Valpo plays IUPUI there it will officially have another name. What actually is happening is because the Conseco company changed their name to CNO Financial Group back in 2010, CNO Financial decided not to change the name of the Fieldhouse in downtown Indy where the Pacers play at that time, although the names on their buildings in Carmel did change. So when you get to the Fieldhouse on Friday you'll see the new name.

Per the story below there is a rumor the new name will be CNO Financial Fieldhouse.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011112200318

But one Downtown player, the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, may have jumped the gun. Its website boasts about its proximity to Conseco, "recently renamed CNO Financial Fieldhouse."

Hmm. Inside information? Or just a hunch?

http://www.sheratonindianapoliscitycentre.com/conseco-fieldhouse

Must be nice to be the host city for this year's Super Bowl? Talk about some amazing marketing and publicity by CNO Financial Group!!

Valpo71

See you at Bankers Life Fieldhouse tomorrow.

Crusader03

I'll keep an eye open for Bono typing away on his 'top!

bbtds

Quote from: Valpo71 on December 22, 2011, 11:10:44 AM
See you at Bankers Life Fieldhouse tomorrow.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111222/BUSINESS/112220323/Bankers-Life-knocks-Conseco-off-fieldhouse-title?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|News

The name change to something other than CNO Financial surprised a lot of people.

http://www.bankers.com/AboutUs.aspx

It appears Bankers Life main office is in downtown Chicago but they are one of the companies that is owned by CNO Financial in Carmel.

valpopal

Vegas has the game at even odds. I will be optimistic:

Valpo  74
IUPUI  72

78crusader

Bad feeling about this one.  Reluctantly, I will say

IUPUI 77
VU 72

Paul

bbtds

sectionee

Today's game is a pick on espn's streak for cash game.  90+% are picking Valpo

valporun

I'm glad I looked at the list of games nationwide on ESPN's website, I wasn't thinking the game was at 12 CT. I was thinking the traditional 6PM start for this game. I'm agreeing with the close scores in this game though.

Valpo 76
IUPUI 72

valporun

I was just scoping out the IUPUI website about video for this game, and they do have a single game pass for today's game for the one-day low price of $4.95. I'm not going to pay for the game, but for any of you who really need the video for it, just thought I would pass this information along. I'll be over in the chat room during the game to enjoy catching up with those of you who also have the day off from work. Enjoy, and Go Valpo!!

valpotx

Wow, glad I just checked this!  Time to view the stats from work!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

I hope I'm wrong, but I would be AMAZED if we get the score anywhere close in the 2nd half.  Our guys have no team identity right now - just 5 guys running up and down the court.  When we were winning  the offense was flowing through Kevin and back out.  Now it's just a bunch of guys jacking up perimeter jump shots at the first open opportunity.  The only time they really work to get the ball inside is immediately after a time out.  Richie and Ben's guys go around them like they have lead boots on, Will hacks a jump shooter that he can't possibly block twice and gives up a 4-pt play and 2 FT's on an otherwise bad miss, etc.

It's hard to imagine that we have become a 2nd division Summit League team.

Crusader03

Van VICK really getting physical now!