• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

12/31/11: Green Bay Game Thread

Started by valpopal, December 31, 2011, 09:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

We're favored by 6 points against Green Bay. I say we make up for the missed 3-pointers against Milwaukee and win by 3 threes:

Green Bay 62
Valpo        71

DMvalpo18

either way i expect us to start to turn things around here starting tonight with a win against green bay. losing to them last year hurt.

covufan

We need a solid game - rebounding, 3-pt shooting, and hitting our FTs at the end of the game.

Valpo  -  77
UWGB  -  62

valporun

A big win for Valpo! We had four players scoring in double digits, and playing the way we needed them in this game. Ryan was close to having another double-double, but it was good to see he didn't have to work as hard this game to be what he's been.

I did miss most of the first half of the game, but thankfully we're at the time of the year when the Horizon League archives conference games, so I can see how we had such leads, only to give them up in the closing moments.

We need Kenney, Harris, and a couple others to really step up this conference season. I know everyone says this team is built for next season, but let's see what this year's team can do, now that we're sitting 2-1 in the conference. No reason to settle for "we're built for next season", when we see that we can possibly do something good with this year's team.

valpopal

On Valpo's offense: As I wrote in my comments after the Milwaukee game, Valpo needs someone to supply the offensive threat that Brandon Wood would have presented to take a bit of the defensive attention away from Ryan and to supplement Ryan and Kevin's scoring. Tonight, both Matt and Jay stepped into that role. With a third (or fourth) scoring threat, the opponents cannot focus their defensive pressure and our offense can open up. Making nearly 50% of the 3-point shots and 80% of the free throws helps!

On Valpo's defense: I'm not sure I can explain what happened in the second half when Green Bay shot more than 60% and scored more than 50 points! Also, despite his scoring, I can't explain Kevin's sudden lack of rebounds the last three games: only 2 against IUPUI, 3 against Milwaukee, and 2 against Green Bay.

vu72

I'd like to know when the last time was that that many 3's were made in any game.  Wow!  What a game.  Everything was pretty even (foul shots, percentages etc.), we just managed win in the end.  Matt is showing why he was an Indiana All Star, and I definitely see a confidence building in Jay. Will disappeared and I thought Boggs is starting to get his game together--much like Matt in many ways. 

We are sooooo much better at the line than last year, and as valporun said, there is no reason to give up on this year.  With CSU losing to Youngstown State--at CSU's place, anything can happen.  I presume we are tied for first at this point.

Tremendous effort all around.  Green Bay just couldn't miss and as a result the game was much closer than it should have been.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

any word on where Kurth was tonight?  Not on the bench, not in street clothes? 

MattCarter

Quote from: sectionee on December 31, 2011, 10:45:24 PMany word on where Kurth was tonight?  Not on the bench, not in street clothes?
I just looked back and he didn't play against Milwaukee.  I don't remember if he was on the bench or not.  Kinda sad it took us this long to notice something is up with him
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

sectionee

The end of the iupui game there was a strange moment between coach and kurth, could've been nothing?

wh

Quote from: sectionee on December 31, 2011, 10:45:24 PM
any word on where Kurth was tonight?  Not on the bench, not in street clothes? 

Richie Edwards dressed and looked ok during warm-ups.  I was surprised he didn't get in the game at all, even when Kevin got in foul trouble.  Did Todd happen to say anything about him?

sectionee

humbleopinion

Quote from: MattCarter on December 31, 2011, 11:04:23 PM
Quote from: sectionee on December 31, 2011, 10:45:24 PMany word on where Kurth was tonight?  Not on the bench, not in street clothes?
I just looked back and he didn't play against Milwaukee.  I don't remember if he was on the bench or not.  Kinda sad it took us this long to notice something is up with him

He was dressed against Milwaukee.
Beamin' Beacons

chipper955

Anyone know why Matt was taken out of the starting lineup for this game? 

Also, Alec Brown really impressed me.  He was able to score from all over the court despite seeing double teams the entire game.  He's going to be really tough to stop in the next few years.

sectionee

Maybe he is more comfortable in that 6th man role. He had success there last year.

vu72

Where is everybody?  Very few comments about the game.

Bryce was just shaking up the starting lineup and it obviously worked. 

Interesting about Tommy, probably nothing but who knows...  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

dylanrocks

vu84v2

Was Bryce sending a message to Edwards?  Not a bad idea if he did.

Pretty amazing how Harris and Kenney (especially Harris) can vary from one game to the next.  I think it is pretty clear what the team will get each night from Broekhoff and KVW, but the season is going to hinge on Kenney, Harris, Bogan and Boggs finding consistency.  And frankly, while I never thought I would be saying this, it is nice to see Vucic get some quality minutes.

Still trying to figure out of the glass is half full or half empty with this team...  Oakland, IPFW, and IUPUI losses were all terrible in their own way and Valpo really laid an egg against Milwaukee - but if Valpo had not laid quite so big of an egg against Milwaukee they would lead the Horizon.

lowposter

This team is taking a little time in developing consistancy.  That happens when you lose your two leading scorers and your best defender/rebounder/warrier, plus a valuable rotation player.  Let's not forget there is a new coach.  That is considerable change.  The non conference losses to Oakland, IUPUI/FW hurt the pride a bit, but that is about it.  The team must win the conference tournament to go to NCAAs, as does every team this year.  I dont see any teams receiving "at large" bids.

Hopefully experience of losing the close games will forge a better team.  The lack of depth may be the biggest problem going forward as the season really starts to grind now.  These conference games will be exciting, but challenging as there appears to be very few easy wins this year. 

lowposter